Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Sep 26, 2015 at 7:50 AM Post #5,176 of 8,131
  What do you like about the HAMT-1 that puts it above the HD800 in your mind?

One more note to add. Actually I was quite disappointed by the sound out of the box, because the bass was disorderly, the mid-range was plagued by emptiness and the treble was constricted. I was so disappointed that I voiced my discontent to the vendor, who said it would need 300 - 600 hours of run-in time to exhibit its normal performance. So I keep burning it in using my STS Burn-in CD. To my relief and excitement, HAMT-1 keeps improving and improving. I would say it reaches a settling phase at 700 - 800 hours, making itself an adorable headphone.

Anyway, it may be a matter of personal preference to rank HAMT-1 above HD800, no absolute right or wrong. Do you own both headphones? Let me know how you think. Thanks.

Sep 26, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #5,177 of 8,131
I do not own an HAMT-1, but I have an acquaintance who's considering purchasing a pair. It may not really be worth the trouble right now, since there's no established U.S. distribution and it's hard to find many thorough impressions of the model. I find them fascinating, but I would have to hear them myself to consider buying a set.

Oct 7, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #5,180 of 8,131

1. HE6 (by far my favorite)
2. LCD3F
3. HD800
4. AKG 712

Oct 7, 2015 at 9:00 PM Post #5,185 of 8,131
Audeze LCD-3f
Hifiman-560 w focus-A pads
Audeze LCD-2f
Mr speakers Alpha Dogs
Oppo PM-2 w either leatherette or leather pads.
Awaiting Zmf Omni Cherrys to add to the mix

Using Burson Soloist Amp
Hrt istreamer Dac

Oct 9, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #5,186 of 8,131
While the HE-500 is shelved and the 325i is away for a cable "upgrade",

1. Yamaha EPH-100. I prefer it despite having the 225i.
2. Grado 125i w/ Vibro cups. Hard Bop jazz sound sooo good through 'em.
3. Modified Koss HV/1. Outclassed SQ but I still use them in short intervals.

Oct 9, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #5,187 of 8,131
HI all , i just purchased these RAF Vintage Style Aviator Headphones, they are phenomenal. I cant find any info on the net about which company actually makes them , However they look remarkably like AKG headphones .What do you think ?

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #5,189 of 8,131
  Very nice collection... which amp do you use with your HE6

I use the Woo WA6 SE with the 6FD7 tubes. This amp is not optimal for the HE 6, but it does get plenty loud and sounds very good to me, even when compared to driving them directly from a speaker amp.

Oct 9, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #5,190 of 8,131
1. Audeze LCD-2 revision 1
Great FR-balance with a touch of warmth. Yes, that BASS is easily the best of this bunch: it goes all the way down and stays clean and punchy. They seem to make even some very compressed tracks sound open and clear. Mids are on par with my Senn-references (HD600 & HD650) - highs are better with a more natural sound on cymbals etc. Comfort is fine too with the new Audeze pads, the weight doesn't bother me in at-home-listening. My pair has a Canare cable with a Neutrik/Rean plugs, no problems at all.

2. Sennheiser HD600
A while ago I had HD650's too, but they were slightly too warm in comparison (also very similar in other ways). HD600 is my reference in neutrality - I can trust the frequency range very well when mixing etc. Mids are a certain highlight... Vocals sound very natural and distorted guitars rock like a beast. They have a slightly colder sound than the LCD's, maybe because of a bit less bass. Comfort is good and I even think this series of phones looks quite good, minus the fake-headstone plastics on the 600's.

3. Denon D2000
Great bass for hip-hop, metal etc. Surprisingly good soundstage for a "kinda" closed can. In pure sound quality they compete well with HD6xx's. Great comfort, kind of weak build and a cumbersome wire. Only for home use.

4. Focal Spirit Professional
These just might climb up the list, got them yesterday. SQ is quite neutral, with a "mix-ready" freq range. Less highs than my other mixing-tool (HD600), more bass. Very surprised about the soundstage and flat lows. The tight clamp provides nice isolation, all I hear when out-and-about is the music & the thump of my footsteps. I listened to them for about two hours yesterday, with only small problems with comfort at the end. Let's hope they last, seeing all the broken headbands this model has had. (Got a 3 year warranty from Thomann, which was nice.)

5. Creative Aurvana Live!
Awesome bang for your buck. The Fostex-made little sibling of D2000's, with a bit less bass slam and soundstage. Very comfortable, kind of a cheap construction.  If only these sealed better, they would still be very close to being my number one portable.

6. V-Moda M100
That bass was all I read about these before I got them - but, they are not too far gone in that respect. Bass has a big presence for sure, but it usually doesn't get overblown for my tastes (depending on the track). Maybe that boost should start at a lower frequency though, since on some mixes they might sound a bit boomy. Anyhoo, they have a much bigger soundstage + more details and clarity than I expected. The highs are smooth and non-sibilant. One can really jack up the volume without being too concerned about losing their hearing. The construction is the best of all portable cans I've tried. This is how you make a headphone to take all the abuse you can think of. Comfort is only ok, since I have a big head. They fit "just", when fully extended, not so much when I have a hat on. I ordered the XL pads last week, still waiting for 'em.

7. Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm
Built like a tank, truly comfortable. My first pair of "good" headphones. Bass and highs are boosted with a hint of sibilance. Overall it's a real contender still for an affordable well-sealing closed can. Way better than the ATH-M50's I had for a while (no soundstage, quite sibilant highs and shouty overall sound signature - what is the hype all about?).

8. Sennheiser Momentum
Very nicely built, pretty set of cans. Bass is strong and kind of all over the place, mids are quite nice. There's is little treble energy, which makes for a pleasant listen. Pretty comfortable for my ears, even with the small pads. In SQ-terms, 300 euros/dollars is a bit too much. But, these "fashion-phones" with different priorities. The 2nd version of over-ears seemed way more comfortable, like a pair of huge pillows around your head. SQ was quite similar, very very warm.

9. Sennheiser IE8
Nice comfort and a great cable (sadly with no controls or mic). Warm - it's the Sennheiser house sound, I guess. The highs are slightly unnatural when comparing to my over-ear portables. Nothing really to write home about in terms of SQ, but they get the job done o a hot summer day.

10. Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10
Much better SQ than IE8's, but - there is a big but. They need lots of work to put on with the flimsy and tangly cable and large nozzles. Good seal is a must, otherwise they sound very thin. When you get them in your ears properly, they sound great. They are quite bright and natural in FR terms - after LCD-2, HD600 and Spirit Pro they have the most flat and trustworthy sound signature.

Amping
I'm driving my at-home-phones through Apogee Duet's DAC & Schiit Lyr 2. (Duet's amp works also very well with basically all of my phones, nice amp for not really being a headphone amp!) When mobile, I mostly use my iPhone 5S - sometimes Fiio E7+iPod Touch. Momentum gets most advantage from an amp.

EDIT: Got a bit carried away :D I guess I could expand this into an article with photos etc... - where should I post it?  :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back