Rain Jackets?

1. mrip541
    Anyone here into outdoor gear? I'm looking for a waterproof and windproof rain jacket that can be worn in warm or cold weather, with a backpack if needed. When I say waterproof I mean can withstand hours in the driving rain. I currently have a noname cheapo jacket that not only isn't actually waterproof but it doesn't breathe either, so I get soaked and wildly overheated at the same time. It's the worst.

I'm currently looking at (i) the Columbia Outdry Extreme shell which has a permanently waterproof layer on the outside of the jacket , (i) the Outdoor Research Realm which has very good reviews but does appear to soak through eventually, or (iii) the TNF Hyperair GTX which also has an outer permanent waterproof layer, except that it's not designed to be durable.

Anyone have thoughts on these or other comparable jackets? 

2. skimminst
    Hi,
    I would got for the Columbia, I did own some of this brand and all were fine.

But now I am more into Patagonia gear:
    http://www.patagonia.com/product/mens-piolet-jacket-for-alpine-climbing/83381.html?dwvar_83381_color=FGE&cgid=mens-jackets-vests-rainwear#tile-4=&start=1&sz=24

For a real Rain Jacket: http://www.derbe-hamburg.de/ [​IMG]

3. obobskivich
    I have a North Face shell jacket that would satisfy this - its marketed/labeled as a parka but its just the wind/water-proof outer layer of a parka (so it can be worn in the spring/summer too, if needed). I forget what its "actual" name is, but it says "HyVent" under the North Face logo. I don't recall it costing a whole lot. It's been durable enough to last for ~10 years at this point without significant damage - figure its good enough, haha.

You might also look at HellyHansen, which if I recall correctly, REI does not sell.

4. MiLeX
    I have the North Face MEN'S EVOLUTION II TRICLIMATE® JACKET
    https://www.thenorthface.ie/shop/en-gb/tnf-ie/men-jackets-triclimate-3-in-1/men%26-39%3Bs-evolution-ii-triclimate%26-174%3B-jacket-CG53?variationId=HDA

Not cheap, but it was worth the money, use it all year as you can add or remove the inner layers, it's perfect for me. 

5. obobskivich

That's the one - that's it. Mine didn't come with the inner layer (and cost a bit less as a result), but it's otherwise the same. :)

6. eteina
    For a safe buy search anything with Gore-Tex and if you want it to be fit for use in cold and warm weather look for a model that has a incorporated detachable inner warming fabric.

7. florencephile

I use a rain jacket provided by the local Electric company, surprisingly well made.  maybe you know a friend that works for your energy company?

8. Asspirin
    Rab make some pretty decent stuff

9. Muinarc
    I have a goretex Arc'Teryx rain jacket and it's probably the best jacket I've ever owned, I love it.

10. CactusPete23
    "Neo-Shell" is a newer technology with the wp/breathable film on the outside (like the columbia outdry) but it's not as thick, nor as shiny as the Outdry... Several folks are making jackets with it..

11. mgc468
    You really can’t go to far wrong with anything made with goretex. I have an Arcteryx brand jacket, I forget which model. It’s a bit expensive even if you find it on sale but it’s fantastic.