Random temporary hearing loss?
Mar 31, 2006 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

manoftranquility

New Head-Fier
It happens to me a couple of times a month. A few years ago I would listen to music at unsafe levels, but for the past several I am very carefull about what I expose my ears to (wear earplugs while mowing the lawn and such). It just kind of hits me when I am sitting in class or at my computer and I go pretty much deaf in my left ear except for a moderate ringing noise and after about 30 seconds things return to normal. The next few hours after I hear most noises normally, but in the left ear some sounds lose thier impact. I can still hear it, I just can't hear the sharp impact like I can in my right.

I have minor tinnitus but it hasn't gotten any worse for awhile, so I dont think its related. I have layed off the headphones for about a month and a half with only the occasional use. I always have a fan running in when I sleep, I've been trying to shut it off when possible, but I grew up with allergies and that damned purifier kind of made me dependent on some sort of white noise while I sleep. I'm also a runner, and I would say where I live here in ohio its very windy about every other day. I've heard some people claim when driving with their windows open for years have caused them some hearing problems, I dont know, I guess I'm just searching for a reason for this weird occurance. Maybe I should go see an Audiologist?

Am I losing my hearing, anyone else have similar experiences?
confused.gif

Mar 31, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #3 of 20
I've had similar experiences. Input from one of the ears becomes zero, replaced with a tinnitus ringing tone for 15 seconds or so. Then everything goes back to normal. I take it this is normal behavior of the hearing system. I see no connection with instances of overload, such as visiting clubs, concerts and so on. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #4 of 20
That has happend to me once before, recently actually. And I don't listen to anything very loud, in fact I have been making a point to only listen to my headphones as loud as I need to properly hear the sound.

Mar 31, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 20
I'm no doctor, but I think this sort of thing is normal. It happens to me once every few months. And I have been tested and have excellent hearing.

Apr 1, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #6 of 20
I wouldn't worry about it. The same thing happens to me.
A couple of weeks ago I had a slight cold and all I could hear was a bloated bass sound. That lasted for two or three days.
I've had my ears checked by audiologists in the military and they didn't find anything other than a defect I was born with in my left ear.
Don't worry about it. You're fine.
But then again, it would hurt to have an exam.

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:28 AM Post #7 of 20
every so often I'll have a sudden drop off of hearing in one ear followed by a ping and ring, the sound will fade back in over a few seconds and then things go back to normal..

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:42 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Leopold
I've had similar experiences. Input from one of the ears becomes zero, replaced with a tinnitus ringing tone for 15 seconds or so. Then everything goes back to normal. I take it this is normal behavior of the hearing system. I see no connection with instances of overload, such as visiting clubs, concerts and so on. Maybe I'm wrong.

I have the same thing too, part of life. Now if the ringing doesn't stop and your hearing doesn't return...THEN I would be worried!
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #9 of 20
I've had some of those ringing moments, too, mostly when just watching TV, reading, etc. But I had longer ringing experiences when I stupidly used iBuds to block out noise...
I don't know what causes it, but I've always thought it was involved with earwax affecting the eardrum in some ways.

Apr 1, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 20
Happens to me every few days, and I am very careful with my hearing. It's usually in my left ear. Ringing fades in, goes for a few seconds, then fades out. Then everything sounds a bit muffled in that ear for a little while. Popping my eustachian tubes helps a bit.

Apr 2, 2006 at 10:52 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
That's like a smoker asking another smoker if it is "normal" to have those awful yellow stains on their teeth and fingers...
biggrin.gif

See a doctor.

Ha, good point. I'll see about getting an appointment set up.

Apr 2, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer
That's like a smoker asking another smoker if it is "normal" to have those awful yellow stains on their teeth and fingers...
biggrin.gif

See a doctor.

Are you saying that it sort of comes w/ the territory? I think that it's fairly normal and is part of the normal functioning of the hearing system, but can be exacerbated if you drink alot of caffeine or have sinus problems, since both of those things can affect your ears/hearing.

Still, going to the doctor would at least give you the reassurance of knowing that it's nothing serious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back