Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 9, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #796 of 6,675
I updated my earlier post with the specs and my brief testing instead of making a new comment...which I'm doing here anyways lol
Thanks for testing with your gear. And you made me discover there is now a 'quiet' option in 'Normalize volume'. Has been switched off for years as I didn't like it then. I'll test this option again now because it's convenient to have more or less the same volume when switching genres. Doesn't change the hissing though. :wink:

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #797 of 6,675
I do like Fiio's BTR1 a lot (it's great with my Pinnacle P1) but it has two problems.

1. Volume differences between steps are too big. Does ES100 have better volume control?

2. Higher sensitive iems do tend to hiss and sometimes quieter notes can no longer be heard. If somebody could test the Brainwavz B400 with the ES100 and see whether the issue is also present with this amp. Listen for instance to the first notes of track 5 of this album:

Thanks in advance!

I've got the B400 and have used it a lot with the ES100 without noticing any hiss, that being said I haven't really listened for it and I'm not very sensitive to it but I'll do a proper listening session tomorrow and let you know what I find.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #798 of 6,675
Maybe it's not hiss I'm experiencing but rather static-like sound artefacts and they're rather caused by the sensitivity of the iem as I further tested with other iems.

Brainwavz B400 impedance: 30ohm sensitivity 115db : The first notes of the Spotify track 5 are drowned in 'hiss' and sound artefacts.
Hifiman RE-400: impedance 32ohm sensitivity 102db: doable, just some hiss and no sound artefacts.
Nuforce Primo 8 impedance 33ohm sensitivity 113db: same result as Brainwavz B400

If someone has an iem with the same combination of impedance and sensitivity to test on the ES100, that would be nice...

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #799 of 6,675
How do you manage to update ES100? I could not somehow do this. Is there any video on this?

another issue is sound boom. while forwarding or backwarding a track on Tidal app (USB-DAC), i experienced volume is rising up for a short time and then come back at normal level.

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #800 of 6,675
How do you manage to update ES100? I could not somehow do this. Is there any video on this?

another issue is sound boom. while forwarding or backwarding a track on Tidal app (USB-DAC), i experienced volume is rising up for a short time and then come back at normal level.

It's a Tidal issue. It'll do it with any BT device you use as well. This option will fix it but you'll be touching the volume more often.

Screenshot_20180409-171606.jpg

Apr 9, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #801 of 6,675

I haven't had that issue with the "sound boom."

Also, I had trouble updating previously. I made sure to use the provided cable, then downloaded the FW update, open the zipped folder and copy all of the files into a second folder on my desktop, then click the exec file. Just hold the power button while you plug it into the computer(PC only) then when the prompt from the exec file opens you just hit any key and it should identify the device.

Apr 9, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #805 of 6,675
Apr 9, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #806 of 6,675
I do like Fiio's BTR1 a lot (it's great with my Pinnacle P1) but it has two problems.

1. Volume differences between steps are too big. Does ES100 have better volume control?

2. Higher sensitive iems do tend to hiss and sometimes quieter notes can no longer be heard. If somebody could test the Brainwavz B400 with the ES100 and see whether the issue is also present with this amp. Listen for instance to the first notes of track 5 of this album:

Thanks in advance!

1.The ES100 have plenty of steps in it's volume making it smooth and comparable to DAPs, unlike those cheaper bluetooths that jumps too far (like android volume steps) on each button press.

2. The lowest impedance iem that i used to have is the TFZ King, about 12 ohm. Didn't experience hiss or noise floor on them.

Apr 9, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #807 of 6,675
Maybe it's not hiss I'm experiencing but rather static-like sound artefacts and they're rather caused by the sensitivity of the iem as I further tested with other iems.

Brainwavz B400 impedance: 30ohm sensitivity 115db : The first notes of the Spotify track 5 are drowned in 'hiss' and sound artefacts.
Hifiman RE-400: impedance 32ohm sensitivity 102db: doable, just some hiss and no sound artefacts.
Nuforce Primo 8 impedance 33ohm sensitivity 113db: same result as Brainwavz B400

If someone has an iem with the same combination of impedance and sensitivity to test on the ES100, that would be nice...

@yoowan:

May I ask at which volume levels do you listen with those IEM?
If your headphone amplifier doesn't have an adjustable gain option like PGA(Programmable Gain Amp) or low power mode,
you will need to get the volume lower down in the digital domain,
which results in more loss in LSB with the 115dB IEM than the 102dB IEM and may cause what you called sound artifacts.

High power headphone amplifier without any analog gain control option would not fit high sensitivity IEM, for the above reason.

Thanks and Regards,
WS

Apr 9, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #808 of 6,675

Thanks in advance!

I listened to the start a few times and there's no background noise with zero hiss from my 16 Ohm 108dB ibasso IT01s and I even maxed out the 8k and 16k sliders on the EQ and still zero hiss. Thanks for the Rachmaninov link I just downloaded it to my G6 to check out tomorrow, track 5 lulls you in softly and drops really dynamic and powerful transitions on you.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #809 of 6,675
@yoowan:

May I ask at which volume levels do you listen with those IEM?
If your headphone amplifier doesn't have an adjustable gain option like PGA(Programmable Gain Amp) or low power mode,
you will need to get the volume lower down in the digital domain,
which results in more loss in LSB with the 115dB IEM than the 102dB IEM and may cause what you called sound artifacts.

High power headphone amplifier without any analog gain control option would not fit high sensitivity IEM, for the above reason.

Thanks and Regards,
WS
Volume on the phone is at max, volume on the amp (and that's Fiio's BTR1, will buy ES100 as soon as it's available in Europe) is on a moderate volume depending the iem. I only use Pinnacle P1 with the BTR1. P1 is a notoriously difficult iem to drive (impedance 50ohm sensitivity 96dB) but the BTR1 does an outstanding job for such a cheap and small device. There is indeed no gain switch on the BTR1. As you say lowering the volume on the phone might help. I will test that later.

Thanks to everybody for chiming in. Now I'm learning to better understand how impedance and sensitivity affects an amp's sound production.

Apr 10, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #810 of 6,675
Fwiw I'm not able to detect any background hiss whatsoever with the B400 (not on the track that was listed on the previous page either).

The ES100 and the B400 is a great combination imo but then again the ES100 seems to pair well with pretty much everything I've tried it with :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back