ragtime and jazz solo pianists?
Nov 8, 2002 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
A friend was asking me if I knew of any good ragtime and solo jazz pianists and I said I didn't, but that I'd ask some people who probably did.

If you know of who is good and especially if you know of some specifically good recordings, let me know.

My limited familiarity with jazz doesn't lean toward the soloists, it seems, and I dig jazz piano too, so it's not exactly selfless of me to post on my friend's behalf.

Thanks a lot.

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 14
The absolute king of solo piano is Art Tatum. There's tons of Solo Stuff you can find by him and I haven't found a bad recording yet.

His chops are just unbelievable and this guy can just wail.

Other piano players in the ragtime style that immediately spring to mind include:

Earl "Fatha" Hines
Fats Waller

Um, I know there's more but I'm a little foggy this morning.

BTW, ragtime piano playing is often known as "stride" and is exmplified by the steady boom-bap boom-bap rhythm played on the left hand.

Art Tatum - can't go wrong with him.

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 14
ragtime?
confused.gif

Nov 8, 2002 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 14
Just a few performers off the top of my head... All of these artists have at least SOME solo CD's out, but most of their stuff is small group (trios or quartets). Also, these performers would be considered jazz artists, not ragtime.

Some of my all time favorites in addition to those listed above (in no particular order):

- Bill Evans (my #1 all time favorite musician, bar none)
- Tommy Flanagan
- Billy Taylor
- Oscar Peterson
- Michel Petrucciani
- Marian McPartland
- Kenny Barron
- Keith Jarrett
- McCoy Tyner
- Gene Harris

If you're interested, I can list some individual CD's I'd recommend by these performers (will have to be later tonight, though).

I can't help you much with the ragtime part of your question, though...

Happy Listening!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwei
Thelonious Monk - Monk Alone

Especially love his version of Everything Happens To Me.

/me loads up the song in Winamp.

I guess you mean "Monk Alone in San Francisco." Great record. Monk was influenced more by stride pianists than anything, but his style is so singular and rewarding that it has never really been replicated.

Also, look for some of the Duke Ellington solo piano works. One to look for is called "Piano in the Foreground."

I saw someone else mention Earl "Fatha" Hines and I agree with the recommendation.

Now, for a really "out-there" recommendation, look for some solo Cecil Taylor. No one in jazz has the polarizing effect that he does, but his solo work is amazing. Not for the fainthearted, though.

Nov 10, 2002 at 7:14 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by chadbang
Ragtime? Jelly Roll Morton.

There is but one Master.

Nov 10, 2002 at 1:00 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by kaiwei
Sorry to ask but what are "stride pianists"?

Try here.

Nov 10, 2002 at 1:04 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Tuberoller
There is but one Master.

Yup. And if you're looking for a great set of his music, try here.

Nov 10, 2002 at 11:37 PM Post #12 of 14
Wow. I didn't make the inquiry, but thanks for all the suggestions. I intend on buying a few of these selections, I think I'd enjoy them very much.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2002 at 2:13 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar
Wow. I didn't make the inquiry, but thanks for all the suggestions. I intend on buying a few of these selections, I think I'd enjoy them very much.

smily_headphones1.gif

Highway,

The Morton I mentioned above is on JSP records from England. It was remastered by John R.T. Davies, who is the best at remastering this type of music. His remastering of Louis Armstrong's "Hot Fives and Sevens," also on JSP, blows away the set released on Sony/Columbia last year, and costs half the price. BTW--"Weather Bird" is a stunning duet from the late 1920s (!) by Pops and "Fatha" Hines.

When listening to either set, it's hard to believe that the music contained within was recorded over 70 years ago.

One other pianist to consider is Sonny Clark. He recorded on Blue Note in the late 1950s-early 1960s, mostly as a sideman, but put out some disks under his own name. Try this trio disk.

Nov 11, 2002 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 14
Lots of good ones, mentioned already.

My favorite is Oscar Peterson. He's got lots of CDs out there (he's been recording I think since the 50's), and he's still going strong!

There are a couple of great newer releases that are SACD hybrids available from Telarc:

Very Tall Band (with the great Ray Brown on bass)
Trail of Dreams (I think this is the name)

Oscar REALLY knows how to swing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back