Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Oct 8, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #6,001 of 8,131
TH-900. Just a fine overall driver. My kind of SS. I've only had these a little over a week and just can't get enough head-time. Not the bass cannon everyone makes this out to be. It's deep but very clean, detailed, tight and fast. I love the treble as it' so damn detailed. I'm hearing things I've never heard before in many of the songs I've heard many times.
MDR-7Z. These gets dogged a lot but I just love the smooth laid back sound this gives. Different versus everything else I have. The bass is deep but a little muddy and distorted but I like it, mids just perfect and liquid silky smooth and while the treble is a bit rolled off, I likie!
TH-X00 Modded Purplehearts. This would be #2 but it's so close in SS to the TH900 when I changed out the pads to the Ori's and did the Lawton driver dampening only. This is one fine sounding driver with the mods. It's so detailed, pretty V shaped but I prefer this, tight/fast/punchy bass (not muddy, fat or slow at all after the mod) mids a bit recessed and taking a bit of a backseat...but not too bad and the highs are just perfect with the right amount of detail. It's actually quite insane how detailed these are after modding.
AT W1000Z. They finally got rid of that asinine headband with their latest flagship but I have to deal with the one on these. It just doesn't give me a good fit/seal like everything else I own. I don't have a big noggin and more like the Beetlejuice guy sitting in the waiting room ( a bit obscure reference) But it still sounds really good. It's quite punchy but a bit rolled off at the top end. I like bass, but it's gotta be clean, fast and tight. Deeeeep too.
Meze Classic Gold. Probably the best $300 HP I've listened too. I love it and use it as my portable set-up with DFR on Iphone 7S. When I plug it into the LYR2, it sounds so good. Liquid smooth mids. Bass is VERY tight and punchy and doesn't bleed into the mids or upper end. This HP is so polarizing when I read many peoples thoughts on them. Doesn't matter to me, I love them and will NEVER get rid of them.
M1060. Very awesome HP for the price. I replaced the stock pads with Audeze sheepskin (definitely helped with the bass) and did the papertowel mod and it really got rid of the ringing as I was one of the unfortunate ones to hear it. I like this HP a lot.
HD 650. My very first HP as I've had it a good many years. I've loved this SS forever but have grown a bit bored with it as I just like very musical and fun sounding HP's.
He 400i. Another set of HP's I absolutely love. When I first got them they seemed very bass-light or should I say non existent bass. But changing out the pads to the leather Brainwavz and giving it more head-time, they really shine. Exceptionally detailed and one of the best from the group I own. They just don't get the head-time versus everything else.
Denon AH-D2000. Just another set that I really, really like. Now these are bass cannons. I replaced the pads with the stock TH-X00's and they sound brilliant. I just like them a lot. Again, they don't get the headtime.

I actually like every single set of Headphones I own. It's so hard to actually rank them. The Denon AH-D2000 even though ranked last is not a bad headphone AT ALL. I like it immensely. For my tastes, everything I own just rocks and I'm one happy man! I'm actually listening to the Denon right now on the LYR2 with some Brimar tubes and it sounds spectacular.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #6,003 of 8,131
ZMF Vibro Mk II These put an instant smile on my face and the comfort is ridiculous. Vintage maple burst & bronze finish, gorgeous. Balanced ZMF copper OCC cable is super nice and frankly they can use the power.
TH610 (with Brainwavz HM5 angled pads) - wish the midrange didn't have that slight dip but otherwise great. Stock cable is so nice I would never consider replacing it.
Final Audio Sonorous III (with ZMF Ori pads) - isolation incarnate with the music going, I'd call them pretty smooth. Again stock cable is top quality. A real sleeper headphone.

Any of those first 3 could swap places depending on what I feel like listening to.

HD600 - 7 year old pair (bought new) with replacement padding & ear pads, great summer headphones because my ears don't heat up too much. A balanced cable really bought these to life.
AKG K701 - Bought long ago, back when these were basically high end. Quite worn now. Sound stage so good it's basically cheat mode for FPS games. Terrible, awful headband and ok but non-removable cable. You can see why AKG changed the later models so much.

Oct 13, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #6,004 of 8,131
Hi there. Recently took some interest in audiophile sound. I'm looking for best value possible when buying cans, this is my current list.

1. Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO (upgraded from DT880) Good sq overall. best build quality and best set of accessories. Not perfect, the mids sometimes may seem a bit recessed and artificial with the balanced pads, but the sound becomes great with a slight eq correction. I've read that the mids are better with analytical pads but i haven't got around to changing them yet. The treble spike is luckily not distracting like on DT880.
2.1 Sennheiser HD600 - biggest issue with some is music is the bass roll, but the mids are nice and elevated. Details have certain splashy characteristics that are only present with HD600, so i'm probably won't sell them. Sonarworkś True-Fi takes care of the bass roll off very nicely.
2.2 Hifiman 400i - just got these. Suprisingly i find them the smoothest sounding over ear earphones i've ever had. Plenty of treble, but they are not fatiguing at all. Better bass than HD600 but not as good mids. And of course detail does sound different due to planar sound.
3. Sony 7506 - Although Sonarworks makes a positive difference to all of my (supported) cans, True-Fi works particularly well with Sony 7506, at least on par with Hifiman and HD600 with the software correction applied. Othewise a very detailed monitoring tool, but too bright for general listening.
4. Koss Porta Pro - i almost always recommend portas, when somebody asks me what cans to get without paying arm and a leg.
5. **** 4in1 - My gf lost these couple weeks ago, so i will either repurchase them or get something better, if something better exists for the same price. The sq was good after burn in, but i don't like iem that much.
6 Beats Mixr - actually not bad. Were a gift to my gf, but occasionally i use them. They should come with a warning though, they go crazy loud, i'm a bit paranoid that i damaged my hearing a bit when i was out djing with Mixrs
6.2 Pioneer Monitor 10R - Cool rertoish cans, yet uncomfy and mid treble spike makes my ears ring after less than 10 minutes of use. Perhaps Sonarworks could tame these, but these are quite rare.

I'm pretty content at the moment but i'm interested getting a set of Audeze soon, either LCD2C, or LCD-X for the after market price. I'm also dreaming about getting some Stax L-700, perhaps some day.

Oct 13, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #6,005 of 8,131
Top 26 headphones in my collection. The order may vary slightly depending on the genre of music I am listening to.

1. Focal Elear
2. Audeze LCD X, just added to collection due to Audeze $500.00 discount currently available. Moved into second close call for first.

3. Audeze LCD 2
4. Sennheiser HD 700
5. Grado RS1i
6.Hifiman HE 560
7. Beyerdynamic T90
8. Hifiman HE 400i
9. Sennheiser HD 600
10. Grado 225i
11. Philips X2
12. AKG Q 701(German Mod)
13. Audio Tecnica MSR 7
14. Meze 99 Classics
15. Bowers and Wilkens P7'
16. Sennheiser HD 6XX
17. AKG K7XX
18. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm
19. Monoprice Monolith' 1060
20. Bang and Olufsen H6
21. Sennheiser HD 598
22. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm
23. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250. ohm
24. Soundmagic HD 200
25. Soundmagic HD 150
26. Philips L2

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #6,008 of 8,131
That's what my wife keeps telling me. I am a true addict.
Almost afraid to ask, but top 25 out of how many? If you don't mind. BTW, reading that made me feel much better about the dozen or so I have.

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #6,009 of 8,131
@Tech Junkie, I wish my GF called me an addict, its better than "pack rat" IMO, LOL
Since I have made some changes to the heard, listed in order of usage:
Ypsilon R1 in mahogany cups
EL-8 open
SRH-1840
Ypsilon G1 in GS style walnut cups
Nhoord Red V2 in Angsana cups
HD700
HE560
Stax SRD-34
HD650
TH-600
SR225e
HD800
RS2e
SR60 (highly modded)
Ypsilon in rosewood cups
HE400 (highly modded)
HE400i
LCD-2f
MDR-1A
Momentum on-ear
V-Moda XS
MDR-7506
M50x
Momentum over-ear
DT-990 premium
K553
Fidelio L1 (ear pads modded)

Recently sold or gave away:
SR009
SR225i
Nhoord Red V2 in rosewood cups
T1 gen1

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #6,011 of 8,131
@Tech Junkie, I wish my GF called me an addict, its better than "pack rat" IMO, LOL
Since I have made some changes to the heard, listed in order of usage:
Ypsilon R1 in mahogany cups
EL-8 open
SRH-1840
Ypsilon G1 in GS style walnut cups
Nhoord Red V2 in Angsana cups
HD700
HE560
Stax SRD-34
HD650
TH-600
SR225e
HD800
RS2e
SR60 (highly modded)
Ypsilon in rosewood cups
HE400 (highly modded)
HE400i
LCD-2f
MDR-1A
Momentum on-ear
V-Moda XS
MDR-7506
M50x
Momentum over-ear
DT-990 premium
K553
Fidelio L1 (ear pads modded)

Recently sold or gave away:
SR009
SR225i
Nhoord Red V2 in rosewood cups
T1 gen1

Sweet. Hopefully GF enjoys listening to your collection.

Oct 14, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #6,012 of 8,131
Top 25 headphones in my collection. The order may vary slightly depending on the genre of music I am listening to.

1. Focal Elear

2. Audeze LCD 2
3. Sennheiser HD 700
4. Grado RS1i
5.Hifiman HE 560
6. Beyerdynamic T90
7. Hifiman HE 400i
8. Sennheiser HD 600
9. Grado 225i
10. Philips X2
11. AKG Q 701(German Mod)
12. Audio Tecnica MSR 7
13. Meze 99 Classics
14. Bowers and Wilkens P7'
15. Sennheiser HD 6XX
16. AKG K7XX
17. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohm
18. Monoprice Monolith' 1060
19. Bang and Olufsen H6
20. Sennheiser HD 598
21. Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 ohm
22. Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250. ohm
23. Soundmagic HD 200
24. Soundmagic HD 150
25. Philips L2

Wow..
I've owned at least 32 headphones (lost count) since I started in this hobby 11 years ago, now i'm happy with just 3.
I could probably go 20 years without needing to buy anymore headphones, now that I have the DT880 and T70 lol.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #6,013 of 8,131
Sennheiser HD 800 S
Audeze LCD-X (Close Second - A Bit Heavy)
Mr. Speakers Ether C
Sennheiser HD 600
Audeze SINE Headphones

IEM's:
Sennheiser IE 800 (ALO Modified Balanced Cable)
JA Audio Custom Roxannes
Shure SE 535 (Sensaphonic Custom Sleeves)

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #6,014 of 8,131
Wow..
I've owned at least 32 headphones (lost count) since I started in this hobby 11 years ago, now i'm happy with just 3.
I could probably go 20 years without needing to buy anymore headphones, now that I have the DT880 and T70 lol.

I am glad to hear you have overcome your addiction. Happy to hear that you found those special headphones that satisfied your needs. Maybe some day I too will overcome my addiction. Until that day I guess I will have to enjoy the journey.
I currently am eyeballing Mrspeakers Aeon Flow closed back cans. I believe they will join my collection soon. Damn this cursed addiction.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #6,015 of 8,131
Wow..
I take it you like the Beyer sound :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back