Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 25, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #1,441 of 6,675
IMG_20180626_090701.jpg

A mini shootout - unfortunately only one will qualify as my desktop and on-the-go dac/amp.

xDSD Pro: Really really good sound quality
xDSD Con: Big footprint

Earstudio Pro: Really good sound quality as well and three times smaller than the xDSD. Sick UI on Android as well.
Earstudio: None, really. No micro SD input?

The Hiby just arrived. Just upgraded to firmware 1.09. Will be testing how it performs at the desk and on the go. Looks to be a great in between the xDSD and Earstudio especially since it doubles up as a standalone player too. Might stand a higher chance once firmware upgrade allows for LDAC and AptX (HD) in receiver mode.

Jun 27, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #1,442 of 6,675
Does anybody here have a Shanling M3S? Both use AK chips and wondering how they compare.

Jun 27, 2018 at 4:58 AM Post #1,443 of 6,675
Just recently upgraded my phone from an LG V20 to a Huawei P20 Pro. As the P20 Pro doesn't have a headphone jack I bought this.

Pros:

- Not being tethered to the phone (actually quite convenient)
- I listen mostly via Spotify and I really can't tell much of a difference between this and the V20 (especially on public transport)
- Decent battery life
- Really easy to use and intuitive UI

Cons:

- Ridiculously complicated to upgrade (at least for a numpty like me) on a Mac. Why can't we update the receiver via the app?
- Doesn't feel as solidly built as a Fiio equivalent product

Jun 28, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #1,445 of 6,675
Good day! I recently got this about a week ago and I can say it is good! But theres one thing that is bugging me.

How do you implement the aptx hd on the es100 side? Or am I missing something withon the source?

Am using the Xperia X Performance and im selecting "aptx hd" on the dev option but as soon as I connect it to es100, it turns back to plain aptx.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,446 of 6,675
Good day! I recently got this about a week ago and I can say it is good! But theres one thing that is bugging me.

How do you implement the aptx hd on the es100 side? Or am I missing something withon the source?

Am using the Xperia X Performance and im selecting "aptx hd" on the dev option but as soon as I connect it to es100, it turns back to plain aptx.

On my Lg V20, I have the option to select high quality or normal bluetoooth connection form the the main bluetooth connection options for that connection... not in the developer options, this determines AptX HD or not.

It does default to high quality and informs me that AptX HD is being used.

Of course you can verify the current connection type from the app and you can limit the codecs you want made available as well.

I don't know how you need to do all this with the Xperia X.

Try forcing the available codecs from within the app and test.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #1,447 of 6,675
On my Lg V20, I have the option to select high quality or normal bluetoooth connection form the the main bluetooth connection options for that connection... not in the developer options, this determines AptX HD or not.

It does default to high quality and informs me that AptX HD is being used.

Of course you can verify the current connection type from the app and you can limit the codecs you want made available as well.

I don't know how you need to do all this with the Xperia X.

Try forcing the available codecs from within the app and test.

Well, I used the some wireless gears with my source in the past and it automatically connected as HD without configuring any options in the Dev. What am I missing?

Yes I already unticked the APTX and AAC codec on the app, but once I connected it to my source, it connected as SBC instead of HD.

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:22 AM Post #1,448 of 6,675
Well, I used the some wireless gears with my source in the past and it automatically connected as HD without configuring any options in the Dev. What am I missing?

Yes I already unticked the APTX and AAC codec on the app, but once I connected it to my source, it connected as SBC instead of HD.

Have you tried holding down that particular Bluetooth connection from the list of current Bluetooth devices, to see if you can select quality options?

It does sound odd (pun intended)

Jun 28, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #1,449 of 6,675
Have you tried holding down that particular Bluetooth connection from the list of current Bluetooth devices, to see if you can select quality options?

It does sound odd (pun intended)

No options appearing regarding quality options. Tried forgetting the es100 network and restarted the phone, and reinstalling the app. No change.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #1,450 of 6,675

No options appearing regarding quality options. Tried forgetting the es100 network and restarted the phone, and reinstalling the app. No change.

Hopefully @wslee can help sort things out for you.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #1,451 of 6,675

Let us check the above shortly.

But, basically, the receiver sends the supported codec list to the transmitter, in the beginning, then the transmitter selects one of them.
The selection of the active codec always depends on the source device, smartphone.

It seems that there's no Xperia X Performance in the aptX HD product list, by the way.

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483

Have you tried any other aptX HD receiver with X performance?

Thanks!
WS

Jun 28, 2018 at 7:55 PM Post #1,452 of 6,675
Let us check the above shortly.

But, basically, the receiver sends the supported codec list to the transmitter, in the beginning, then the transmitter selects one of them.
The selection of the active codec always depends on the source device, smartphone.

It seems that there's no Xperia X Performance in the aptX HD product list, by the way.

https://www.aptx.com/products?field_aptx_type_tid=483

Have you tried any other aptX HD receiver with X performance?

Thanks!
WS
According to THIS website, the Xperia X Performance does have APTX-HD.. I don't have the phone, so can't confirm. https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/d/sony-xperia-x-performance

A lot of phones with Qualcomm are getting LDAC and APTX-HD when they get Android 8.1 As both are built into Android 8.1 However, some Phone manufacturers may not give that feature to their phones....

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #1,453 of 6,675
According to THIS website, the Xperia X Performance does have APTX-HD.. I don't have the phone, so can't confirm. https://www.bluetoothcheck.com/d/sony-xperia-x-performance

A lot of phones with Qualcomm are getting LDAC and APTX-HD when they get Android 8.1 As both are built into Android 8.1 However, some Phone manufacturers may not give that feature to their phones....

Regarding aptX, I think aptX.com is a more reliable and genuine source.
aptX.com, managed by Qualcomm, has the official aptX, aptX HD product list.
They have the internal conformance testing procedure and Qualcomm engineer run the test on a manufacturer request.
After having their own internal test and no issue, they have the product on the list.

Sony aptX classic phone
https://www.aptx.com/products?field...t_category_tid=126&field_product_brand_tid=25

Sony aptX HD phone
https://www.aptx.com/products?field...t_category_tid=126&field_product_brand_tid=25

Anyway, it's quite strange, the other Xperia's are all on the list, whatever it's aptX or aptX HD, but can't find X Performance.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #1,454 of 6,675
Regarding aptX, I think aptX.com is a more reliable and genuine source.
aptX.com, managed by Qualcomm, has the official aptX, aptX HD product list.
They have the internal conformance testing procedure and Qualcomm engineer run the test on a manufacturer request.
After having their own internal test and no issue, they have the product on the list.

Sony aptX classic phone

Sony aptX HD phone

Anyway, it's quite strange, the other Xperia's are all on the list, whatever it's aptX or aptX HD, but can't find X Performance.

Thanks!
You may be right... However the APTX website does not show the Samsung S8 having APTX-HD, when it does have it.

I am unfamiliar with all the Sony phones. Just did a web search...

Anyway, IF a phone or other device has APTX-HD, the Earstudio will be able to connect with APTX-HD from my experience... And sounds great.

Jun 28, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #1,455 of 6,675
You may be right... However the APTX website does not show the Samsung S8 having APTX-HD, when it does have it.

I am unfamiliar with all the Sony phones. Just did a web search...

Anyway, IF a phone or other device has APTX-HD, the Earstudio will be able to connect with APTX-HD from my experience... And sounds great.
My S8 is still on 8.0. No HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back