Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #4,141 of 6,675
ahah was just curious, i clearly heard difference between balanced and unbalanced, but im pretty confident its placebo effect for the rest even dac filter...or I have some...bat hearing sixth sens when I concetrate very hard on critical listening(?).

As well...this big warning about using 2xoutput for balanced kind of make me paranoid so I do not try it. It say: don't use it with lower than 300ohm headphones or it will make explode your low impendance gear as well as ES100 and planet earth. Is it true?

It might, I'm not gonna mess around with something that I don't know :)
Personally, if I can't hear it, it stays at default. I move around a lot so most of them tiny details won't affect much for me.
I actually want to try balanced for my SE846 but still waiting for Amazon US to have Fiio new short 2.5mm cable (I have the 3.5 one and it's awesome/perfect for ES100 :))
When using the ES100 as a USB DAC, In Charge Mode,

Do I choose:
  • Normal Mode?
  • Auto Power Off when Charger Connected?

The second one. Normal mode will restart the unit whenever you connect it so not great for USB DAC.
"Auto Power Off when Charger Connected" description does say that it turns off when connect to charger but will stay on with USB DAC

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #4,142 of 6,675
It might, I'm not gonna mess around with something that I don't know :)
Personally, if I can't hear it, it stays at default. I move around a lot so most of them tiny details won't affect much for me.
I actually want to try balanced for my SE846 but still waiting for Amazon US to have Fiio new short 2.5mm cable (I have the 3.5 one and it's awesome/perfect for ES100 :))

The second one. Normal mode will restart the unit whenever you connect it so not great for USB DAC.
"Auto Power Off when Charger Connected" description does say that it turns off when connect to charger but will stay on with USB DAC

I didn't know FiiO makes short cable, Hows the Quality of the cable? Flexible ? Any chance you could link or tell me the model for MMCX connector ?

Thanks!

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:16 AM Post #4,143 of 6,675
I didn't know FiiO makes short cable, Hows the Quality of the cable? Flexible ? Any chance you could link or tell me the model for MMCX connector ?

Thanks!

Just ordered it from Aliexpress some days ago. Model is FiiO LC-3.5BS

EDIT:Look at the S behind B, I think it indicates that it's the Short version

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #4,144 of 6,675
I am getting clicks and pops on 192k 24 bit files

I am transmitting them from Qobuz Sublime + on my Fii0 M9 via LDAC

To ES100 (latest firmware) LDAC recieve mode

Does anyone else have this issue?

I kinda ruins playback for these files for me.

Thanks in advance .

CORRECTION. I think I have identified that it's the FiiO M9 running Qobuz 192k files that has this playback issue.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #4,145 of 6,675
Just ordered it from Aliexpress some days ago. Model is FiiO LC-3.5BS

EDIT:Look at the S behind B, I think it indicates that it's the Short version
Correct, the S means short.
The FiiO LC-3.5BS is a very nice cable although the connectors are not suitable for every IEM. They don't fit my AKG N40 as the connector touches the housing, which gives tension on the connectors.
FiiO has a cheaper, basic, cable the LC-3.5AS. Costs half of the BS and the quality/workmanships shows but it's a decent basic cable. That one fit's my N40's and I don't think it influences sound much. I'm rocking the nicer BS cable on the UE900.

Hopefully a 2-pin balanced cable is in the works. Would love to use my 64 Audio U8 or Custom Art Ei.XX with the ES100.

Feb 18, 2019 at 6:40 PM Post #4,146 of 6,675
I am getting clicks and pops on 192k 24 bit files

I am transmitting them from Qobuz Sublime + on my Fii0 M9 via LDAC

To ES100 (latest firmware) LDAC recieve mode

Does anyone else have this issue?

I kinda ruins playback for these files for me.

Thanks in advance .

I'm getting clicks and popping while using Spotify WEB Player and Foobar as a USB DAC.

Faulty Unit?

Feb 20, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #4,147 of 6,675
So right now in the process of returning faulty unit, I liked EarStudio that much that I ordered new one very soon after first died(battery not charging). Finally I have also balanced cable for iSine 20, first impressions are that balanced mode goes a little deeper and a bit cleaner in the midrange. I have both cables, so maybe I’ll try some ABing.

Interesting is that new unit came with latest FW and the old one (ordered at beginning of Feb) came with FW 1.3 or something like that.

Feb 21, 2019 at 1:10 AM Post #4,148 of 6,675
As I used new unit already for few hours, I see(personal observation) that Radsone hears what customers wants, buttons on the new unit are slightly higher above surface, therefore much easier to find and click is more clicky, which I find to be more user friendly.

Funny is that probably Amazon firstly sent me some old unit from back of the shelf, which could cause the battery issues and second unit is from new batch/revision.

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #4,149 of 6,675
As I used new unit already for few hours, I see(personal observation) that Radsone hears what customers wants, buttons on the new unit are slightly higher above surface, therefore much easier to find and click is more clicky, which I find to be more user friendly.

Funny is that probably Amazon firstly sent me some old unit from back of the shelf, which could cause the battery issues and second unit is from new batch/revision.

Man. You just pissed in a lot of people's Cheerios. I wouldn't mind some raised buttons. Click buttons is a bones. Not that the ES100 were mushy but have some tactile feedback is a welcome feature.

Feb 21, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #4,150 of 6,675
Man. You just pissed in a lot of people's Cheerios. I wouldn't mind some raised buttons. Click buttons is a bones. Not that the ES100 were mushy but have some tactile feedback is a welcome feature.
I added my own raised dots, though probably more raised than Radsone will ever make them. I wanted to be able to feel them with gloves on. See Post #3160.

Feb 21, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #4,151 of 6,675

It would be interesting if you could provide a picture of the raised buttons on your new unit. I am wondering if they are raised due to manufacturing variation as opposed to a revised design.

Feb 21, 2019 at 12:47 PM Post #4,152 of 6,675
You should be able to see it on this photo:

2rcoqqa.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back