Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jul 14, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #1,637 of 6,673
I got mine from VE, exactly the same spec except a straight 2.5 jack - £30

EC59138B-D1FC-4E63-80C3-83820FA2FCE5.jpeg

Jul 14, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #1,638 of 6,673
I'm very much digging my balanced/removable cable modded DT1350 with the ES100 and my Samsung S9 via LDAC. The Dragonflies and every other USB thumb DAC/Amp I've had are history since owning the ES100. I'm assuming from the ES100 app and Neutron, the 24/96 albums are supported from end to end.

I haven't tested it yet, but can the ES100 internal battery be charged from a battery bank while on with music? A nice accessory for prolong playback would be a very small and portable (half the ES100, maybe?) micro battery bank to piggy back at the bottom of the ES100 via the usb port.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #1,639 of 6,673
May I ask, can I connect the ES100 through a speaker and AV receiver with a 3.5mm to 3.5mm? Will it kill my es100?
It should work
I'm very much digging my balanced/removable cable modded DT1350 with the ES100 and my Samsung S9 via LDAC. The Dragonflies and every other USB thumb DAC/Amp I've had are history since owning the ES100. I'm assuming from the ES100 app and Neutron, the 24/96 albums are supported from end to end.

I haven't tested it yet, but can the ES100 internal battery be charged from a battery bank while on with music? A nice accessory for prolong playback would be a very small and portable (half the ES100, maybe?) micro battery bank to piggy back at the bottom of the ES100 via the usb port.

I think it should technically work. Although why would you do that? Is the intention to charge ES100 nonstop? That would mean wasting the battery cycles.

If it is going to be charged when battery is low, then it is moot. Carrying extra battery all the time for charging occasionally doesnt make sense.

On the other hand, adding an amp between ES100 and ear/headphone make the music sounds even better. And not by a little. I use ES100 to ALO RX iem amp to connect to my ciem as well as adding Cavalli Carbon to JBL 305 speakers and I use eq. The sound is so clear and rich. I know its double amping, but still.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #1,640 of 6,673
If I understand the charging description in the app properly, when attached through usb the ES gets its power from the pc. I'm guessing that if a power bank(inexpensive and recyclable) is used, the ES battery will not be touched(if full) until the power bank is depleted. This would extend off grid use and use less or none of the ES battery cycles. @wslee Is this correct?

One other advantage to this method I can think of is if you left a short data capable cable plugged into the ES(the other end always going into a power bank(hopefully usb-a) or attached to a pc(usb-a) as a usb dac), there would be less wear and tear on the micro port.

I realize this is kind of extreme thinking, but it's fun to imagine the possibilities and extending the overall ES life cycle :)

I think it should technically work. Although why would you do that? Is the intention to charge ES100 nonstop? That would mean wasting the battery cycles.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #1,641 of 6,673
@wslee Is there any way to have the ES100 get an estimate of the impedance of the attached headphones?... if there was a way to do this, you could implement volume profiles for the ES100, where the eq and preamp settings can be stored separately for each class of device attached, like an adjustable pre-set for the sound profile of each attached headphone.

Sound profiles for different headphones are a much needed feature for any DAP, but it makes even more sense in a device like this, you could allow the user to keep a list of known eq+preamp profiles, like you currently have for just the eq, 4 pre-sets is very useful, and setting the name is actually really great idea someone here had too.

Just need to change the profile to include the pre-amp as just another eq setting, so it's stored with its eq profile. - edit... oh, it does this already!!! no problem.

If you could add a default class to the creation of a profile based on the estimated impedance and allow a profile class to be automatically selected when that particular device is attached, you can add the ability to auto-enable a profile for an already known device.

I think this would be a great addition to this great device, take it's practicality to a new level.

Anyone else think this would be a great feature? Volume profiles?

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 5:42 PM Post #1,642 of 6,673
A6709C65-6422-48F1-B26A-06D53FEA71AE.jpeg
This is my “portable” around the house setup :L3000:

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #1,644 of 6,673
Nice one... quick question .. is that the fenestrated sheepskin pads for the Elear? Are they a worthwhile change?
Yeah these are the dekoni ones. I haven’t switched back to the stock ones yet as I want to get a good idea of the new sound. I’ll write up something this week in the Elear thread about it.

Comfort and looks are better at least.

Jul 14, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #1,645 of 6,673
@wslee Is there any way to have the ES100 get an estimate of the impedance of the attached headphones?... if there was a way to do this, you could implement volume profiles for the ES100, where the eq and preamp settings can be stored separately for each class of device attached, like an adjustable pre-set for the sound profile of each attached headphone.

Sound profiles for different headphones are a much needed feature for any DAP, but it makes even more sense in a device like this, you could allow the user to keep a list of known eq+preamp profiles, like you currently have for just the eq, 4 pre-sets is very useful, and setting the name is actually really great idea someone here had too.

Just need to change the profile to include the pre-amp as just another eq setting, so it's stored with its eq profile. - edit... oh, it does this already!!! no problem.

If you could add a default class to the creation of a profile based on the estimated impedance and allow a profile class to be automatically selected when that particular device is attached, you can add the ability to auto-enable a profile for an already known device.

I think this would be a great addition to this great device, take it's practicality to a new level.

No, I don't see the need for this myself. Starts to overly complicate a nice simple device.. Never have seen such a feature in any DAP; even expensive ones. Why would a low output impedance device color the sound of different impedance iems and headphones anyway.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:00 PM Post #1,646 of 6,673
No, I dont see the need for this myself. Starts to overly complicate a nice simple device.. Never have seen such a feature in and DAP; even expensive ones.

Actually, I anticipate that adding a default class makes the device do the work for you, leaving you with the feeling that your default eq profile for a particular headphone is suddenly selected for you when you attached the headphone.

It's basically the same as selecting an eq preset, but easier for the user...

edit: it's even better if it works well, you don't need to open the app to switch headphone profiles, just change headphones on the go.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #1,647 of 6,673
Hi,

a question from a happy new owner of the fantastic ES1000:
Is there a setting to adjust the left-right balance? I could not find any in the app.
If not I would greatly appreciate that a setting for the left-right balance would be implemented. (my left ear is a little less sharp than my right one)

BTW:
- superb sound for such a tiny device
- I love the possibility of setting the AKM DAC filters!
- beautiful equalizer
- when updating the firmware I could not find the dfu zip file which is mentioned in the manual, but actually it was not necessary
- I am exited about testing LDAC and comparing it to AAC, I should be able to do this tomorrow.

Many, many congratulations, wslee !

Jul 15, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #1,648 of 6,673
Does anyone know where in Tokyo I might find one?

They had some on Amazon.jp, but are now sold out (and I can’t do delivery atm anyway, need a physical store). Asked in bic camera and was told they don’t stock it.

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #1,649 of 6,673

I don't like that feature (sorry). I have the LG V10 and V20 (I see you too) and it bugs the hell out of me that these things are deciding on their own which gain/votlage mode they set. Because as you rightly say: it's an estimate. My planars have low impedance but need a lot of power - so the autosensing is always choosing the wrong setting - so do some of my dynamic driver in ears, I really like that we can set the voltage ourselves manually and not rely on some autosensing stuff :)

Cheers

Jul 15, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #1,650 of 6,673
Hi,

a question from a happy new owner of the fantastic ES1000:
Is there a setting to adjust the left-right balance? I could not find any in the app.
If not I would greatly appreciate that a setting for the left-right balance would be implemented. (my left ear is a little less sharp than my right one)

BTW:
- superb sound for such a tiny device
- I love the possibility of setting the AKM DAC filters!
- beautiful equalizer
- when updating the firmware I could not find the dfu zip file which is mentioned in the manual, but actually it was not necessary
- I am exited about testing LDAC and comparing it to AAC, I should be able to do this tomorrow.

Many, many congratulations, wslee !

Yes congratulations from me too!!

Balance - it might sound stupid, but can't you set this in the OS? Android and iOS both have balance settings. You also would have to set it once in the OS and it would apply to all audio output settings...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back