RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
May 12, 2019 at 6:01 AM Post #363 of 1,184
I tried the Rai Penta yesterday at E-Earphone in Tokyo...and fell in love with it! Its sound, look and feel has such a beautiful simplicity - perfectly my taste. And I haven`t worn such a well fitting IEM for a while.
I compared it to several other hybrid earphones and I must say the one that resembled its signature the most was the IT04 by iBasso. I feel these two have a very similar approach, just the Meze sounds like a refined version of the IT04 to my ears. Solaris sounds slightly wider with a tad more layering and also bass rumble, but the same time also quite a bit sharper and more fatiguing imo. The Meze has this kind of signature that might not stand out on the first listen, but it lets you realise how well tuned it is after a while. Again: Beautiful simplicity. Fidue Sirius, Oriolus and NC5 ...all have more mid bass and less extention in the highs...while Oriolus comes the closest to Rai Pentas extension.

Last edited:
May 12, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #364 of 1,184
I tried the Rai Penta yesterday at E-Earphone in Tokyo...and fell in love with it! Its sound, look and feel has such a beautiful simplicity - perfectly my taste. And I haven`t worn such a well fitting IEM for a while.
I compared it to several other hybrid earphones and I must say the one that resembled its signature the most was the IT04 by iBasso. I feel these two have a very similar approach, the Meze sounds like a refined version of the IT04 to my ears. Solaris sounds slightly wider with a tad more layering and also bass rumble, but the same time also quite a bit sharper and more fatiguing imo. The Meze has this kind of signature that might not stand out on the first listen, but lets you realise how well thought it is after a while. Again: Beautiful simplicity. Fidue Sirius, Oriolus and NC5 ...all have more mid bass and less extention in the highs...while Oriolus comes the closest to Rai Pentas extention.

Nice observations @Hanesu,

Personally have not heard Fidue, Oriolus or NC 5 though I would suggest adding Fitear Parterre to seeing how Rai Penta sits sound wise.
Subjectively & Personally, I find the Rai Penta sits below the Parterre in sound quality though this is neither a good or bad thing, just is as I enjoy both a lot.

Hope you have a great day !

May 12, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #365 of 1,184
Over 100 hours of burnin and the soundstage is a bit wider and vocals are getting more addictive.

Listened to The Chainsmokers' "Don't Say" today and boy that bass punch in this track using the Rai Penta is awesome! Once in a while there will be tracks like this where Rai Penta's bass jumps out and surprises you.

May 12, 2019 at 6:01 PM Post #368 of 1,184
How do these sound straight out of a phone?
Even from my elderly Samsung S5, they sound excellent using UAPP as the player. Very easily driven.

May 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #369 of 1,184
Still at around 40 hrs of burn-in. Been listening to these using comply foams.. I first tried the black silicone tips that comes in the package ---> too much bass. Next I tried spinfit and ortofon tips --> still a bit too thin-sounding for my taste.

May 12, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #370 of 1,184
Still at around 40 hrs of burn-in. Been listening to these using comply foams.. I first tried the black silicone tips that comes in the package ---> too much bass. Next I tried spinfit and ortofon tips --> still a bit too thin-sounding for my taste.
Give the JVC Spiral Dots a try. I think they might slot well between the ones you have tried.

May 13, 2019 at 8:33 AM Post #371 of 1,184
I thought the supplied cable was a bit etched and in character and leaned out the mids too much. I tried a dark sounding cable I had with me and they sounded a bit dark so good sign. I suspect once you get your interfacing sorted, these are top notch since they seemed cohesive and detailed without any notable nonlinearities. It was a show so it may also have been breakin related. They had them on the side so not sure the hours. Emphasis was on the planars.:L3000:

Last edited:
May 13, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #372 of 1,184
Really looking for more impressions on this IEM especially comparisons with the CA Solaris. Not able to find a whole lot on google about these either which is a little worrying. Interested in impressions with someone who has both and both have been burnt in. Looking to add a Hybrid to my collection of Andromeda, Atlas and Isine 20's.

May 13, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #373 of 1,184
Really looking for more impressions on this IEM especially comparisons with the CA Solaris. Not able to find a whole lot on google about these either which is a little worrying. Interested in impressions with someone who has both and both have been burnt in. Looking to add a Hybrid to my collection of Andromeda, Atlas and Isine 20's.
Not many Google reviews or info as the initial production has mostly gone to the Asian market due to the high demand there. As explained to me at the Axpona show, production is slow due to the time required to build each unit. Additionally, there are still a large number of pre-orders from US purchasers that need to be delivered before distributors receive stock for immediate orders. I think at this point, there are still relatively few Head-Fi'ers who have them in hand.

May 13, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #374 of 1,184
Not many Google reviews or info as the initial production has mostly gone to the Asian market due to the high demand there. As explained to me at the Axpona show, production is slow due to the time required to build each unit. Additionally, there are still a large number of pre-orders from US purchasers that need to be delivered before distributors receive stock for immediate orders. I think at this point, there are still relatively few Head-Fi'ers who have them in hand.

This would explain a lot, thanks for the quick response. Very interested to hear more comparisons including this IEM so I shall wait with baited breath

May 13, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #375 of 1,184
This would explain a lot, thanks for the quick response. Very interested to hear more comparisons including this IEM so I shall wait with baited breath
x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back