Radsone EarStudio ES100
Feb 16, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #4,126 of 6,673
I've made data only usb cables by taking a small piece of Kapton tape, and putting it on the +5V contact of the USB cable.
I did it at the PC end of the cable. Easier to me than the approach in the link.
+1 ...and I see some instructions saying don’t disconnect the GND pin. I don’t know about that. Perhaps it depends on what you’re trying solve (ground loops, or just anemic USB power). I do know that my Y cables don’t have continuity between the shields.

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,127 of 6,673
Quick update, I just made a quick "data only" usb cable by putting a piece of electrical tape over the Vcc pin on the usb plug going from the PC to the powered hub, and it isn't recognizing anything on the hub. It's a 3.0 hub, I tried it on a 2.0 and 3.0 port on the PC. Not sure if this is going to be a viable option for me :frowning2:

I honestly don't do much music listening while I'm at my PC anyway, this would mainly be for gaming which on board sound is honestly good enough. I'd just be super happy to get this working reliably and safely.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #4,128 of 6,673
Quick update, I just made a quick "data only" usb cable by putting a piece of electrical tape over the Vcc pin on the usb plug going from the PC to the powered hub, and it isn't recognizing anything on the hub. It's a 3.0 hub, I tried it on a 2.0 and 3.0 port on the PC. Not sure if this is going to be a viable option for me :frowning2:

I honestly don't do much music listening while I'm at my PC anyway, this would mainly be for gaming which on board sound is honestly good enough. I'd just be super happy to get this working reliably and safely.
I wonder if you might need to be in Self-Powered Mode?

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #4,132 of 6,673
I enter the hype train walking backward with LOT of scepticism about sound quality a BT receiver can offer...and man, i extremely impress by this incredible device!

Unbalanced sound great but its even more clear how this beast is phenomenal using balanced output...wich can be SO powerfull as well!

I write a review of it, but there so many features....it will take me a year to try to explain them all.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/radsone-earstudio-es100.23284/reviews

I wonder if i'm I crazy hearing sometime sound difference (aka more texture-details) with Oversampling?
I would like to know if anybody use this option and in what occasion, like, for lower quality bitrate or higher one? Just curious, i do not use it that much....

Feb 17, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #4,133 of 6,673
David is top notch

Indeed. He crafted and shipped the cable very quickly, and the fit, finish, and function are all great. The jacket on the cable is more pliable than on my Ares II, so no issues with microphonics. The right-angle 2.5mm balanced connector is more appropriate for the side-mount input on the ES100 than the straight connector on my Ares was. Comfort and sound are both great. I can recommend this option if anyone is looking for a shorter cable to pair with the ES100.

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #4,134 of 6,673
I enter the hype train walking backward with LOT of scepticism about sound quality a BT receiver can offer...and man, i extremely impress by this incredible device!

Unbalanced sound great but its even more clear how this beast is phenomenal using balanced output...wich can be SO powerfull as well!

I write a review of it, but there so many features....it will take me a year to try to explain them all.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/radsone-earstudio-es100.23284/reviews

I wonder if i'm I crazy hearing sometime sound difference (aka more texture-details) with Oversampling?
I would like to know if anybody use this option and in what occasion, like, for lower quality bitrate or higher one? Just curious, i do not use it that much....

I don't hear any difference. This is just with unbalanced x2 current + sharp roll-off + LDAC. Can't hear any difference with oversampling for me.

Feb 17, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #4,135 of 6,673
I don't hear any difference. This is just with unbalanced x2 current + sharp roll-off + LDAC. Can't hear any difference with oversampling for me.
Me either but have it at 4x bc why not lol

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #4,136 of 6,673
Indeed. He crafted and shipped the cable very quickly, and the fit, finish, and function are all great. The jacket on the cable is more pliable than on my Ares II, so no issues with microphonics. The right-angle 2.5mm balanced connector is more appropriate for the side-mount input on the ES100 than the straight connector on my Ares was. Comfort and sound are both great. I can recommend this option if anyone is looking for a shorter cable to pair with the ES100.

Did you go with copper, or silver like mine?

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #4,139 of 6,673
ahah was just curious, i clearly heard difference between balanced and unbalanced, but im pretty confident its placebo effect for the rest even dac filter...or I have some...bat hearing sixth sens when I concetrate very hard on critical listening(?).

As well...this big warning about using 2xoutput for balanced kind of make me paranoid so I do not try it. It say: don't use it with lower than 300ohm headphones or it will make explode your low impendance gear as well as ES100 and planet earth. Is it true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back