Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Nov 3, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #6,031 of 8,131
About 90% of what I listen to is Grateful Dead concerts... So here is how my headphones rank for that✌

1. Monoprice m1060
2. Philips Fidelio L2
3. Sennheiser HD598
4. AudioMX HS-5S
5. Philips SHP9500s
6. AKG 240
7. Sennheiser HD 280

I'm looking into getting either the Beyerdynamic 1990 or Amiron Home next... May just try the 990 before those I don't know.

Nov 4, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #6,035 of 8,131
Is there no way to tame/mod those ? They seem to go for 50-99 US in classifieds, which seems like peanuts for a Hifiman. :D Curious, but at same time don't need sidegrades (which pile up) :p ... in the closet.
i like them the way they are, with high quality recordings with acoustic and vocal music they are great, the acoustic guitar sound crispy and just awesome
but with poor quality recordings or electronic music with a lot of treble they literally are trying to kill you, take no prisoners approach
you can see how to mod them here - https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/he350/

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 3:10 PM Post #6,036 of 8,131
Is there no way to tame/mod those ? They seem to go for 50-99 US in classifieds, which seems like peanuts for a Hifiman. :D Curious, but at same time don't need sidegrades (which pile up) :p ... in the closet.
Remember that the HE-350 is a dynamic headphone NOT planar which is why they cost less. Not in the same league as their other headphones.

Nov 4, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #6,039 of 8,131
well...

number 1 : AKG K 340 (with mods.) the legendary first hibryd headphone with 2 cellullars driver a dynamic +electret like old stax... The only defect of this headphone was the lack of damping adequate material inside, and the imperfect material design of this complex headphone,then the sometimes so different and often contradictory reviews, or sometimes the insatisfaction with it.... Rightly damped, with a good speaker ss amplifier, or tube amp, this headphone kill all headphones under one thousand probably...They sound with a mid frequencies to die for, and a holographic, natural imaging power that makes many so called good headphone almost trash for me...Dont buy the hype,buy vintage is my audio motto...

number x: any of my other headphones in the order you prefer, Hifiman he 400, Beyerdynamic dt 150, Stax SR-5, Stax lambda nova...

The Akg k 340 is so good that it is difficult to listen to the others... It is not the absolute better headphone in the world for sure, but with is used price of 200 bucks, i smile at many thousand dollars headphones, they are better yes but with not a so great margin trust me...:ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #6,041 of 8,131
I'll always keep my pair of K240 sextett and K340s. They are the magic I compare the other stuff to.
Not the best, the magic for sure!

You speak few words but better than me.... exactly what i think: « Not the best, the magic for sure»

best regards

Nov 4, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #6,045 of 8,131
Man I really want to hear the HEX V2 side by side against the HEK V2.

I got to hear the HEXv2 and thought wow this is perfect....until the HEKv2. That HEKv2 was hooked to classic remix Pathos model IIRC, and my eyes almost fell out of socket. Quite an expensive pairing though :p . The HEXv2 was on Pathos .... it was a lower model.... Aurium IIRC ... but to me they were both amazing. But I could not unhear the HEKv2. It was perfectly musical/graceful for my ears. I saw Susvara but they wouldn't hook it up. awww shucks ! :p .. It looked real purrrdyyy:floatsmile: but the audio tech person said it was a step up, which didn't surprise me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back