Rainy Day Musings on System Tweaking
post-748372
Post #1 of 1

TB1

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Evaluating the effects of tweaks and component changes in our systems is part of the never-ending quest to achieve sonic nirvana. I’ve found that nearly everything matters to some degree: room, setup within room, AC, ICs, isolation, tweaks, components, media used, time of day, phase of moon etc. Assuming of course that your rig is capable of resolving such differences and that you are an open-minded active listener. And no, just throwing money into the set up does not guarantee this! I’ve heard and used some great budget systems.

Some changes are so obvious - others subtler or of course non-existent. To complicate matters further we are evaluating a unique slice of space and time- once the music is over only a memory remains. We are comparing memories and weighing the importance of the various likes/dislikes within those specific slices of time past. When things fall into place you will know it. Those are the times that you stop thinking and relax into the music digging through you collection to rediscover old favorites. At this point you most likely have a good baseline reference! Enjoy it, savor it, get to know it with a variety of your favorite recordings (these favorites will become an important tool as you look for upgrades). Over time the things about your system that hit your hot buttons will become your own “internal standard”.

When and if you get the itch to try other components/tweaks/accessories it will become obvious to you if these changes impact these “standards”. I generally find that quick A/B comparisons are frustrating. Put a component in and let it remain in your system for a while – long enough to let it burn in and/or settle down and long enough to go through your reference recordings. Are any changes better? Worse? Non-existent? Or is it just different? Are you anxious to put your system back the way it was or has your new system become your new reference baseline?

Open your mind, listen carefully and enjoy the journey…..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)