Radsone EarStudio ES100
Nov 15, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #6,451 of 6,675
Ground loop issues are common when connecting a device to the car's 12V power and the aux input at the same time. A ground loop isolator may help: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ground+loop+isolator+car+audio
Thanks for the link. I am surprised that the solution would be on the audio output side - I would imagine the solution would be to filter out the noise on the power supply side…. Am I missing something?

Nov 16, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #6,452 of 6,675
I am surprised that the solution would be on the audio output side - I would imagine the solution would be to filter out the noise on the power supply side…. Am I missing something?
The issue is the connection between the ES100 and the headunit. The two ends of the audio cable will have not have the same ground value when the ES100 is also connected to 12V power. These explanations may help:
http://www.bcae1.com/glisoltr.htm
https://www.ti.com/lit/an/sloa143/sloa143.pdf

Nov 22, 2021 at 9:11 AM Post #6,453 of 6,675
Yes I did. The first few connectors I tried didn't register anything on the ES100 when I plugged them in. I found one with a longer connector and that is the one that works "if I hold it in firmly at a certain angle". I am going to find some others to try as well though. Thanks.
Sorry for bringing up a old reply, @waynes world . Did you find a fix? I'm having the exact issue. Tried cleaning the port but it was clean... Thanks a mill in advance.

Nov 22, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #6,454 of 6,675
Sorry for bringing up a old reply, @waynes world . Did you find a fix? I'm having the exact issue. Tried cleaning the port but it was clean... Thanks a mill in advance.

Wow, I had to go back and read through the related posts to remember what the issue with it was lol!

My fix at the time was to give up, and to get the BTR3K. And then approx four months ago, to get another ES100 when it was on sale. So far my latest ES100 has continued working fine (as has the BTR3K), and I just use them interchangeably.

But your post prompted me to dig into my drawer and take out the two broken ES100's that were still there for some reason. I plugged one of them into USB charger and it connected to my phone (Samsung S8). After 5 minutes, I unplugged the USB from it. The ES100 then went through a few disconnection/connection cycles with my phone, so I didn't have much hope for it. But it reconnected and I've been listening to it for about 20 minutes without it disconnecting. Huh! I don't really know what to make of that, but I'm going to see how long it keeps working for.

Nov 23, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #6,456 of 6,675
Wow, I had to go back and read through the related posts to remember what the issue with it was lol!

My fix at the time was to give up, and to get the BTR3K. And then approx four months ago, to get another ES100 when it was on sale. So far my latest ES100 has continued working fine (as has the BTR3K), and I just use them interchangeably.

But your post prompted me to dig into my drawer and take out the two broken ES100's that were still there for some reason. I plugged one of them into USB charger and it connected to my phone (Samsung S8). After 5 minutes, I unplugged the USB from it. The ES100 then went through a few disconnection/connection cycles with my phone, so I didn't have much hope for it. But it reconnected and I've been listening to it for about 20 minutes without it disconnecting. Huh! I don't really know what to make of that, but I'm going to see how long it keeps working for.

Thanks so much for checking your retired ES100s just for me... much appreciated. I guess I have to find an alternative (5K looks great) or get another ES100 in the end. Mine is working really well with no bluetooth connection trouble; only charging port troubles. I can still charge it but have to hold it in position with my hands or some makeshift situation with rubber bands and ties to get the right angle - but even then, the connection is intermittent. It's lasted long enough to be honest... I got it maybe around late 2017 when they shipped it out from Kickstarter. I wonder if there's anyone who did a teardown of the ES100... I could solder a new micro USB port!

Nov 25, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #6,457 of 6,675
Thanks so much for checking your retired ES100s just for me... much appreciated. I guess I have to find an alternative (5K looks great) or get another ES100 in the end. Mine is working really well with no bluetooth connection trouble; only charging port troubles. I can still charge it but have to hold it in position with my hands or some makeshift situation with rubber bands and ties to get the right angle - but even then, the connection is intermittent. It's lasted long enough to be honest... I got it maybe around late 2017 when they shipped it out from Kickstarter. I wonder if there's anyone who did a teardown of the ES100... I could solder a new micro USB port!
Why do you choose to suffer? Buy FIIO BTR3K - it has the best SQ out of ES100/5K/BTR3/BTR3K/BTR5 group (I own all of them).
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001650813581.html
It's down to 63$ during BF, and you can save another 7$ using the coupon "admitadBF7" - 56$ only with free shipping!

Nov 25, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #6,458 of 6,675
Why do you choose to suffer? Buy FIIO BTR3K - it has the best SQ out of ES100/5K/BTR3/BTR3K/BTR5 group (I own all of them).
It's down to 63$ during BF, and you can save another 7$ using the coupon "admitadBF7" - 56$ only with free shipping!

I really like the BTR3K as well. It would be hard for my ears to pick a favorite SQ between the BTR3K and the ES100. But I don't have the others you mentioned, and I am surprised that you think the BTR3K outdoes the BTR5 and 5K! That said, I'm happy to believe you and save some $$$ :)

Nov 25, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #6,459 of 6,675
Haven't used this in a long time since I had bought they Q5K. Sold that and now I have a Pixel 6 Pro so going back to the ES100. Having an issue where it says incorrect Pin or Passcode when trying to connect from BT menu. All my other devices work over BT.

Anybody else encounter this? It's a brand new connection to this phone

Nov 25, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #6,460 of 6,675
Haven't used this in a long time since I had bought they Q5K. Sold that and now I have a Pixel 6 Pro so going back to the ES100. Having an issue where it says incorrect Pin or Passcode when trying to connect from BT menu. All my other devices work over BT.

Anybody else encounter this? It's a brand new connection to this phone
Have you tried a factory reset?

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #6,461 of 6,675
Have you tried a factory reset?
Not yet as I want to make it a last resort since updating FW on this thing is such a PITA

EDIT: Instantly worked today. Not sure what was up. Don't think I restarted my phone at all. Oh well, happy now.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 6:37 AM Post #6,462 of 6,675
Haha I like tinkering, so the suffering is self-sought. 😂 I'm also a bit surprised, like @waynes world, that you think the BTR3K is better than the other mentioned, it's good though! It means that they're all quite comparable. And thanks so much for the coupon! I'll definitely have a look... But I'm still charmed by the Q5K's design and app. I'm actually looking at some larger DAC/AMP options now because I want something to drive my HD6XX a bit better than what I have at the moment...

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #6,463 of 6,675
Haha I like tinkering, so the suffering is self-sought. 😂 I'm also a bit surprised, like @waynes world, that you think the BTR3K is better than the other mentioned, it's good though! It means that they're all quite comparable. And thanks so much for the coupon! I'll definitely have a look... But I'm still charmed by the Q5K's design and app. I'm actually looking at some larger DAC/AMP options now because I want something to drive my HD6XX a bit better than what I have at the moment...
Regarding driving your HD6XX, have you looked at the E1DA PowerDac? Cheap, full EQ if you want it and drives the HD6XX like a champ

Nov 27, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #6,464 of 6,675
I really like the BTR3K as well. It would be hard for my ears to pick a favorite SQ between the BTR3K and the ES100. But I don't have the others you mentioned, and I am surprised that you think the BTR3K outdoes the BTR5 and 5K! That said, I'm happy to believe you and save some $$$ :)

Not only BTR3K beats BTR5 on SQ, it beats the $400 Q5S TC as well - in fact, by a much larger margin.
FIIO has stumbled into a wonderful sound in BTR3K, but they can't reproduce this sound in more expensive devices...

I thought I liked Q5K's design too - before I bought. Hate it now :jecklinsmile:

As for HD6XX, Drop has a suggestion:
1638044112130.png

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #6,465 of 6,675
Regarding driving your HD6XX, have you looked at the E1DA PowerDac? Cheap, full EQ if you want it and drives the HD6XX like a champ
Just looked briefly at it... Seems like a really cool piece of tech! Definitely adding it to my shortlist! Thanks for the recommendation!
Not only BTR3K beats BTR5 on SQ, it beats the $400 Q5S TC as well - in fact, by a much larger margin.
FIIO has stumbled into a wonderful sound in BTR3K, but they can't reproduce this sound in more expensive devices...

I'm thought I liked Q5K's design too - before I bought. Hate it now :jecklinsmile:

As for HD6XX, Drop has a suggestion:
1638044112130.png
I must check out the BTR3K in detail again as I kinda just went past it and looked at the 2021 version of the BTR5... Thanks again for your heads up! Sorry you hate the 5K after getting it. Is it the lack of indication on the buttons you're annoyed with? (it's the main complaint I read) And yeah the O2 amp... It's a bit big for me, although I do wish one day I'd get a Schiit stack!, I'm looking for more dongle type or portable footprints like the XDUOO XD05 bal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back