Rafe's Inner Fidelity
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #301 of 323
I admire Tyll’s dedication and perseverance. I put those damn cans on and promptly took off within 10 seconds. My only feeling at the time was these cans must have been designed by someone with deficient hearing.
Yeah, I realized that if one is going to tune the sound output of the headphone, it's not only the know how of tuning that counts, but also ears, although if hearing is terrible, measurements can be used to verify to a known measurement reference. Still, hearing is important. You'd still have to hear the various ways sound is expressed outside the frequency response. And if your ears are not able to pick up on various aspects, one shouldn't be tuning headphone sound.

Sep 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #302 of 323
I have found over the years that most professional and amateur reviewers are full of crap (including all the popular YT reviewers).
Man... you got some trust issues :sweat_smile:

Sep 19, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #303 of 323
Man... you got some trust issues :sweat_smile:
I trust my own ears and usually don't trust reviewers. It took me 10 years of stereophile and meeting Tyll and reading Tyll's reviewers to add those awesome pros to my trusted reviewer list.

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #304 of 323
I admire Tyll’s dedication and perseverance. I put those damn cans on and promptly took off within 10 seconds. My only feeling at the time was these cans must have been designed by someone with deficient hearing.

I listen to them at the Tokyo shows every time I go to remind myself of just how awful they are.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #306 of 323

Maybe he didn't burn them in long enough? :thinking: (not sure he would've survived looking at his expressions)

I bought a video game once as a magazine gave it 100% - they banged on about how good it was and groundbreaking (the cut scenes were good but I prefer good game play). It was really awful - simplistic and repetitive, really disappointing and I'd spent my weeks wages on it. A few months later another Mag agreed it was dire. This was 20 years ago and since then I've probably bought 2 magazines for reviewing purposes.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #309 of 323
Rafe is now editor of Resistor Mag., an on-line audio magazine.
Thanks, now we know not to bother looking at that :D

The name is perfect for him btw

Dec 27, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #311 of 323
Not even out of morbid curiosity? :wink:
:D
No, I'm too busy chasing idiot delivery guys while waiting for more gear to arrive. No time for that :wink:

Dec 27, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #313 of 323
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #314 of 323
You can find some of the content here
https://www.stereophile.com/writer/15081

and

https://www.stereophile.com/category/innerfidelity

And other content at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCs5A6Gg74iPHyTFJh69w-RA

The site was archived and then deleted, archived and then deleted. I can't find my links.

You can go to the internet archive and enter the URL for innerfidelity.
Then you can pick one of the dates that it is archived there and see the archived home page.

You can then choose other pages to view from the Innerfidelity menus.

Right now I am looking at the Wall of Fame.

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #315 of 323
I had used Inner Fidelity's graphs to EQ every headphone I have owned, now I can't find the graphs either. You'd think I would have downloaded them while I still had the chance.

I don't know where they are, but it would be a shame to let them go to waste.

What happened to Tyll's measurements? Last time I googled an Ety measurement, innerfiedlity pdfs didn't show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back