Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
May 28, 2022 at 9:06 PM Post #586 of 839
Is Ibasso DX240 most dynamic DAP on the market? Why is there no mention of 240 on the thread

May 28, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #587 of 839
1. N8ii
2. M9
3. LPGT
4. R6 2020
5. N6ii
6. R6 Pro

May 28, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #590 of 839
Can I get a mini summary of N8ii v M9? Leaning M9 but sounds like the Cayin wins in SQ
They're both great DAPs, and I'd be happy with either one. I no longer own the M9, so I can't do a direct comparison. PLS take that into consideration.

Overall, I prefer the N8ii for several reasons. First, ingenuity. First DAP with dual ROHM dacs and dual nutube in a relatively small footprint is what drew me in.

Soundwise, in SS mode, N8ii is the cleanest sounding DAP i've heard to date. And I don't mean bright or thin. It is very transparent with good body especially in tube mode. I want to say n8ii has a slight edge in resolution, but i'm going off my useless memory, so you can probably disregard. N8ii has superb dynamics in low volume listening condition. In tube mode, general sound signature isn't too far from each other IMO. But n8ii is far more versatile with plethora of modes (P/P+, SS/tube, A/AB), and consequently, easier to pair with various IEM/HP IMO.

Aesthetically, M9 feels more premium in hand. And the 2k 6" is really nice and handy if streaming is your thing. It took some time getting used to n8ii's 5" 720p screen after using the M9.

Software wise, I feel n8ii is a bit more stable. I did have some issues with Tidal on the M9, and Roon playback did not work at all.

Both are very snappy to use and you shouldn't have any issues loading large offline library and navigating thru streaming apps.

Bottom line, both are great DAPs befitting the flagship status, and it comes down to personal preference.

May 28, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #591 of 839
They're both great DAPs, and I'd be happy with either one. I no longer own the M9, so I can't do a direct comparison. PLS take that into consideration.

Overall, I prefer the N8ii for several reasons. First, ingenuity. First DAP with dual ROHM dacs and dual nutube in a relatively small footprint is what drew me in.

Soundwise, in SS mode, N8ii is the cleanest sounding DAP i've heard to date. And I don't mean bright or thin. It is very transparent with good body especially in tube mode. I want to say n8ii has a slight edge in resolution, but i'm going off my useless memory, so you can probably disregard. N8ii has superb dynamics in low volume listening condition. In tube mode, general sound signature isn't too far from each other IMO. But n8ii is far more versatile with plethora of modes (P/P+, SS/tube, A/AB), and consequently, easier to pair with various IEM/HP IMO.

Aesthetically, M9 feels more premium in hand. And the 2k 6" is really nice and handy if streaming is your thing. It took some time getting used to n8ii's 5" 720p screen after using the M9.

Software wise, I feel n8ii is a bit more stable. I did have some issues with Tidal on the M9, and Roon playback did not work at all.

Both are very snappy to use and you shouldn't have any issues loading large offline library and navigating thru streaming apps.

Bottom line, both are great DAPs befitting the flagship status, and it comes down to personal preference.
so m9 is only better cosmetically

May 29, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #592 of 839
so m9 is only better cosmetically
🤷‍♂️ to each their own. I'm sure there are plenty of people with an opposing view. You never know until you hear both and form your own opinion.

But if you ask me, I prefer the n8ii.

May 29, 2022 at 2:02 AM Post #593 of 839
Quick update - gotta move N8ii up the ranks now that it’s burned in a bit more:

1. Sony DMP-Z1
2. Cayin N8ii (may change - still burning in)
Sony WM1ZM2 (may change - still burning in)

4. iBasso DX300 Max Ti
5. Shanling M9
6. Astell & Kern SP2000
7. iBasso DX300 Max SS
8. FiiO M17
9. Astell & Kern SP2000T
10. Cayin N6ii Ti (R01)
11. Shanling M8
12. iBasso DX220 Max
13. Sony WM1Z
14. iBasso DX300 (amp11 mk1)
15. Astell & Kern KANN Alpha
16. Sony ZX507
17. Sony A105

Another update - adding in LP6 Ti 7th Anniversary Edition. Hard to choose between N8ii & WM1ZM2. Both sound incredible and have different synergies with certain IEM’s.

1. Luxury & Precision LP6 Ti 7th Anniversary Edition
2. Sony DMP-Z1
3. Cayin N8ii
4. Sony WM1ZM2
5. iBasso DX300 Max Ti
6. Shanling M9
7. Astell & Kern SP2000
8. iBasso DX300 Max SS
9. FiiO M17
10. Astell & Kern SP2000T
11. Cayin N6ii Ti (R01)
12. Shanling M8
13. iBasso DX220 Max
14. Sony WM1Z
15. iBasso DX300 (amp11 mk1)
16. Astell & Kern KANN Alpha
17. Sony ZX507
18. Sony A105

May 29, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #594 of 839
"This is a journey into sound" (Eric B. & Rakim / Geoffrey Sumner)

By quoting this famous HipHop sample I guess I want to illustrate that for me this is a hybrid list influenced by what DAPs I have used chronologically, which headphones I chronologically had in my possession and how my musical taste has developed over the years, only recently discovering R-2R for instance. This discovery led me to start favoring a less neutral and warmer type of delivery in my DAPs 😊🎧🎶

1. Cayin N8ii
2. Shanling M9
3. Hiby R8 Stainless Steel
4. Hiby RS6
5. Cayin N6ii-R01
6. Cayin N6ii-E02
7. Shanling M8
8. AK Kann alpha
9. FiiO M15
10. AK SR15
11. FiiO M11 PRO

Last edited:
May 29, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #595 of 839
first do your ranking and we will answer you
I did not ever owned ToTL DAP. My daily driver is Fiio M11, but I had opportunity to listen some cool daps in local audiophile shop. So far here is my ranking using LZ A7 Gold On:
  1. A&K SP2000 (the reference. If there exist something better, you are going to refer to SP2000 to describe it). I describe sound as following, compared to M11. Sounds detailed, bass is textured with sub bass out of this world, it is deepest ever existed and no other dap reaches this sub bass even close. mids are textured, highs are textured, stage is holographic and layered, wide and deep.
  2. Fiio M11 Plus Ltd. Overall close to the reference, sub bass is very deep too. Highs are lacking compared, yet stage is impressive.
  3. A&K SE180. Lacking compared to the reference. Highs are peaky, bass is mid bass focused, mids are nothing impressive compared to the Reference
  4. LPGT. Mid bass focused and otherwise neutral.
  5. A&K SE200. Disappointed for the price. Two leagues above Fiio M11
  6. Fiio M11. Does nothing good, also does nothing bad. Has stage compared to Xiaomi Mi9T
  7. Xiaomi Mi9t. Dynamic, mid bass focused, lacking stage, otherwise as good as Fiio M11.

Jun 1, 2022 at 3:45 AM Post #596 of 839
I did not ever owned ToTL DAP. My daily driver is Fiio M11, but I had opportunity to listen some cool daps in local audiophile shop. So far here is my ranking using LZ A7 Gold On:
  1. A&K SP2000 (the reference. If there exist something better, you are going to refer to SP2000 to describe it). I describe sound as following, compared to M11. Sounds detailed, bass is textured with sub bass out of this world, it is deepest ever existed and no other dap reaches this sub bass even close. mids are textured, highs are textured, stage is holographic and layered, wide and deep.
  2. Fiio M11 Plus Ltd. Overall close to the reference, sub bass is very deep too. Highs are lacking compared, yet stage is impressive.
  3. A&K SE180. Lacking compared to the reference. Highs are peaky, bass is mid bass focused, mids are nothing impressive compared to the Reference
  4. LPGT. Mid bass focused and otherwise neutral.
  5. A&K SE200. Disappointed for the price. Two leagues above Fiio M11
  6. Fiio M11. Does nothing good, also does nothing bad. Has stage compared to Xiaomi Mi9T
  7. Xiaomi Mi9t. Dynamic, mid bass focused, lacking stage, otherwise as good as Fiio M11.
I'm surprised Fiio m11 plus LTD is close to sp2000. Has anyone experience with wm1a vs m11 plus ltd

Jun 1, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #597 of 839
I'm surprised Fiio m11 plus LTD is close to sp2000. Has anyone experience with wm1a vs m11 plus ltd
It is close in tonality and in the fact it is subbass focused. It is quality, that other DAPs do not provide.

Edit: rephrased

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #598 of 839
I believe that the differences between DAPs (electronic devices, in general) are smaller than those between iems/headphones (and other transducers, like, phono carts- more variation in how electric is turned into mechanical movement, or vice versa).

This does not mean that small differences are not important, or even deal breakers. There may also be a notion that superior sonics come at the expense of ergonomics - that conveneince features involve some degree of sonic compromise. I do not know anyone who has openly wished for a great sounding DAP that is painfully annoying/difficult to use. All that said, I'd like to see some mention of usability and features along with the sonic rankings - e.g., I use my DAP(s) almost exclusively for outdoor use, and some have screens that are simply useless in sunlight- or that have connections in annoying spots, or buttons that can;t be locked out and get randomly pressed. Gapless is kind'a nice too.

Comments?

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #599 of 839
0. DMP-Z1 (we really counting this as portable?)
1. WM1ZM2 / N8ii
2. M9
3. LP6 Gold
4. SP2000
5. WM1AM2
6. P6pro
7. SE180 SEM2
8. SE200 (AK4499EQ side)
9. WM1Z
10. SP2000T
11. M17

Jun 2, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #600 of 839
I believe that the differences between DAPs (electronic devices, in general) are smaller than those between iems/headphones (and other transducers, like, phono carts- more variation in how electric is turned into mechanical movement, or vice versa).

This does not mean that small differences are not important, or even deal breakers. There may also be a notion that superior sonics come at the expense of ergonomics - that conveneince features involve some degree of sonic compromise. I do not know anyone who has openly wished for a great sounding DAP that is painfully annoying/difficult to use. All that said, I'd like to see some mention of usability and features along with the sonic rankings - e.g., I use my DAP(s) almost exclusively for outdoor use, and some have screens that are simply useless in sunlight- or that have connections in annoying spots, or buttons that can;t be locked out and get randomly pressed. Gapless is kind'a nice too.

Comments?
basically a good idea - 1-2 bullet points for each dap as a short comment.

0. DMP-Z1 (we really counting this as portable?)
1. WM1ZM2 / N8ii
2. M9
3. LP6 Gold
4. SP2000
5. WM1AM2
6. P6pro
7. SE180 SEM2
8. SE200 (AK4499EQ side)
9. WM1Z
10. SP2000T
11. M17
very interesting so see how people rank wm1zm2 and wm1zm2. some see them just next to each, some rank each other 10 steps away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back