Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Apr 15, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #5,821 of 8,131
1.  EMU Teak w/Rosewood cups
2.  Fostex TH-X00 w/EMU Ebony cups
3.  Hifiman HE-6 fully modded
4.  Fostex TH-X00 w/EMU Teak cups
5.  Fostex TH-500RP

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #5,823 of 8,131
  ^^ Wow, you have really become a Fostex fan. 

The list I have, are the best sounding headphones for me.  They blow away most of what I have heard, enough for me to sell the HD800 SDR and Audeze LCD 2.2 pre fazor.  Bio cellulose drivers have me convinced they offer the best sound, and are open to modding.  I also sold my Foxtex TH-900 MKII, in favor of the list.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #5,824 of 8,131

Inventory of the collection has changed over the past couple of months............

1. HE-6 still the king out of speaker taps of my Pioneer Spec 1/2 vintage system
2. HD700 - yes..........it's true.  Even better than the HD800 to my ears, again, out of the vintage Spec system (tho from the headphone out instead of speaker taps).  If you haven't tried the HD700 from vintage you won't believe/understand this but the bass is outstanding on this underappreciated headphone.
3. HE-400 -  modded and run out of speaker taps it's a great budget headphone
4. LA7000 - at times I prefer it over the 400 for the thump
5. MD2000
6. Ultrasone Performance 840
7. V Moda M100

Ah, this hobby............change is the constant.  Not for long............

1. Pioneer SE Master 1 - so good I sold my HE-6 which I never thought I would. 
2. LA7000 
3. HE-400 from speaker taps (I go back and forth with the LA7000 as to which is best depending on my mood I guess)
4. MD2000
5. Ultrasone Performance 840

Sold everything else..............

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #5,825 of 8,131
Ah, this hobby............change is the constant.  Not for long............

1. Pioneer SE Master 1 - so good I sold my HE-6 which I never thought I would. 
2. LA7000 
3. HE-400 from speaker taps (I go back and forth with the LA7000 as to which is best depending on my mood I guess)
4. MD2000
5. Ultrasone Performance 840

Sold everything else..............
can you post some pics of your LA7000? Also did the full mod really improve the sound ? Did you lose some bass ?

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #5,830 of 8,131
can you post some pics of your LA7000? Also did the full mod really improve the sound ? Did you lose some bass ?

The cup change and the Lawton damping/angle pad combo clearly improved the headphone - no loss of bass but definitely tighter from the damping and deeper from the cups (they are deeper than stock).  The cable change did nothing for the sound, nor did I want/expect it to.  I did the Q French Silk cable change for the ergonomics - that Q cable is so supple and soft and is 5' long - the stock Denon cable is too long and/or stiff for my preferences. 

Overall the headphone is incredible for me - it's my preferred "semi" closed back headphone all time - like it more than the Sony MDR-Z1R that I had for a month and ended up selling.  The Denon sound signature is very much to my liking. 

No pics handy but will take one and PM you. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #5,831 of 8,131
The cup change and the Lawton damping/angle pad combo clearly improved the headphone - no loss of bass but definitely tighter from the damping and deeper from the cups (they are deeper than stock).  The cable change did nothing for the sound, nor did I want/expect it to.  I did the Q French Silk cable change for the ergonomics - that Q cable is so supple and soft and is 5' long - the stock Denon cable is too long and/or stiff for my preferences. 

Overall the headphone is incredible for me - it's my preferred "semi" closed back headphone all time - like it more than the Sony MDR-Z1R that I had for a month and ended up selling.  The Denon sound signature is very much to my liking. 

No pics handy but will take one and PM you. 
Nice, I have the TH900 and thinking of using Lawton Mod. Main concern is losing the bass slam and depth. I have the Denon on my list.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #5,832 of 8,131
Quote:
  You might also want to think about an amp for the DT-990  [...]  A BH Crack does wonders for the HD650 and DT-990.

Hmm... I have a Schiit Magni & Aune T1.  The T1 wasn't as good as the Magni, and the earlier description was with the Magni; "So very flawed, only nice with some music (ex: classical), horrible with others, really thinking of selling.".  I think the 990 are just as stated, very flawed...  And by flawed I mean mostly colored; very far from neutral, so anything with some emphasis in highs, sibilance or watnot, they can sound pretty disagreeable with piercing, excruciable & harsh treble... 

So definitely not a good overall headphone.  They can sound good though, as stated with orchestral; strings.  Right now listening to male singer + acoustic guitar, 990s give the voice this overwhelming harshness/sibilance, the guitar is very overwhelmingly 'sparkly', just not a good presentation of the music...  Cymbals are so often again so forward & overwhelming, the 990s are just a bad performer for most of my music collection, I'd say for 80%+ of the recordings, they'll just perform badly...  But... On those 20% where they do well, well, they do well; solid bass, wide soundstage, good imaging and decent resolution...  So imho if you're listening exclusively to classical, ok, if not, definitely wouldn't get my recommendation!

I can't see a point in trying to fix them with a new amp when you can just get a much better headphone without all its issues in the first place!  FWIW, if I ranked my headphones for any music except classical, they'd actually rank below the Senn 598, Sony V6 & Grados SR80s, and considering that they're much more expensive, that's pretty shameful, shish, they almost cost the same as the other 3 headphones combined.. 
confused_face.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #5,834 of 8,131
  Quote:
Hmm... I have a Schiit Magni & Aune T1.  The T1 wasn't as good as the Magni, and the earlier description was with the Magni; "So very flawed, only nice with some music (ex: classical), horrible with others, really thinking of selling.".  I think the 990 are just as stated, very flawed...  And by flawed I mean mostly colored; very far from neutral, so anything with some emphasis in highs, sibilance or watnot, they can sound pretty disagreeable with piercing, excruciable & harsh treble... 

So definitely not a good overall headphone.  They can sound good though, as stated with orchestral; strings.  Right now listening to male singer + acoustic guitar, 990s give the voice this overwhelming harshness/sibilance, the guitar is very overwhelmingly 'sparkly', just not a good presentation of the music...  Cymbals are so often again so forward & overwhelming, the 990s are just a bad performer for most of my music collection, I'd say for 80%+ of the recordings, they'll just perform badly...  But... On those 20% where they do well, well, they do well; solid bass, wide soundstage, good imaging and decent resolution...  So imho if you're listening exclusively to classical, ok, if not, definitely wouldn't get my recommendation!

I can't see a point in trying to fix them with a new amp when you can just get a much better headphone without all its issues in the first place!  FWIW, if I ranked my headphones for any music except classical, they'd actually rank below the Senn 598, Sony V6 & Grados SR80s, and considering that they're much more expensive, that's pretty shameful, shish, they almost cost the same as the other 3 headphones combined.. 
confused_face.gif

The Magni was one of the worst if not the worst pairings with the DT990 for me, it did just as you described, harsh, thin and sucked out mids.  The Aune T1 with a NOS Amperex was so much better with the DT990, agree that its not close to neutral but to me its fun.  I also had a HD598 which was far worse than the DT990 since no amp that I have paired well with it.  The MDR-7506 which is close to the V6 is better than the HD598 IMO, but I've changed the pads to Shure velour which makes them more comfortable and changes the sound a little.  My SR80i was a bit harsh and thin in stock form but after doing some mods (dynamat, felt, sorbothane and G pads) they were pretty good but gave them away anyway since the SR-225e (modded) is so much better all around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back