Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jan 15, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #5,913 of 6,675
I have an IEM with a 4.4mm balanced cable, and was looking into getting a 2.5mm male to 4.4mm female balanced adapter. Would something like this work ok without risk of damage to my ES100 or IEM? Thanks in advance.

https://www.amazon.com/Yuhtech-Spli...d&qid=1579126554&sprefix=2.5mm+to+4.4&sr=8-16

As long as it is balanced to balanced it will be ok. You can also go single ended to balanced, I use balanced cables on my iems, I use a adaptor to plug them into a single ended output. Never go balanced to single ended.

Jan 15, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #5,914 of 6,675
As long as it is balanced to balanced it will be ok. You can also go single ended to balanced, I use balanced cables on my iems, I use a adaptor to plug them into a single ended output. Never go balanced to single ended.
Correct but your description is wrong you CAN NOT go single ended to balanced but you can go Balanced to Single Ended

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #5,916 of 6,675
That is cool. But for some reason, it stops playback on the computer whenever I pick up and unlock my phone. It reverts back to Bluetooth on the phone. iPhone XR. If I turn the Bluetooth off, start playing on the computer, then turn the Bluetooth back on, it doesn’t do it anymore. Weird?
90% sure that the unlock sound is being sent over bluetooth and grabbing attention from your PC. It seems like this device always prefers bluetooth over USB mode when possible.

Jan 15, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #5,919 of 6,675
There is terminology confusion here. I think he meant the direction of the signal, single ended to balanced is okay.
I also have a hard time trying to figure this out, especially when I recently decided to buy an adapter to make my 2.5mm plug balanced cables work out of a 3.5mm unbalanced single ended output. Me personally, I always look at the type of cable plug termination I'm trying to convert to. In my case, all my iem's cables are 2.5mm balanced plugs. That's because I replaced all the original, supplied cables that came with all of my iems (which were all 3.5mm unbalanced plugs), with balanced. Maybe a better way to look at it is: if your cable has a 3.5mm unbalanced plug, then an adapter to balanced won't work and will fry the ES100. If your cable has a balanced 2.5mm or 4.4 plug, then you can safely use a balanced to 3.5 adapter or pigtail to connect your earphones to the ES100 without causing any damage.

Jan 15, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #5,920 of 6,675
With multipoint on you can connect two Bluetooth devices and USB at once. However, it can only play audio from one source at a time. "Call"/handsfree audio takes the top priority, and even just opening the microphone part of the handsfree profile will take focus away from the normal A2DP profile your music was playing on. Also, if a second device tries to play sound on A2DP, it takes priority over whatever was already playing unless it was call audio.

So as the other person said, the phone was probably playing an unlock sound, though it could also have been opening the mic briefly. My suggestion is to set your phone to silent, or if your phone has the ability to select audio devices either select the phone's own speaker or plug in some rubbish wired earbuds for it to use.

Jan 21, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #5,921 of 6,675
Hi guys. Am hoping someone or @wslee (hope he's still on) can help... I love my ES100s but strangely it's something I find myself using for work rather than when I really want listening pleasure.

To explain, at work I spend a lot of time in "deep work" with binaural beats mixed in with music or plain music in the background and I need to take calls intermittently.

So I ended up with the Sennheiser GSP600 as my work headset. It's a pretty decent headphone (for something targeting gamers) with a boom microphone. Please don't flame me - it's the best headset with boom mic that I have seen (and could afford).

Without an audio jack on the Note 10+ I eventually ended up with one of my ES100's literally cable tied to the boom. Problem is background noise in the office (mainly my team).

Has anyone looked at the ES100's mic in depth (spec or part number)? If it's similar sensitivity to the GSP600's mic I'd be willing to tear them both down and try a hack to integrate them. Unlike the DAC and chipset the info on the mic in this thread is understandably lighter.

I did contact Radsone support but they said it was proprietary and they couldn't tell me.

And yes, I have the right soldering kit, am an electronic engineer by training (albeit a lazy one) and am willing to lose an ES100 for the sheer joy of experimenting.

Famous last words, right :)

Jan 21, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #5,922 of 6,675
I'm using it in balanced mode with a pair of Drop HD 58x's... really sounds surprisingly great... and about as detailed as you can get with these phones. Warm and lush, but kick surprisingly hard when needed...

Jan 21, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #5,923 of 6,675
So this isn't news to me, but it may be to some. Not all Android phones that support LDAC will stream it at the maximum bitrate of 990kbps.

I have a Sony soundbar that supports LDAC and will show on my TV what bitrate it is receiving. With both phones left at "best effort" in the developer settings, the OnePlus 7T will stream at up to 990, while the Pixel 3a will do 660 at best, but will prefer to sit at 492kbps even if the two devices are right next to each other. Both phones are running their latest updates and are on Android 10.

If you try to force the 3a to the best quality setting of 990, it does nothing. It's like it's stuck at best effort and prefers connection quality over sound quality.

The OnePlus 6T behaves the same as the 7T as well.

IMG_20200121_161850.jpg
IMG_20200121_162021.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #5,924 of 6,675
So this isn't news to me, but it may be to some. Not all Android phones that support LDAC will stream it at the maximum bitrate of 990kbps.

I have a Sony soundbar that supports LDAC and will show on my TV what bitrate it is receiving. With both phones left at "best effort" in the developer settings, the OnePlus 7T will stream at up to 990, while the Pixel 3a will do 660 at best, but will prefer to sit at 492kbps even if the two devices are right next to each other. Both phones are running their latest updates and are on Android 10.

If you try to force the 3a to the best quality setting of 990, it does nothing. It's like it's stuck at best effort and prefers connection quality over sound quality.

The OnePlus 6T behaves the same as the 7T as well.

Good to know there are phones that can actually stream at 990 The Oneplus 7T has been on my short list of phones for when I finally upgrade my phone. My S9 struggles to stream via LDAC to my ES100 at anything other than "best effort" and becomes unusable if I try to force higher quality (constant stuttering like a badly scratched cd). I was never too sure if it was due to the phone or the ES100 but this confirms my suspicion that it really may depend on the phone.

Jan 21, 2020 at 7:56 PM Post #5,925 of 6,675
Good to know there are phones that can actually stream at 990 The Oneplus 7T has been on my short list of phones for when I finally upgrade my phone. My S9 struggles to stream via LDAC to my ES100 at anything other than "best effort" and becomes unusable if I try to force higher quality (constant stuttering like a badly scratched cd). I was never too sure if it was due to the phone or the ES100 but this confirms my suspicion that it really may depend on the phone.

I had an S9+ like 4 phones ago and it sometimes had trouble streaming without hiccups when forcing best quality to a Sony WH-1000XM2. I didn't have an ES100 at the time. I've only had this 7T for a few hours, but so far so good. No complaints yet.

The connection between the 3a and the ES100 or Galaxy Buds was as perfect as can be, and never once had a single hiccup. Hopefully the 7T does as well while at the same time streaming LDAC at 990.

I'm not sure how much this matters when I'm only using Google Play Music which is 320kbps AAC, but whatever. Google Play Music sounds fine so I guess I'd just like to know that the Bluetooth isn't the weakest link. I tried a free month of Amazon Music Unlimited HD, but I had a few complaints with it. I couldn't hear a noticeable difference anyway, but that was with the Pixel 3a streaming Bluetooth at 492-600kbps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back