Rank the DACs you have tried
Apr 7, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #76 of 93
Also, Sony’s sound can be significantly improved by better power cables and interconnects.
I had a Hilo with an LT-TB slot, a TeddyPardo linear PSU and a Red Wave power cable.
This greatly improves the sound.

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #77 of 93
I had a Hilo with an LT-TB slot, a TeddyPardo linear PSU and a Red Wave power cable.
This greatly improves the sound.
That’s interesting. What was the combined cost of those items? For comparison’s sake, I added a Nordost Frey 2 power cable and Nordost Tyr 2 rca cables. It’s a bit of an overkill for this sort of headphone amp but the results were definitely fun for about half a year until I heard Chord Dave and ended up buying it a month later.

Apr 8, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #78 of 93
1. Mojo Audio EVO Mystique (t/o/t/l)
2. Border Patrol SE (sp/dif only)

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:09 PM Post #80 of 93
Chord Dave only has a single-ended headphone output on the front. Has anyone tried to connect your headphones to the 2x 3-pin balanced XLR outputs on the back of the chord dave? How does that sound if so?

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:32 PM Post #81 of 93
“Only” and Chord Dave is such a strange pairing. Comparatively speaking, its single ended headphone output sounds a lot better than many balanced ones that I’ve tried over the years. Some were decidedly cheaper while others more expensive. A well implemented single ended output can be better than balanced.

Someone has suggested using either rca or xlr outputs on the back to drive headphones or speakers. So it seems that it can be done. The question is whether there is any real benefit from doing that. The front headphone jack has a tremendous amount of power.

Apr 27, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #83 of 93
I thought all Chord DACs are single ended by design and the XLR outputs in the DAVE and TT2 are only for convenience. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Apr 27, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #85 of 93
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #87 of 93
very useful info! Thanks a lot! Looks like chord dacs are designed to use single-ended:)
Glad to have helped. I was always of the opinion that balanced was best until I heard how good Chord made single ended sound.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #88 of 93

Users who are viewing this thread

Back