Radsone EarStudio ES100
Mar 9, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #406 of 6,675
Lol I can't seem to charge my es100 by portable charger

Mar 9, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #407 of 6,675
Just wanted to share that I finally received these 2-Pin 50cm cables https://www.aliexpress.com/item/cus...32852715561.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.TMCYTU

They work with both my iSine and Massdrop Plus IEMs and will probably work just fine with KZ and Noble Audio IEMs. I also ordered the DIY version with no connectors and will solder on my own. I already made a short cable but these look better than my DIY version haha. I will probably chop off the 3.5mm SE connector and put on a 2.5mm balanced for use with the ES100.

These are a good length for attaching to the ES100 (or BTR1 or similar device) to the upper front of your shirt.

I ordered these
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...32842791429.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.0JQ2nE

and these
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Are...32842493748.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.sBZ0p0

They arrived yesterday quality seems really good :wink: (connector that is not the cable that hasnt arrived yet)

Mar 9, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #408 of 6,675
I ordered these
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/KZ-...32842791429.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.0JQ2nE

and these
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Are...32842493748.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.sBZ0p0

They arrived yesterday quality seems really good :wink: (connector that is not the cable that hasnt arrived yet)

I took a KZ cable and modded it to have 2.5mm balanced too. It worked pretty well. I also have that white braided one, but I was struggling to figure out which wire was witch since it ended in 8 wires and not 4 and I didn’t take apart the connector to try to label them correctly. I cut it off instead and that was a mistake haha. I was getting too frustrated doing guess and check on which wire went where.

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #409 of 6,675
  • The buttons are tactile but not tactile enough. It adds to the profile, but it would be nice if the volume rockers had some angle to press down on to, or protrude them out a little more. Its a bit easy to press the wrong buttons, especially since its very cramped between the buttons and the headphone jack. Headphone jack on the side opposite the USB would have probably helped in this case. I find that just the way I hold and press the volume or track skip buttions, I accidentally press the buttons on the opposite side (i.e. I go to press Volume Up and I press Skip Track as well since I'm gripping the other side to press volume

I agree. Also, one button I am often looking for is the power/play/pause button, and it takes some concentration. It would be nice if it was a bit more prominent, or better yet, on the face of the device (like with the BTR1 shown in your picture).

That's pretty much the only niggle I have with the ES100 so far though - everything else is brilliant :)

Thanks for the posting.

The answer above seems to be from the other unknown and we've made an official answer for that:

According to the specification of the battery in ES100,
the cycle life guarantees 300 cycles, keeping more than 80% at standard charge/discharge.
If you have it charged/discharged every other day, it seems the only 80% of the battery capacity will be available after two years.
But it doesn't mean it won't work at all after two years.
Also when connected to USB charger or PC, ES100 works with the power sourced from USB VBUS, not by the battery.

Thanks for pointing it out.
Regards,
WS

Thanks for that information. Is the "cycle life guarantees 300 cycles" statistic basically the same as with other similar batteries/devices?

Do you think that the battery could be replaced? In a few years I'll probably want to buy the latest/greatest Earstudio anyway, but it would be nice to also have the option of continuing to use the ES100 as a backup.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #410 of 6,675
Here's a photo of the AliExpress (Chitty's Store) short IEM cables I ordered. The one connected to the Massdrop IEMs are the already made 2-pin product, however I cut off the SE connector and soldered on a 2.5mm TRRS connector to it. The one connected to the iSine 10 is the DIY one they sell that does not have headphone connectors attached. I put on 2-pin connectors and cut off the 3.5mm SE and soldered on a 2.5mm TRRS connector and shrinkwrapped it since it felt a little loose. Both are the perfect size for wearing the BT adapter clipped to your shirt or jacket.

IMG_20180309_092222.jpg

Mar 9, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #411 of 6,675
Oops Double Post

Mar 9, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #412 of 6,675
Thanks for that information. Is the "cycle life guarantees 300 cycles" statistic basically the same as with other similar batteries/devices?

Do you think that the battery could be replaced? In a few years I'll probably want to buy the latest/greatest Earstudio anyway, but it would be nice to also have the option of continuing to use the ES100 as a backup.

Yeah that info seems to be consistent with other lithium polymer batteries. Also, someone in this thread I believe took theirs apart and mentioned that while not easily replaceable, the battery could be changed out with some soldering.

Mar 10, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #413 of 6,675
So I did much more tests and found the issue.

Slow Digital filter makes a lot of audible Harmonics.
It also cuts frequencies above 8kHz too fast and make -3dB vs normal range.
Don't use Slow Roll Off - bugs are there.

But in the software weird bug - whatever you choose for digital filter, next time it shows same short-slow roll off...

Short Sharp is 3 times lower THD than Sharp, so IMHO that's the only option that should be used.

Load generates 2% volume drop in mid-range, 3 times THD increase and 100 times stereo cross-talk increase.

DCT makes something weird with frequency response within 2% and I don't understand this idea.

Pictures tomorrow.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #414 of 6,675
So I did much more tests and found the issue.

Slow Digital filter makes a lot of audible Harmonics.
It also cuts frequencies above 8kHz too fast and make -3dB vs normal range.
Don't use Slow Roll Off - bugs are there.

Short Sharp is 10dB lower THD than Sharp, so IMHO that's the only option that should be used.

Load makes -0.2dB drop of FR in mid-range, 10 times THD increase and pushes stereo cross-talk to -45 vs -85dB.

DCT makes a weird +0.2FR deviation.

Pictures tomorrow.
Thank you for your thorough investigation. I suspected it had to do with the filter setting and I was about to take some measurements myself, but you beat me to it.

I've had mine on the symmetric sharp roll-off filter to preserve linear phase.

In my opinion, offering the slow roll-off filters is a mistake as they measurably degrade the signal. The aliasing they introduce isn't a bug -- it's just basic DSP theory. Any signal above Nyquist will get reflected back into the audible range.

I believe you didn't see problems with the AAC due to some combination of the following:
  • BT AAC operates at 44.1 KHz, which means no resampling, and as a result, no aliasing.
  • The AAC codec itself has a sharp roll-off filter at around 18 KHz, which means the signal is already narrow-band, so even if the ES performs some kind of resampling, there isn't any content above Nyquist frequency, so no aliasing.

Mar 10, 2018 at 6:46 PM Post #415 of 6,675
@SubMash
Ahh. - You didn't know that slow filters (and most the slow roll off) lead to aliasing..

I even asked about your settings for DCT (i think (can not say for sure as it's non public patented knowledge) it also can produce harmonics but also can remove them) and DAC (known to produce harmonics depending on settings)
But you replied that they you tried all and that it's independent of the settings there...

I thought you knew about this as you occurred to me with your harsh and demanding tone and overall behavior that you know about the basics (of DSP) and really found a bug.

//edit: Well then - here a bit to read:
http://archimago.blogspot.de/2013/06/measurements-digital-filters-and.html
maybe this http://www.mlssa.com/pdf/Upsampling-theory-rev-2.pdf
and https://www.ayre.com/pdf/Ayre_MP_White_Paper.pdf and then https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,103308.0.html
Maybe here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/slow-vs-fast-roll-off-and-minimum-vs-linear-phase.836621/
Also in my language (german) are many very good (or even better) writeups like https://www.likehifi.de/doityourself/hintergrund/dr-sound-filter-und-ihre-bedeutung/

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #416 of 6,675
I have used this as a Bluetooth receiver for a couple days now. I cannot detect any audible difference between wired and this receiver. There may be measurable differences, but nothing I can actually hear. I am very happy with this powering my dt770 80 ohm.

I felt the need to also state the fact that I also cannot detect the difference between the 5 dollar cable I am currently using to link both divices, and and other cable I’ve ever tried.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #417 of 6,675
Thank you for your thorough investigation. I suspected it had to do with the filter setting and I was about to take some measurements myself, but you beat me to it.

I've had mine on the symmetric sharp roll-off filter to preserve linear phase.

In my opinion, offering the slow roll-off filters is a mistake as they measurably degrade the signal. The aliasing they introduce isn't a bug -- it's just basic DSP theory. Any signal above Nyquist will get reflected back into the audible range.

I believe you didn't see problems with the AAC due to some combination of the following:
  • BT AAC operates at 44.1 KHz, which means no resampling, and as a result, no aliasing.
  • The AAC codec itself has a sharp roll-off filter at around 18 KHz, which means the signal is already narrow-band, so even if the ES performs some kind of resampling, there isn't any content above Nyquist frequency, so no aliasing.
Unfortunately, my knowledge of DSP theory is not enough to make this call. Somehow I didn't noticed change with filter settings and that's why I just contacted manufacturer who asked me to send screenshots of all my settings and then didn't tell me filter is the source of problem. At the same time I didn't notice because aptx noise easily gets saturated and makes random pops and clicks - this thing is not cured by filter setting. I have a feeling that I even have to decrease digital volume despite recommendations of keeping it maximum.

I'm quite sure in my tests I didn't had any 44.1-48 conversions - aptx was straightforward 44.1. But in yesterday tests I've started using USB CSR8510 cheap transmitter and I need to check if that makes a difference somehow.

I think that it was a combination of things - this filter makes weird aliasing with APTX/SBC bit coding and at some volume levels just overloads easily. I still can't understand how clipping can be so random and without any pattern on a single tone.

Another thing is that I dealt before with some roll off filters, but I guess they had antialiasing built-in and here we just got very simple one.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #418 of 6,675
the different digital filter setting is really noticeable to my ears, especially noticable on the attack of the song kinda like compression effect, I only like the short delay sharp roll-off as it's the most natural sounding to me (less pumping and not flatten the attack too much

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:05 AM Post #419 of 6,675
I agree. Also, one button I am often looking for is the power/play/pause button, and it takes some concentration. It would be nice if it was a bit more prominent, or better yet, on the face of the device (like with the BTR1 shown in your picture).

That's pretty much the only niggle I have with the ES100 so far though - everything else is brilliant :)

I would say the battery in ES100 is nothing special and same as the batteries in the other BT devices; not better, not worse.
FYI, the factory in China that we're working with also manufactures many devices for top-tier headset makers worldwide.
They manage the PCBA quality including battery well enough to meet those famous and big set makers.
You can replace the battery at your own risk.
But I don't think the housing would be adequately reassembled, once disassemble.
Thanks always!

Regards,
WS

Mar 11, 2018 at 4:27 AM Post #420 of 6,675
the different digital filter setting is really noticeable to my ears, especially noticable on the attack of the song kinda like compression effect, I only like the short delay sharp roll-off as it's the most natural sounding to me (less pumping and not flatten the attack too much

I have not messed around with the AK filters too much on the ES100 but I noticed the differences when I used the same AK Filters on my Cayin N3 DAP. It was pretty noticeable. Some worked well with my headphones and some did not. Did not like using sharp filter with planars, but I did for dynamic drivers and hybrid IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back