RAI Penta -- Meze Audio's Flagship IEM with Penta Hybrid Driver Technology
Sep 24, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #737 of 1,184
Great review! thanks for sharing this. Look forward to the comparisons.

Thanks and it apparently makes the homepage right now, honored :blush:

Comparisons with FIBAE7 and EM64 are upcoming!

3C8195F6-13D6-4DD8-894B-E5AA7D1A1B8D.png

Sep 24, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #739 of 1,184
Well deserved! I have said goodbye to my z1r but kept RAI PENTA:)

Thanks, believe it or not ever since my first review and first homepage (the Solaris) I am still surprised each time... good thing for the Penta to get a little spotlight :)

Sep 24, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #740 of 1,184
There's something so 'real' sounding about this IEM. If you are sensitive to resonances and damp them with foams - you really don't have to EQ a thing this way. At first, I was asking for a bit more above 10K, but I've really grown to appreciate the tuning choice here between upper and middle treble. It is precisely this mid treble bump that makes them sound so natural. If you can tame this treble lift with foams it and prevent it from jumping out of the mix too much, it's outstandingly realistic. The cymbals actually have balanced lower and upper overtones and sound more like a real acoustic drum set. Many IEMs overdo the upper treble for excitement and airy sparkle, but it ends up sounding artificial (yes, you andro).

I have been using them sans EQ with genuine comply isolation T400 medium and it sounds much better balanced in the upper mids and highs compared to using my custom tips.

Penta is a keeper. And well done on the review @davidmolliere

Sep 25, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #741 of 1,184
I added the comparison to FIBAE7 in the review... EM64 is due tomorrow!

Select Comparisons

Custom Art FIBAE7

4811C777-6ED5-40C0-AEE1-63EAA34B2119.jpeg

The FIBAE7 is the latest flagship from Custom Art and priced very similar to the Penta at 1100€, which is quite competitive on the current (bullish) market. It can be purchased both in universal and custom version. I’ll be comparing the Penta with Custom Art Silicon tips and the custom FIBAE7 I have in my collection. The Penta and FIBAE7 share a beautifully executed balance across the frequency range, just a very different presentation and a warmer tilt to the FIBAE7. From this point of view the Penta is more reference and the FIBAE7 is more on the euphonic side of things.

When switching from the Penta to the FIBAE7, the most important difference you’ll notice right away is how full bodied and thick the FIBAE7 sounds comparatively to the Rai Penta. The Penta almost has a feather like touch to notes compared to the FIBAE7. This is mainly due to the lower mids tuning, leaner on the Penta and significantly more present in the FIBAE7. Vocals are a bit more forward in the mix and lusher as well, this is a flattering presentation with more power to male vocals and sweeter tone to female. While they share similar ability to convey nuances of vocals and instruments, the Penta is more strictly accurate in its tone and more articulate.

I also believe the absence of venting on the FIBAE7 makes for more dense presentation of notes overall including more bass presence and weight. Despite featuring 2 BA for bass against 1 DD for the Penta, the FIBAE7 has more bass kick and even subs can be physically felt which is something to behold. This carries over the treble section as well where the lower treble has significantly more weight and body the treble impact is greater. On the flip side the Penta has better layering and detail is more apparent with a clearer signature.

The Penta feels more open and has better separation, the FIBAE7 feels more of a whole with less separation but more of a continuum of sound. The FIBAE7 is more organic, the overall signature is richer in a way that will be too much for some especially with thicker sounding sources. The Penta feel more open mainly thanks to the air brought by its thinner tuning versus the thicker FIBAE7. Soundstage wise, the Penta is wider but the FIBAE7 is taller and deeper. Note attack is snappier on the Penta and softer with the FIBAE7 which remains the epitome of buttery smooth at all times.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #742 of 1,184
Greetings from Cape Town, South Africa! It gives me great pleasure to post the very first-ever review of the Rai Penta from deepest, darkest Africa as part of the World Tour, following on from @davidmolliere's excellent review above. You'll find the full review here.

Also, if you're in the mood for a 6-minute silent unboxing video, I made one just for you here:

Thanks again to @Andykong and @MezeTeam for picking me as part of the tour, and I hope this review helps spread the love for your fabulous IEM. It will also be posted on my review blog, the Headonist, in the coming days, and linked via my Facebook channel too.

Look forward to your feedback!

Edit: the Headonist review is now online. Same review but better looking :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #744 of 1,184
Looking to trade my 4.4m balanced Meze cable for a 2.5mm version.

Let me know if anyone wants to trade?

Sep 28, 2019 at 6:04 AM Post #746 of 1,184
Today I have been giving the Penta a run for its money against Earsonics EM64, I have added the comparison to my review.

Earsonics EM64

B026F83C-AC04-4184-BB38-824884D5338A.jpeg

The EM64 is the new flagship of the Earsonics lineup replacing the long standing EM32. The EM64 is the first to feature their new generation big proprietary drivers and features the new « truewave » system not totally unlike the metal sound tube developed for the Penta.

When switching from the Penta to the EM64, the most important thing you’ll notice right away is how much forward the EM64 is, the Penta has clear vocals that are fairly forward already but the EM64 places you right in front of the singer and the vocals are clearer as well as the general signature which is significantly brighter. The second thing you’ll notice is the snappier attack of notes of the EM64, which give it an edge on PRaT but the Penta is already pretty good only with softer attack you get less of a fast paced feeling. On top of this, the EM64 transients are much faster although the Penta is no slouch either it can’t beat the fastest BA IEM I know and I didn’t expect it would.

In terms of signature, as hinted above the EM64 is presents detail in a more forward manner but I found the Penta to be very close in terms of detail retrieval which is impressive as the EM64 rates fairly high in my book. In terms of sheer resolution, I found the EM64 significantly more resolving but the Penta is not that far behind.

Soundstage wise, the Penta clearly has the edge which is inherently a weak side of the more forward EM64 but despite that edge the EM64 has much better separation. On the flipside the Penta is less analytical. The EM64 is also much more fatiguing with its energetic, vibrant and fast paced presentation while the Penta with its softer attack and warmer tilt and of course its vent ports is much less fatiguing.

Overall I am convinced the Penta will be more consensual over the EM64, which has a forward and clear tuning meant for professional on stage. I was quite impressed that in the A/B with the EM64, the Penta is able to hold its own on detail retrieval, speed and resolution while retaining a non fatiguing presentation. As I wrote in my review, the Penta has found delicate balance all over its tuning. Well done!

I’ll also test the Penta with AMP8 and the 4.4 upgrade cable, I might update the review with comparison of AMP1 mk2, AMP9 and AMP8 with DX220.

I can already tell that AMP8 power is doing great for the Penta...while the Penta is easy to drive loud enough it might need a bit of current to sound its best. Overall AMP8 is providing a tad more body, and my favorite pairing too bad I hadn’t received it when I published the review so I’ll update.

Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #747 of 1,184
Got the Penta from @davidmolliere and I'm in for about two hours already. Initial impressions, these things do kinda grow on you the longer you listen.

I totally get how some people dismiss them immediately because they might come off as unimpressive at first, but the longer I listen I can definitely see the merits. I also totally agree with David's initial comment that the sound signature grows gradually from the very articulate (sub)bass tuning. Generally speaking, these look like a very mature sound and I can't help but to point out how wonderfully detailed the lower registers of the spectrum are, especially on bass heavy tracks. Btw, if you feed them crap – e.g. hazy or compressed productions – they will spit out crap, although they are not ruthlessly unforgiving.
First impressions after 4 hours with the Rai Penta this afternoon... (...)

I noticed bass evolved during burn in already so I’ll make a reserved first impression : the general bass tuning shows a mature tuning, just enough mid bass to provide a fun kick without any bleed into the mids. It’s a bass that serves the global signature and clearly has been designed to support the rest of the tuning. Now mids, I find the mids have a very accurate timbre, instruments and vocals are spot on to my ears (...)

Did a quick switch between available devices, plus a comparison with the FLC8 that serve me as my daily driver, plus some minor tip rolling. The Penta are very efficient and they will sing wonderfully out of anything available handily; but the better the source, the better the result. After some preliminary listening I settled for the Mojo and the foam tips mostly because they provide a solid seal (I'm with David here as well, I like silicon tips better than foam ones).
Spiral Dot++ works well with the RP, imo this tip offers better clarity compared to the regular Spiral Dots but they are expensive. Acoustune AET07 is another good choice for clarity with slightly less bass than the Spiral Dots.
I also have the Spiral Dots ++ and indeed they do plenty for the sound signature: clarity and structure, combined with homogeneity, i.e. a perfect complement to the Penta concept. Unfortunately so far I only achieve perfect seal with the foamies, I seem to have rather peculiar ears... On the same note, I found the Penta a perfect anatomical fit to may ear's concha and they kinda stop any attempt to insert the IEM deeper than what their shell will allow for.

Will look to get my hands on some Questyle products from the local distributor, I've found them to also have a very refined sound signature and I believe they will complement the Penta very fittingly.

fullsizeoutput_4e1d.jpeg

Oct 3, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #749 of 1,184
Late night listening sessions at my office in Athens, Greece. Someone tell me to get the new toys out of my ears so I can go home and get some sleep! (oh, wait, they're so flat and fit so nicely I might get away with sleeping on them?)
Listening to the beautiful voice of the late Jessye Norman on Qobuz, truly mesmerizing, R.I.P....

IMG_9144.JPG

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #750 of 1,184
Tried these vs the Andromedas at Audio46. This is out of my phone with a Hidizs S3 dongle and an HTC dongle. Buying the Pentas for sure for whatever that's worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back