Radsone EarStudio ES100
Apr 23, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #4,426 of 6,675
Hey you were at the ex1k thread as well! Hmm i used to buy into the myth that dac chips have sound sigs. I have burr browns, akm & ess. Hate to tell you that they dont and they aren't supposed to contrary to popular belief. Dac chips are just a component in the signal chain, have their specified function, and are not the final determinant in output sound sig. Of course I'm not an amp designer and my comments are highly disputable.

Paired them with ex600 and mdr-1r, sounds not too far off from my lg v20. Of course, ymmv

That depends, I certainly notice some minor sound difference between ES100 and A&K Jr.; but beside that, I'd take ES100 any day. ES100 makes it so convinient that I longer fret over expensive DAP anymore. There are probably differences in sound between DAPs but whether I can hear it is another story.

I'm always on the go so it would be a pain to keep manually update my music library if I use a DAP, on a phone it's so much easier. Although...I wouldn't object if they make an expensive version of ES100 (better DAC or build or buttons) :)

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #4,433 of 6,675
I went ahead and ordered the ES100. Seems fine for running purposes.
Good choice, really good and my most used music gadget on the go. With any my iems it gives really good power and sound. Perhaps not the same level as the best daps i heard but it is easier and lighter of any of these. So on the go you will take it much often. With it i sometimes think do i really need separate portable dac as i can use phone and only this small bluetooth dac. And really enjoy it's quality. So portability is my priority and that's why es100 is with me all the time .

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #4,434 of 6,675
well OK, I would like something that has tuning for BA and Dynamic sets. Does that exist?
Curious about this. What differences do you hear between BA and dynamics?

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #4,435 of 6,675
Oh I guess, probably the linearity of the sound. Dynamics compress at high volumes and BAs just get louder. And of course the high end resolution is pretty different.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:55 PM Post #4,436 of 6,675
That depends, I certainly notice some minor sound difference between ES100 and A&K Jr.; but beside that, I'd take ES100 any day. ES100 makes it so convinient that I longer fret over expensive DAP anymore. There are probably differences in sound between DAPs but whether I can hear it is another story.

Yup.

I'm always on the go so it would be a pain to keep manually update my music library if I use a DAP, on a phone it's so much easier.

Yup again. And a lot less micro-sd cards are required without having a bunch of daps on the go. I'm now happy with a huge card in my phone (and the other streaming services at my disposal).

Apr 23, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #4,437 of 6,675
Yup.

Yup again. And a lot less micro-sd cards are required without having a bunch of daps on the go. I'm now happy with a huge card in my phone (and the other streaming services at my disposal).

Yup. Although, I very much prefer local files instead of streaming services.

Oh, a 1TB microsd card is coming out. A bit expensive but I think the price will drop significantly after a month or two (just like the 512gb ones). Gonna be pure bliss :)

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #4,438 of 6,675
An adapter with balanced 2.5mm male plug to single-ended 3.5mm female socket? Or is it a balanced 2.5mm male plug to balanced 3.5mm female socket?

That later is fine to use as everything is still balanced wired regardless of what plug it is. The formal is however not as the singled-ended connection will short circuit the balanced amp inside the ES100. At best it will cause distortion, at worst it might damage the circuit permanently.
Do you have any tested product in mind?

Apr 23, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #4,439 of 6,675
Do you have any tested product in mind?

I build my own cable so I don't really need to use any adapter. But I did build a few balanced-to-single-ended and balanced-to-balanced adapter as well, check out the random build thread link in my sig.

10236536.jpg

Mod'ed this cable from KZ's new balanced 2.5mm SPC cable - shorten it to about 50cm and reterminated it with Etymotic mmcx connector.

KZ's cable is quite good in quality and I'll recommend it if you are thinking about modding a cable for your ES100

Users who are viewing this thread

Back