Rage Against the Machine
Jan 27, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #17 of 24

Radio_head said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Rage is a guilty pleasure of mine. I really don't like anything involving rap, and metal is also a genre I shy away from, but Rage is just different for some reason. My favorite album of theirs is Battle of Los Angeles, where I think Morello really got to show off his guitar work (although not as much as his solo work or some Audioslave pieces.) And their performances... well, I don't think I've ever seen anyone rock letterman quite like Ratm playing "guerilla radio." (It's kind of ironic how much they sell out to corporations and fat cats and big wigs considering their music is just yelling about people like that.)

It helps me out of the problem, Thanks for your analysis!

Jan 27, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 24
The self-titled debut is a classic, and stands up well even with silly lyrics.  The rhythm section is tight, and Tom Morello has a unique style.  Sometimes you have to separate a band's music from it's message.  I like Rush despite their infatuation with Ayn Rand and her fascist kitsch.  And I assure you my love of Sabbath, Slayer, Candlemass etc. in no way makes me a satanist. 

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #19 of 24
There's a rumor they could be playing Bonnaroo this year, but you know how those rumors go.  They've always been on my shortlist of must-see live acts.  I understand it's just awesome and very high energy.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #20 of 24

Quote:
The self-titled debut is a classic, and stands up well even with silly lyrics.  The rhythm section is tight, and Tom Morello has a unique style.  Sometimes you have to separate a band's music from it's message.  I like Rush despite their infatuation with Ayn Rand and her fascist kitsch.  And I assure you my love of Sabbath, Slayer, Candlemass etc. in no way makes me a satanist. 

I think Slayer is more atheist than Satanist.

Quote:
I have seen a lot of live shows - a lot - but RATM was and I have a feeling will always be the best show I have been to or will ever go to

This x1000. I've seen the grimiest of hardcore bands, the brutalist of death metal shows, and of course the wizardy of amazing jazz players and other heavily techinical genres, and RATMs live show was the best I've ever seen, with also the scariest most amped up crowd.

Rage is my all time favorite band. For me, Evil Empire is the pinnacle of their sound.

Jan 28, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #21 of 24
i have an interesting observation about RATM, if anyone's interested...

their career roughly splits the loudness war.
the first half being pre-1996, and the second half following 1996.

so...  as a result, you can evaluate their self-titled album, as well as Evil Empire, as an audiophile, and come out of the experience with some good things to say about the recording and mastering quality.
but, starting with Battle of Los Angeles, and especially Renegades, the production is louder, more monolithic, and so it doesn't stand up to some of the systems that we head-fiers have put together...

nonetheless...  i still like those last two records.

funny thing, though.  i couldn't stand Audioslave.
horrible band.  horrible idea.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #22 of 24
I really like RATM but de la Rocha is a little bit paranoid as is witnessed in the song Darkness:

"AIDS is killing the entire African nation
And a vaccine is still supposedly under preparation
But these governments they don't mind the procrastination
They say We'll kill them off, take their land and go there for vacation."

The last line is a classic though.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #23 of 24

Quote:
I really like RATM but de la Rocha is a little bit paranoid as is witnessed in the song Darkness:

"AIDS is killing the entire African nation
And a vaccine is still supposedly under preparation
But these governments they don't mind the procrastination
They say We'll kill them off, take their land and go there for vacation."

The last line is a classic though.

I doubt he actually believes that..most likely he just says that for attention

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #24 of 24
also find this one a little ill-conceived:

"So now I'm rollin' down Rodeo with a shotgun.
These people ain't seen a brown skinned man since their grandparents bought one"

it would take me all day to point out the logical fallacies committed in that couplet. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back