Rafe's Inner Fidelity
Jul 12, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #106 of 323
Maybe if we are lucky, IF will eventually have product subjective reviews coupled with the appendices of measurements taken by someone else like Stereophile often does. But I would be surprised if we ever see again what Argyris described as "the way [IF] explored how objective measurements map onto subjective impressions" through Tyll's reviews. Seems pretty clear that the new chief of IF doesn't have the mindset to do that, and he seems to strongly rebel against suggestions in the comments that IF should do that.
True, and ultimately it is their ship to steer so we'll just have to see how it all shakes out. I'm pretty content here at head-fi most of the time anyway so IF was a secondary place, but I did enjoy it for sure.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #108 of 323
Stereophile has always been an open forum to even the most extreme people and their opinions. Even though I sold my reference system to convert to headphones I still read the magazine cover to cover every month. Even the reviews can be entertaining and with bench testing quite revealing to the opposite the manufacturer was anticipating. In the Forum there is very little not printed because someone is in complete disagreement. What is happening at InnerFidelity is dissonant from Stereophile and to me what they stand for. Why they didn't have someone temporarily take over from staff (many who listen and enjoy headphones) until a suitable replacement was found has proved disastrous and alienating.

Jul 12, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #109 of 323
Exactly, however, maybe they got what suits them most. Too bad Tyll didn't have an apprentice to continue his work. All those connections and fellow contributors would have made it easy to start a new site. For some reason the guys that are in the best position to carry the flame forward are too far up their own to be smart about it.

Jul 12, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #110 of 323
Count me in as someone that's also disappointed with Rafe and the new IF, and I don't mean just his approach to content & reviews. Not only was Tyll knowledgeable but he always came across as a really charismatic and friendly guy in his videos, totally the opposite of Rafe's rude and condescending attitude so far. Not so sure I'd ever want to see Rafe on video!

But if you guys haven't checked out the new Headphone.com it's actually pretty great! They have some interesting content, their forums are open & friendly (and state of the art too), and the new owners definitely "get" headphones. Of course they're primarily a reseller, but I really like the new Headphone.com, more people here should check it out.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #111 of 323
I recently made a comment on the IF Facebook page and Rafe dressed me down immediately. I was actually quite surprised of his abrasiveness in his response. Thin skin for sure.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #113 of 323
I had responded "Ha Indeed" to someone else commenting on the Audio Note speakers in the picture of his daughter listening to headphones sitting in an Earmes chair. It wasn't meant more than anything but a fun response. Here's the reply
"Ha!" Indeed." What exactly do you mean? Are you familiar with either the brand new 611 amp or the AN-E speaker, or what either is capable of? I'd like to hear more if you are. I am. I've been to PQ's home in the UK because he's a mate of mine and discussed loudspeaker designs for hours with him, and also watched almost every component AN makes being built at their factories in the UK and Austria, I've spoken at length with their key engineering team as well... I really have no clue what weight you think your comment has.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #114 of 323
... I really have no clue what weight you think your comment has.

This pretty much sums up all of his insecurities.
Projecting to the max.

Jul 25, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #115 of 323
Yes I was really surprised by the response. It was a nothing comment from me with zero intent. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but what the heck?

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:36 AM Post #118 of 323
Looking at the Facebook post in question, to be fair people were being kind of dickish about what they thought was a vanity shot of his daughter. I guess him being a bit dickish in reply is to be expected. Still, his responses are particularly venomous, and some of them seem to be more about defending himself than his daughter. As tough as it might be sometimes, running anything involves rising above your detractors, not sinking down to their level and competing with them in outright dickishness.

The question being left out of all of this is, of course, why is he dragging his daughter into this in the first place? And for that matter, why is he posting vanity shots of his gear at all? What kind of reaction did he think he was going to get from the IF audience? Did he even bother to see what kind of community existed around IF before taking over?

The answer to the last question is almost certainly "no", and I guess it's up the the reader to work out answers for the others.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #119 of 323
The whole picture is set up to showcase a system and an Eames Chair. I read no comment about his daughter other than "hey, there is a woman listening here" which is quite rare with this sort of audio rig. I re-read the posts and none of them are "dickish"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back