Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 4, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #721 of 6,675
Android supports AptX/AptX HD but it is still up to the phone manufacturer if they want to pay the license to have it enabled.

On the Galaxy S8, for example, AptX HD is not enabled on Oreo. For this reason I'm still using my LG G5 (with AptX HD) with my EarStudio, and would really like an EarStudio update that enables LDAC so I can use it with my S8.

Yes this is true, however essential was kind enough to provide support for all the codecs in the 8.1 update.

Prior to that I used magisk systemless root to install bt codecs

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #722 of 6,675
Android supports AptX/AptX HD but it is still up to the phone manufacturer if they want to pay the license to have it enabled.

On the Galaxy S8, for example, AptX HD is not enabled on Oreo. For this reason I'm still using my LG G5 (with AptX HD) with my EarStudio, and would really like an EarStudio update that enables LDAC so I can use it with my S8.

Yes this is true, however essential was kind enough to provide support for all the codecs in the 8.1 update.

Prior to that I used magisk systemless root to install bt codecs

I'm using an S7 Edge Exynos in Canada on android 7, and am actually happy with the APTX codec. But I'm still interested in the various options once it gets upgraded to android 8. I think these will be my APTX alternative options:

1) AAC
2) APTXHD if I use magisk systemless root (never rooted a phone before)
3) LDAC if @wslee and the ES100 magically provides that as a (paid?) option

Hopefully I have that right!

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #723 of 6,675
I'm using an S7 Edge Exynos in Canada on android 7, and am actually happy with the APTX codec. But I'm still interested in the various options once it gets upgraded to android 8. I think these will be my APTX alternative options:

1) AAC
2) APTXHD if I use magisk systemless root (never rooted a phone before)
3) LDAC if @wslee and the ES100 magically provides that as a (paid?) option

Hopefully I have that right!

Unfortunately I'm on Snapdragon S8, which has a locked bootloader and can't easily be rooted. There is an engineering boot image that you can load but it has a number of issues including being capped at 80% battery capacity. That's a hit I'm not willing to take to get AptX HD :frowning2:

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #724 of 6,675
Unfortunately I'm on Snapdragon S8, which has a locked bootloader and can't easily be rooted. There is an engineering boot image that you can load but it has a number of issues including being capped at 80% battery capacity. That's a hit I'm not willing to take to get AptX HD :frowning2:

If you can hear a difference between aptx and AAC you've got better ears than me. apt-x hd is generally regarded as a con.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #725 of 6,675
If you can hear a difference between aptx and AAC you've got better ears than me. apt-x hd is generally regarded as a con.

I'm pretty sure that my ears won't be able to hear a difference. But my brain will probably convince my heart and soul that I do! :wink:

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #726 of 6,675
I'm pretty sure that my ears won't be able to hear a difference. But my brain will probably convince my heart and soul that I do! :wink:
Most people here will instantly hear that aptx is more bright. Because it makes a lot of high frequency noise there and moves energy up. It's easy to test in Android developer tools by changing codec. Ask somebody to change for you and write your answers. It's easy

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #727 of 6,675
Most people here will instantly hear that aptx is more bright. Because it makes a lot of high frequency noise there and moves energy up. It's easy to test in Android developer tools by changing codec. Ask somebody to change for you and write your answers. It's easy

I agree with this. My main beefs right now with using EarStudio with my S8 is:

1) No AptX-HD.. I get 24bit/44.1kHz audio support on my LG G5 (can't get it to do 48kHz for some reason... but could be worse).
2) Selects AptX by default... I need to open developer options to switch to AAC each time I connect the EarStudio
3) AptX/AAC are both limited to 16/bit44.1kHz. I know AAC supports higher, but the S8 won't let me use those.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #728 of 6,675

1) No AptX-HD.. I get 24bit/44.1kHz audio support on my LG G5 (can't get it to do 48kHz for some reason... but could be worse).
2) Selects AptX by default... I need to open developer options to switch to AAC each time I connect the EarStudio
3) AptX/AAC are both limited to 16/bit44.1kHz. I know AAC supports higher, but the S8 won't let me use those.
Upgrade to latest ES100 firmware. Now you can fix AAC and don't have to go there.

Apr 4, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #729 of 6,675

the latest FW Update allows you to disable APTX option in the app (im using it with my S8+ on ACC)

Apr 4, 2018 at 2:06 PM Post #731 of 6,675
Holy macaroni what a great combination:

20180404_200321.jpg

Apr 4, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #732 of 6,675
Apr 4, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #733 of 6,675

Huh! I found the voodoo steps required to turn on the Android developer tools, but am now looking for how to use it to change codecs. I'll try again in the morning.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #734 of 6,675
Huh! I found the voodoo steps required to turn on the Android developer tools, but am now looking for how to use it to change codecs. I'll try again in the morning.
The option to change the Bluetooth codec is in Android 8 (Oreo). Your equipment list has Samsung S7 Edge, and Android 8 hasn't been released for it yet. Therefore you won't see an option to change the Bluetooth codec at this time. Android 8 is expected to be released for the S7 Edge, but probably not for a few more months. The S8 models are only just now receiving updates: https://www.sammobile.com/samsung-galaxy-android-8-o-update

Users who are viewing this thread

Back