Rank the best sounding daps that you heard
Feb 13, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #481 of 846
Yes, I had the ar m2 I the past and liked very much the sound, but in this list are things that are a little strange, for exemple, like the ibasso DX200 with amp 1 and like arm2 at the same time, rank the ibasso DX200 with amp1 higher than m17 even without burning that is unthinkable to me, I had the ibasso in the past for me was almost unlistenable, is good only for people who has limitation in hearing high frequency due the age or other problems, the same applied to dx220Max (300max is way better), dx220Max can no be compared to m17, m17 is a lot smoother, sometimes when I had the dx220Max I ended my listening with the ears ringing same with DX200 with amp1, this is just my opinion, I don't understand that ranking, but I have to respect it, we all ear things diferently

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #482 of 846
I had the ibasso in the past for me was almost unlistenable, is good only for people who has limitation in hearing high frequency due the age or other problems, the same applied to dx220Max (300max is way better), dx220Max can no be compared to m17

for me your words and judgement sounds quite harsh , somehow rough-and-ready … or maybe just a little unreflected …?

…. assuming, you forgot to turn on/off humor mode, when writing the lines above ….

There is no contradiction in my statement, this is pluralism.

If you would limit yourself to one Sound signature (i.e. warm and smooth, very neutral, …) you would probably miss half of the pleasure and experience, given by the other 65% of the DAPs out there.

You can be aware on the differences and love black and white, green and yellow, or whatever. … You love it because you (probably) recognize that its different, but still be able to treat if its good or bad or somewhere in between, overall, or/and in regards of its individual variety.

Feb 14, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #483 of 846
for me your words and judgement sounds quite harsh , somehow rough-and-ready … or maybe just a little unreflected …?

…. assuming, you forgot to turn on/off humor mode, when writing the lines above ….

There is no contradiction in my statement, this is pluralism.

If you would limit yourself to one Sound signature (i.e. warm and smooth, very neutral, …) you would probably miss half of the pleasure and experience, given by the other 65% of the DAPs out there.

You can be aware on the differences and love black and white, green and yellow, or whatever. … You love it because you (probably) recognize that its different, but still be able to treat if its good or bad or somewhere in between, overall, or/and in regards of its individual variety.
Hello ,harsh? I am just making my reflected opinion, like I said is just my opinion, this is not comic.com,if can not see that, that's your problem

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #484 of 846
I gotta say M9 is really opening up nicely. The tonality is so well balanced and I love how dynamic and engaging it sounds!

I just use streaming apps (Tidal, Apple Music & Spotify). I used to use UAPP for Tidal but I prefer the Tidal app's UI and the ability to listen offline :)
Still recommend the M9? I'm due for a DAP refresh and seems like that's the best TOTL portable option

Feb 16, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #486 of 846
Still recommend the M9? I'm due for a DAP refresh and seems like that's the best TOTL portable option
Yeah for sure, M9 is great :) it’s still my most frequently used dap and it pairs well with almost every iem I’ve tried on it. I’m noticing some refinement in the bass and treble over time and now it sounds a bit more smooth and balanced across the FR. Out of the box it sounded a bit more bass and treble oriented.

Feb 16, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #487 of 846
Hello ,harsh? I am just making my reflected opinion, like I said is just my opinion, this is not comic.com,if can not see that, that's your problem
Giving your opinion is fine. Implying that a product is only good for old people with hearing loss goes beyond that. I found your comment "harsh" as well. Perhaps that is just 'my problem.' I enjoyed the dx220 with amp 9.

Feb 27, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #488 of 846
Looking for my first DAP to pair with my UM MEST mk2? Been using my LG V30 with EarStudio ES100 & Tidel and don't think I'm getting THE most out of the MEST?
I don't have the budget for a TOTL player so have been looking and so far the Shangling M3X seems the best in my budget range and wanted to know if anyone has the combo and what the synergy is like?
I have a pretty varied range of music genre's but it mostly falls into 2 categories, Drum& Bass and Bands The Cure,Athlete, Kasabian, Arcade Fire ect...
Also, has anyone had any experience with the cheap little Hiby R3pro Sabre? It SOOO pocket friendly with some nice feature's but, at the price it is I'm thinking my current set-up sounds better!
Thanx in advance for the help much appreciate it👍

Feb 27, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #489 of 846
Giving your opinion is fine. Implying that a product is only good for old people with hearing loss goes beyond that. I found your comment "harsh" as well. Perhaps that is just 'my problem.' I enjoyed the dx220 with amp 9.
You have the right to find harsh whatever you want, I only was talking about harsh sound, I enjoy 220 with amp9 to, there is another contradictory conclusion, 220 with amp9 has nothing to do with the DX200 with amp 1, I like diferent "types" of sound signature but I am not that "universal", in this forum I believe that we are dealing with adult grown up people, that can take a critic or an diferent opinion without using the victim key, but if I was harsh with you I am sorry it was not my intention, by the way the DX200 with amp1 if I had a 30 best daps list it will be the 31, and is universally known that the earing degrade with age

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #492 of 846
Looking for my first DAP to pair with my UM MEST mk2? Been using my LG V30 with EarStudio ES100 & Tidel and don't think I'm getting THE most out of the MEST?
I don't have the budget for a TOTL player so have been looking and so far the Shangling M3X seems the best in my budget range and wanted to know if anyone has the combo and what the synergy is like?
I have a pretty varied range of music genre's but it mostly falls into 2 categories, Drum& Bass and Bands The Cure,Athlete, Kasabian, Arcade Fire ect...
Also, has anyone had any experience with the cheap little Hiby R3pro Sabre? It SOOO pocket friendly with some nice feature's but, at the price it is I'm thinking my current set-up sounds better!
I'm using my MEST Mk2 with the Fiio M11 Pro and it's wonderful. Drives it with authority, great bass, great soundstage.

Mar 13, 2022 at 7:01 AM Post #493 of 846
The Hiby is indeed a lovely device, you can carry it anywhere on your pocket, it runs dsd (to me it's a plus), it has balanced out, Tidal/Qobuz via wifi. Sound is good for such a tiny little piece of hardware, it adds to the other features, but it is not midnblowing. I enjoy it, yet I find it a bit soft for being an ess chip (i do prefer it to some other harsh/bright ess9038 devices I've heard), and it won't drive any TOTL iem to its potential. I have the ar-m2 and the r3pro saber. The sound of the first is great, rich, envolving, and it drives anything much further into its potential, but I use the Hiby way more often (and in different case scenarios ofc) due to its convenience. It won't push your MEST as far as you might want I believe.
In my opinion, you should research a bit more on synergies, and perhaps I'd suggest get a competitive dongle (from E1DA 9038 -se or balanced models, bright, detailed and powerful - to Cayin RU6 -R2R feel, less clinical and more organic- or L&P W2 -haven't heard it myself but peeps are happy with it-) instead of a DAP at that price range. I can't make any suggestion based on your music library, I do listen from electro or braincore to barroque classical music, folk or jazz , and I don't really mind using the same gear for it. Perhaps the iems you have already give you the edge on it, and source shouldn't be much of a worry, but I can't tell :3

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #494 of 846
Yeah for sure, M9 is great :) it’s still my most frequently used dap
Since soon I will be an M9 owner, would you still put M9 bellow WM1Z?
If so, which FW are you using on the 1Z?
And what would you say is better in the sound signature of the 1Z?

Mar 13, 2022 at 12:52 PM Post #495 of 846
Since soon I will be an M9 owner, would you still put M9 bellow WM1Z?
If so, which FW are you using on the 1Z?
And what would you say is better in the sound signature of the 1Z?

When do you get your M9? Really excited to hear your thoughts on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back