Rafe's Inner Fidelity
Aug 9, 2018 at 10:45 AM Post #136 of 323
A certain someone should do a late review of 'The Next Generation', for those like me that weren't born yet at the time :p Watched only 'Enterprise' and 'Discovery' (and some random episodes of the original). Liked both.

I was technically alive throughout most of TNG's original run, but I was so young that I couldn't have hoped to comprehend any of it when it was on. I know the show was frequently rerun because I remember hearing the opening theme music occasionally on my father's television, but I never actually watched it on TV myself.

It wasn't until about four years ago that I worked through the series on Netflix, alongside the original series. TNG has its ups and downs (like any successful series), but it's generally worth the time investment. None of its worst episodes are IMO as bad as the worst TOS ones. The third season of TOS is pretty dire overall, whereas the final season of TNG, while not quite up to the lofty heights reached near the middle of the run, is nonetheless stronger than the first few seasons, and the final plot arc is satisfying (much better than the infamously bad final episode of TOS).

In headphone terms, TNG is like a Sennheiser HD 6x0—it's an obviously polished and high quality experience in most respects, with a few weaknesses (it takes a few seasons to rev up) and a tendency toward subtlety rather than an in-your-face presentation. Just like with the Sennheiser headphone, some find TNG (and Picard specifically) a little restrained and overly polite.

TOS, on the other hand, is like a typical Grado—brash and unrefined, but full of character. The show generally comes across as energetic and fast paced, especially in comparison to TNG, which is a slower show with less straightforward plots that take some time to unfold. TOS tends to be one of those things where, if you like it, you really, really like it. Kirk in particular has legions of fans, and it's not hard to see why. I certainly like him.

Personally, though, I prefer Picard for the same reason I like my HD 600: he's refined and even-keeled, and while playing the character, Stewart doesn't manage to monopolize attention the way Shatner does. With TNG, the focus is as much on the plot as it is the characters. With TOS, the camera is pretty much glued to Shatner (apart from the rare instances where Scotty gets to be in charge of the bridge—now those are fun!).

That all said, keeping in mind I've only watched through the show once, I feel like the writing for Picard's character in the first season might make him come across as a little too reserved (maybe HD 650-like? I've never tried one), with Jon Frakes' Commander Riker ("Number One") sometimes appearing as the more interesting and authoritative character. Midway through season two, the writers evidently discover that their HD 600 has a bad impedance mismatch with its amp and is sounding a bit slow and bloated from all the extra midbass, and they gradually start swapping over to an amp that yields a better damping factor, resulting in a Picard who is still reserved but who is unambiguously the lead.

Just for fun:

Among the major characters of the Trek series' I've seen (just TOS and TNG so far; I keep meaning to get around to the others), I feel like Tyll is the equivalent of Data: inquisitive, polite and devoted to performing his work to the highest standard he can (though, as an android, I imagine Data would have made fewer typos
image.png
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). I'll leave it as a fun discussion exercise for the thread to choose a Trek counterpart for the new leadership at IF.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #138 of 323
Thought it might be worthwhile to start a thread on the changes in Inner Fidelity with Rafe behind the wheel. Because my experiences commenting on Rafe's most recent post at Inner Fidelity have been far from pleasant. And my comments and the comments of others have now been removed.

I haven't signed up over there although I read the site and followed Tyll's adventures with great interest.

I feel Rafe is really a disappointment on all levels, but what tops it off is his belligerence (did I spell that correctly?) I don't get the attitude, it's like he's always in combat mode and whatever anybody says pisses him off whether they agree with him or not.

It's hard to believe the management has kept him around as long as they have. Aside from the fact he seems to know relatively nothing, he's just so obnoxious. And he is killing the site... maybe some of the members should chip in for a semester at Dale Carnegie...

Apr 6, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #139 of 323
Two proper, nicely written headphone reviews published in as many weeks. Thank you Rafe and well done! Maybe I'll get back to weekly check-ins now.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #141 of 323
... Rafe acts like an ass**** towards his readers and knows nothing about headphones.
Could you provide concrete examples/proof of these claims? I am not disputing you as I have no knowledge or position one way or the other, but if you are going to make a very public claim against somebody, which is absolutely your right no question, however, it is only fair to the person to provide some evidence and context. Otherwise it amounts to a conviction without a trial and evidence as people may come along read your comment and assume they are accurate and fair, which they just might be, again I have no position for or against what you are saying. I just think that if it was me being maligned I would appreciate at least the evidence being presented along with the accusations.

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #142 of 323
Could you provide concrete examples/proof of these claims? I am not disputing you as I have no knowledge or position one way or the other, but if you are going to make a very public claim against somebody, which is absolutely your right no question, however, it is only fair to the person to provide some evidence and context. Otherwise it amounts to a conviction without a trial and evidence as people may come along read your comment and assume they are accurate and fair, which they just might be, again I have no position for or against what you are saying. I just think that if it was me being maligned I would appreciate at least the evidence being presented along with the accusations.

There are a number in this thread. What is being referred to is evident on some of the IF threads written by Rafe. Unless they have been scrubbed...

Apr 6, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #143 of 323
There are a number in this thread. What is being referred to is evident on some of the IF threads written by Rafe. Unless they have been scrubbed...
Ah, so I can read back here then and see what all the fuss is about. Saying that, again, if a claim that goes to a persons character is made, best to post at least some evidence at the time as many people do not read back into a thread as I didn't on this occasion. Cheers.

Apr 6, 2019 at 6:18 PM Post #144 of 323
This thread should be locked imo, for real...

or at least have its title changed to "Rafe's Inner Fatuity", so people can get a better first impression of what is being discussed in here.

Apr 6, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #145 of 323
This thread should be locked imo, for real...

or at least have its title changed to "Rafe's Inner Fatuity", so people can get a better first impression of what is being discussed in here.
Agreed

Apr 7, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #146 of 323
Hmm.. HD820 review with no comparisons with competing headphones and totally ignores everyone's issues with the sound. The site is dead.

Apr 15, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #147 of 323
Hmm.. HD820 review with no comparisons with competing headphones and totally ignores everyone's issues with the sound. The site is dead.
Also deleted comments that were there.

Apr 16, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #149 of 323
LOL, love that picture. A picture says a thousand words they say and I suspect I can fill in some of those blanks. Which model is that Tyll was testing?

Apr 16, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #150 of 323
It was the Edition 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back