Rank the DAPs you've owned
Jul 3, 2019 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Rockwell75

Founder and Curator of The Watercooler Thread
Watercooler Travel Team
There exist threads like this for IEMs and headphones...so I figured why not players. Rank by whatever criteria matters the most to you (the more you can say the better).

1) Sony ZX300 - Rich warm sound, great intuitive interface, exceptional battery life-- close to being the perfect player for me, marred only by useless playlist functionality and no quick and easy "favorites" feature.

2) Fiio M9 - Doesn't sound as good as the player above or players below (but it does sound great) but gets points for having a great user interface, being relatively cheap and being really easy to make and edit playlists. The EQ is useless though, an the chipset is so weak that it's really only feasible if all you want is to listen to music off an sd card.

3) Cowon Plenue R - A nifty little player with great battery life and an awesome EQ. A little underpowered and not the greatest stock sound.

4) Questyle Q2PR - By sound quality alone this would be at or near the top. As it stands the user interface (both the software and physical mechanics) is so clunky it would drive me absolutely mad if it were my only player.

5) Fiio X3ii - Outdated player that still sounds great.

On the way: Cayin N6ii ...can't wait :)

Jul 4, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 51
1 A&Ultima SP1000
2 Astell Kern AK380 Copper +Copper Amp
3 Astell Kern AK380
4 Lotoo Paw Gold Diane Edition
5 Astell Kern AK240
6 Ibasso DX220
7 Ibasso DX90
8 Hidizs AP80
9 Walnut Stack-Walnut V2S+F1
10 Zishan Z1
11 Fiio X1+Amp

Jul 5, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 51
1. Zune HD
2. The rest

Jul 5, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #5 of 51
  1. AK se100
  2. AK SR15
  3. AK 70 KAI mod
  4. FiiO M11
  5. AK 70

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 51
No matter how great a dap is, it will only be great for a brief moment. As soon as you buy a dap you will start searching for another.

Jul 5, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #7 of 51
No matter how great a dap is, it will only be great for a brief moment. As soon as you buy a dap you will start searching for another.

You could say the same thing about headphones, but people always have their favorites.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 51
what windows are u using had one but sent it back as it wouldnt work with windows10
Windows 10. For a while the software would not install but one day I decided to try again and it automagically took. I recently built another Win10 rig and haven't tried loading Zune onto it. I will give it a go one of these days.

TBH, I don't use the Zune much any more but it still is my favorite: UX, Social (when it was actually operational), Audio, Form Factor.

Jul 5, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #9 of 51
This is so true :o2smile:

Jul 6, 2019 at 5:31 AM Post #10 of 51
The most stunning DAP I have ever heard is the DMP-Z1. Everything else is a personal preference, and "best" depends on the iems you are using.

Welcome to Head-fi, Sorry for your wallet...or whatever else they say.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #11 of 51
I like all my DAPs. I started out with Cowon S9 to replace my Sony MZ-RH1 minidisc player and thought it was a good alternative cause I wanted WAV compilations. Since then I have bought a variety of what was available.... but I think the Cowon's were deliberately made for me by the deity to go with my winner of the planet situation in Life on this planet. I listened to Cowons at the Mental Hospital etc. a lot. So I would say Cowons are my major DAP preference.... they sound richer with 'comfort-bass' and more Life-Nature related.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #13 of 51
1. Tera-Player
2,3,4.... nothing else really impressed me so far.

If I bought a Tera Player along with appropriate earphones I wouldn't be able to afford anything afterwards! :wink:

Jul 7, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 51
That's the whole idea: buy something that you are really happy with for as long as possible, 5, 10 years or more.
Could have bought it when it was below 300 USD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back