Rank the DACs you have tried
Sep 17, 2019 at 6:21 PM Post #46 of 93
Stuff I've listened to for extended periods of time. This is a mix of preference and technicality

Bricasti M1
Yggy a2/
Bartok
Rme adi-2
Bryson bda-3
Dave
Gumby A2
G0V2+infinity
Benchmark dac3 variants
Hugo TT
NAIM
Mytek brooklyn
GO450
Mojo
Mimby
Lightning dongle
Bimby
Fulla 2

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #48 of 93
Best to worst:

Chord DAVE + BluMK2
Chord DAVE
Yggdrasil A2
Chord Hugo 2 + Mscaler
Schiit Bifrost 2
Schiit Bifrost Multibit
Chord Mojo

Oct 2, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #49 of 93
From Top to Bottom:

Linn Selekt DSM with Katalyst DAC
Chord Hugo 2
Chord Mojo
Chord 2 Qute

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2019 at 1:29 AM Post #50 of 93
Trying to decide between Holo Audio Spring, Yggdrasil and a PS Audio Perfectwave Dac (all used) Priorities are Soundstage width, depth and precision and bass quality+quantity. Any opinions, oh yee mighty scholars?

Oct 7, 2019 at 10:51 PM Post #51 of 93
Hello.. here my rank.. all i own in or used to own it...
1. Chord Mojo
2. Mody Multibit
3. Meridian 263 (limited to 16/44)
3. Fulla Schiit 2
4. Audio Breeze ESS-9018K (china made)

all play using Stax SRM-252S with L300...

Oct 8, 2019 at 9:19 AM Post #52 of 93
Let's see how much I can remember.. ranking on enjoyment factor alone. Just for fun as few things were compared in like systems.
Metrum Flint
Soekris DAC1321
Ultra-Fi DAC41
Questyle CAS192D
Exogal Comet+
Ressonessence Labs Herus
Burson 160DS
ASUS Essence STX
Realtek 1220VB
Schiit Bifrost V1
JDS OL DAC
Realtek other than 1220VB

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #53 of 93
Haven't heard near as many DACs as I'd like to, but here goes.

1. Yggdrasil A2
2. Yggdrasil A1
3. RME ADI 2 (Listening to right now as I type this, sounds good!!)
4. Schiit Modi Multibit (Mimby) (from a few years back now)
5. Resonessence Labs Concero HD

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #54 of 93
Here's my 2020 list so far:

1.) Chord Dave + Blu-MK2 // Rockna WaveDream Signature
2.) Chord Dave // dCS Bartok
3.) Yggdrasil A1/A2 // Metrum Pavane L1
4.) Hugo TT2 // GMB A2
5.) Bifrost 2 // AK SP2000
6.) Hugo 2
7.) Mojo
8.) Bifrost MB (Gen 2)

Technical differences (tonality omitted) on ranks 3-5 are splitting hairs while Ranks 1-2 are a noticeable step-up with better mastered tracks. Rank 6 IMO has a too neutral tonality and not enough refinement that Ranks 1-5 feature while Rank 7 just has less technicalities than the ranks above. Rank 8 has bass tonality issues and has less technicality than Rank 7.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #56 of 93
I recently did a blind test between my Qutest and Mojo. Both were feed by an iMac and they feed my GS-X Mini driving Ether 2s.

iMac to Qutest via Supra Cable and iMac to Mojo via Amazon basic.

Qutest to mini via benchmark RCA to XLRM adaptor cables and Mojo to mini via Audioquest evergreen 3.5 to RCA.

Mojo powered from internal battery and Qutest from a external battery.

Qutest output voltage set to match Mojos line out mode.

I had my 10 year-old flip the input switch on the Mini and mark the position. I listen to a mix of about 5 songs for about two hours.

I made subjective notes on sound quality and which DAC I thought I was listening to. I was no better than flipping a coin at determining the DAC and my subjective notes made no sense as I consistently determined that I liked more whichever DAC I thought was the Qutest.

I sold the Qutest, as that is the only rationale thing to do. But, I am clearly checking this thread out as I am clearly not happy listening to only a $500 DAC.

Not sure how much this adds to the conversation or if is just a cheaper form of therapy than pressing the buy button on a new DAC.

Aug 19, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #57 of 93
I recently did a blind test between my Qutest and Mojo. Both were feed by an iMac and they feed my GS-X Mini driving Ether 2s.

iMac to Qutest via Supra Cable and iMac to Mojo via Amazon basic.

Qutest to mini via benchmark RCA to XLRM adaptor cables and Mojo to mini via Audioquest evergreen 3.5 to RCA.

Mojo powered from internal battery and Qutest from a external battery.

Qutest output voltage set to match Mojos line out mode.

I had my 10 year-old flip the input switch on the Mini and mark the position. I listen to a mix of about 5 songs for about two hours.

I made subjective notes on sound quality and which DAC I thought I was listening to. I was no better than flipping a coin at determining the DAC and my subjective notes made no sense as I consistently determined that I liked more whichever DAC I thought was the Qutest.

I sold the Qutest, as that is the only rationale thing to do. But, I am clearly checking this thread out as I am clearly not happy listening to only a $500 DAC.

Not sure how much this adds to the conversation or if is just a cheaper form of therapy than pressing the buy button on a new DAC.

Time to switch to R2R (NOS or OS) sounding DACs I see. Nothing wrong with R2R DACs (NOS or OS) and they offer interesting soundstage presentation and subtle tonality difference compared to very transparent sounding Chord DACs, or just upgrade to Chord DAVE which is in a whole level of musicality compared to lower Chord DAC lineup including the Hugo TT2

Aug 19, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #58 of 93
All lists are fun to read but pretty useless otherwise.

Most useful comparisons are from long term ownership. Next level down in usefulness would be controlled comparison (level matched and only switching sources) with known music selection (optional: known downstream equipment would be a plus). Everything else is useless for purposes of drawing any conclusion from the lists or rankings.

Aug 20, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #60 of 93
My list:
1. Holoaudio Spring 2 Wildism Edition NOS DAC
2. Holoaudio Spring 1 KTE NOS DAC
3. Audial-brand DIY TDA1541A NOS DAC w/ Jensen Transformers
4. SMSL M400 AK4499 DAC (from RCA output, mimics NOS roll-off)
5. Aune S16 AK4495SEQ DAC
6. Burson Swing w/ good op-amps
7. Topping D10s (great value)
8. Khadas Tone Board
9. Topping D50

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back