Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Feb 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #2,704 of 8,131
For me,

1. Hifiman He500
2. Senn HD600
3. Denon D600
4. Denon D2000

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #2,705 of 8,131
Nice triple post. Lrn2edit: click the pencil next to your post to add to it instead of making a new post.

Feb 22, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #2,706 of 8,131
Presently..

Joint 1st - Sennheiser HD598 and recabled Grado SR80s (Senns best for movies, chamber, small scale and acoustic stuff, Grados for metal/rock and faster/aggressive stuff).
2nd - Koss KSC75
3rd - Koss Portapro
4th - Beyerdynamic DT231
5th - JVC HA-S400

However, I've just ordered a pair of HifiMan HE-400s, so this list is bound to changes sometime soon!

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #2,709 of 8,131
My Lists:

1. Sennheiser HD650 - The Gold standard for me. Other headphones may be better, but these are the standard by which I will judge all other headphones. I am sure running them off an Oppo 105 is not optimal, but when I do, these things are absolutely INCREDIBLE!!!!! Unfortunately, because they are hard to drive AND open back, my use of them are limited
2. Sennheiser Momentum - My newest cans, already have impressed me tremendously and I have yet to use them as they are intended: every day portables for school/work.
3. Sennheiser PX360 - The work horse of the bunch. These have been used practically each and every single day for the last year. They are great headphones, well worth thier price when mated to a modest portable amp. People complain about how skinny the cable is, but like I said, Ive used these nearly every single day, in every situation: studying, walking, working out at the gym, working, they get thrown into my back pack, they go with me when I travel, etc etc etc. Never once had an issue with their durability.
4. Bose On Ears - Yes, I am aware of the scorn Bose products elicit round these parts of town, and sure enough, I now KNOW what you all are talking about. However, these headphones were responsible for me to get into Head (and Hi)-fi. They were a major step up from the crap i had before and made me want MORE.
5. Bose In Ears - See above

I should be receiving my HD429s soon, they will be used for the gym, playing sports purposes. Now that the Momentums will pick up the PX360s duties, the PX360s are going to be handed down to my wife; however, I still love my PX360s and told my wife she cannot take these to the gym, so I will be buying her a pair of Sennheiser HD201s.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #2,710 of 8,131
My top headphones in no particular order: HE500, HD650, ER4S

My second best headphones - worse than the aforementioned ones, but still very, very nice. Again, in no particular order: Audeo PFE 012 with grey filters, ER4P, DT990 Pro, FXT90.

I don't really care much about the other ones listed in my signature, although HD555 is quite decent and RE0 used to be one of the favorites of mine until the quality control on them went downhill.

I can't really rank my headphones any further than that for now as each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Feb 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #2,711 of 8,131
1. UE 7 Pro
2. Fischer Audio DBA 02 mk ii
3. Ultimate Ears 700
4. Monster Miles Davis Trumpet
5. Sennheiser CX 215

Feb 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #2,713 of 8,131
recent purchase of  hd 700 and further burning of denon ah-d 7100, my headphone ranking has been somewhat change.

1. sennheiser hd 800 - a bit bright but great sound stage and 3d imaging
2. hifiman he-6 - absolutely amazing sounding headphone but a bit lacking on imaging than hd 800
3. denon ah-d 7100 - great bass response, wide sound stage, and super comfy
4. audeze lcd  2 - great bass response and great imaging but too heavy
5. sennheiser hd 700 - poor man of sennheiser hd 800
6. shure srh 1840 - nice airy sounds and comfy but sound stage is not that good.

Feb 23, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #2,714 of 8,131
Ranked by best sound quality 

1. HE-6 - Grand sound stage, and weighty clean sound with great resolution in the highs, and fast bass. Handles fast and complex music with ease. Impressive, and engaging sound with most recordings. It's a bit bright in the tonal balance, and could use more bass, and better definition/relief in the imaging (perhaps partly caused by the bright tuning). They can be fatiguing, I usually don't use them for very long at a time. Very heavy, but somewhat comfortable, but the clamp is a bit strong even with the headband bend out. Nice soft velour pads (currently got the old stock velours on). Ore thing that would really suit this headphone is angled drivers, to make it sound like the sound is coming in front of you. If I was Hifiman, that would be my main priority for a new headphone. No idea if it's possible though.

2. HD650 - The classic do-it-all can. Perfect fit, but a little heavier than the ones below, can wear them for hours, they're not fatiguing at all, almost perfect tonal balance with forward mids, great attack - acoustic instruments sounds great. Nice open sound., but a little lacking in clarity, could use more bass too. I've used these for 6+ years, always been satisfied with them.

3. Creative Aurvana Live - Sweet smooth sound, nice boomy low end, good tonal balance, easy to listen to, good clarity and punch. Maybe because it's a closed headphone, the sound is a little small and closed in, but they isolate well which is really nice. Almost as comfortable as the HD650, it's very light, but it pushes a little on the ears. This is my newest headphone, and I'm using this most of the time both as a portable, and at home. Nice soft pleather pads. Liking this headphone a lot.

4. Panasonic HTF600 - Slightly bigger, and more open sound than the CAL, nice dark tonal balance, I think maybe vocals sound better on this than on the CAL because of this. Good bass. But overall it doesn't sound as good as the CAL, I think. Pretty comfortable, but they clamp a little. Using the stock pads pleather pads, which are not very good. I used to use these with my phone, and also at home sometimes, but I think the CAL has replaced them.

5. Superlux HD681 - Good punchy sound, good fast bass, but a little too edgy in the highs. Light in weight. bad vinyl stock pads, it's better with velour pads. Not using these anymore.

recent purchase of  hd 700 and further burning of denon ah-d 7100, my headphone ranking has been somewhat change.

1. sennheiser hd 800 - a bit bright but great sound stage and 3d imaging
2. hifiman he-6 - absolutely amazing sounding headphone but a bit lacking on imaging than hd 800 
3. denon ah-d 7100 - great bass response, wide sound stage, and super comfy
4. audeze lcd  2 - great bass response and great imaging but too heavy
5. sennheiser hd 700 - poor man of sennheiser hd 800
6. shure srh 1840 - nice airy sounds and comfy but sound stage is not that good.

Nice collection, that's pretty much the headphones I'm most curious to hear. I agree with the bolded part. I'm toying with the idea to swap my HE-6 for an HD800 
size]
, just need to demo it somehow. 

Feb 23, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #2,715 of 8,131
Rank the Headphones that Chris would like to own

1. LA-7K (Lawton D7000's), dat bass
2. HE-6, dat treble
3. HD800, dat audiophile elitism
4. Anything better than JH13 for CIEM's
5. Grado HP1000, dat Joe Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back