Radsone EarStudio ES100
Jun 16, 2018 at 8:39 PM Post #1,411 of 6,675
Thanks a lot. I will check both these solutions. I think superuser1 has a cheap balanced cable that works with ifi micro black but I am not sure if this cable works with es100 as well since I heard from zeo that ifi uses something different for balanced. To find a cable that I can use in both combinations would be ideal.

The Meze balanced cable is astonishingly beautiful but 200€ is too much for me, I bought the HD6XX with that money. As Wslee said in a previous post does not need to be expensive only balanced. And if I like balanced I will use 3 different ones for 3 different headphones so better to be cheap. Many thanks again.
Not sure but only balanced connections I know are 2.5, 4.4 and XLR

Jun 16, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #1,412 of 6,675
Thanks a lot. I will check both these solutions. I think superuser1 has a cheap balanced cable that works with ifi micro black but I am not sure if this cable works with es100 as well since I heard from zeo that ifi uses something different for balanced. To find a cable that I can use in both combinations would be ideal.

The Meze balanced cable is astonishingly beautiful but 200€ is too much for me, I bought the HD6XX with that money. As Wslee said in a previous post does not need to be expensive only balanced. And if I like balanced I will use 3 different ones for 3 different headphones so better to be cheap. Many thanks again.
The ifi xdsd and nano black label use 3.5mm trrs for balanced operation, however the micro black label only has 6.3mm single ended for headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #1,413 of 6,675
The ifi xdsd and nano black label use 3.5mm trrs for balanced operation, however the micro black label only has 6.3mm single ended for headphones.
Forgot about 3.5 being balanced. Super uncommon

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,414 of 6,675
Thanks so much I really appreciate it. I will check the cables from them.

Just to make sure, you mean 50$ for each one or for two cables for both these two models. In any case the price seems reasonable and I will check this company.

Do you also know if the aforementioned balanced cables work with other products (ifi audio DACs)?
Please Excuse my ignorance and thanks so much for your answer again. If it was not for the es100 I would never be interested for balanced cables.

The $50 was for both cables together :)

You can choose the termination that you'd like when you "build" your cables on the site and they'll work with other sources that has the same pin layout as well. VE does also sell cheap ($5) adapters so that you can use the balanced cable with devices that uses other balanced standards as well (4.4mm and 3.5mm for example).

For full sized headphones that I'll never use as portable I always get xlr termination myself and buy an adapter to use it with other sources. I the long run I've found this to give most flexibility and be very user friendly. Those adapters are a bit more expensive ($10 iirc) but also much better built.

Edit: feel free to PM me if you've got any further questions so that we don't derail this thread :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,415 of 6,675
@wslee
As the settings (DCT Level, DAC Setting and so on) are cleared on firmware update:
Is it possible to save the prefered settings in the App and restore them after firmware update?

When new feature and corresponding configurations added, the other settings are reset together once after the F/W update.
Appreciate your kind understanding.
Thanks,
WS

Jun 17, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #1,417 of 6,675
@wslee
Is it possible to have in the app a button for a line out option?

I have seen in a previous post your comment and my understanding is that we should be careful with the device we always pair. However, I have seen in other devices this option implemented and I find it useful both in my main system and with using a little tube portable amp.

Thanks again for your super great work.

Jun 17, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,418 of 6,675
When new feature and corresponding configurations added, the other settings are reset together once after the F/W update.
Appreciate your kind understanding.
Thanks,
WS

Yes, thats why it would be cool to save the state of the old features in the app and with the press of a button reload them and send to the device. - The new features can be left on default.

Jun 17, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #1,419 of 6,675
@wslee

I know it's not my business to tell you how to run yours.... I admit I assumed it wouldn't be difficult to implement the car mode until I saw the fw upgrade that brought the "Auto Power Off when Charger Connected" mode - that complicates the logic of choosing a simple car mode or an off while charging mode... they conflict, but I can see a solution by making the 2 options mutually exclusive in the app, a 3 way switch, A, B or neither.

It seems to me that simply polling the state of the charging port for an attached charger that is not a data cable and storing the state of this in the settings storage are the only prerequisites - if I'm wrong, that explains why it's going to be a tricky one.

The other thing I will say is that if the ES100 uses a LiPo battery then discharging the battery fully and then allowing it to just sit that way is not good for the battery (nor is leaving it fully charged for a long period either) it will just degrade the battery a lot faster than cycling it or leaving it at an ideal storage voltage of about 3.85 volts... If killing the battery is the only way to implement a car mode, then it's probably not worth it. I still want the option to use the battery too!

If you find a solution that works, I'd astroturf 100 Amazon reviews for you! (no, just kidding. That's a joke guys... Radsone deserves more respect than that.)

Keep us posted

We'll add the power option operating with car USB power source without fully discharging the battery !!
Thanks,
WS

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #1,421 of 6,675
@wslee I wonder if a toggle in the ES app to prevent the battery from charging past a certain %( 80?) to preserve charge cycles. Would this option still be beneficial in modern battery chemistry and charging circuits? If so, it would be nice to see it catch on in our portable lives. Battery sealed devices especially :) :) I tend to use my ES in short jaunts, and when home utilised as a fully charged(increased wear?) usb dac.
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-keep-your-devices-batteries-alive-as-long-as-po-1823387796

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 5:31 AM Post #1,422 of 6,675
@wslee I wonder if a toggle in the ES app to prevent the battery from charging past a certain %( 80?) to preserve charge cycles. Would this option still be beneficial in modern battery chemistry and charging circuits? If so, it would be nice to see it catch on in our portable lives. Battery sealed devices especially :) :) I tend to use my ES in short jaunts, and when home utilised as a fully charged(increased wear?) usb dac.
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-keep-your-devices-batteries-alive-as-long-as-po-1823387796

For what this thing costs you might as well just buy a new one in two or three years time and not spend a moment of your time worrying about the battery.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #1,423 of 6,675
Should have added the pictures earlier - hope it helps.
20180308_044455.jpg 20180308_044157.jpg U pop it open like an external hardrive.

Jun 19, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #1,424 of 6,675
I like to keep and maintain my devices for the long haul if possible. Concious consumption, disposable culture, RRR and all that. Looking back, I've owned some of my equipment stretching almost 30 years and were already relics when acquired. Of course I wouldn't expect the ES to match those numbers, but if maintained and well taken care of, who knows..I'm the weirdo you meet on the street still rocking the BB Passport(great battery life,aptx,perfect screen ratio for cover art,bt app for wireless mouse and media controls) :)
https://www.audiophileon.com/news/blackberry-passport-review-part-2-audio-quality
For what this thing costs you might as well just buy a new one in two or three years time and not spend a moment of your time worrying about the battery.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 12:12 PM Post #1,425 of 6,675

Good questions. I use the ES100 similarly, and I have also been wondering how the battery longevity will be affected.

I like to keep and maintain my devices for the long haul if possible. Concious consumption, disposable culture, RRR and all that. Looking back, I've owned some of my equipment stretching almost 30 years and were already relics when acquired. Of course I wouldn't expect the ES to match those numbers, but if maintained and well taken care of, who knows..I'm the weirdo you meet on the street still rocking the BB Passport(great battery life,aptx,perfect screen ratio for cover art,bt app for wireless mouse and media controls) :)
https://www.audiophileon.com/news/blackberry-passport-review-part-2-audio-quality

Wow! I applaud your convictions. I read over that BB Passport review (I was a BB user), Seems like a good sounding gizmo! But it can't handle the T50RP's? Throw it away lol! (j/k j/k)
Actually, that review makes me want to dig out my Colorfly C3... it's been a while and I miss it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back