Radsone EarStudio ES100
Aug 20, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #2,207 of 6,675
After getting PH-1 and failing on two USB-C to 3.5mm adapters I was looking for a good Bluetooth adapter. I had my mind set on Fiio BTR1, and led to wait for BTR3. Then Amazon &@SubMash got me interested in ES100 and came to this thread. After reading insights from @wslee and the white papers they have published, and their continued support with several firmware updates, and the way they handled user feedback I finally bought ES100. Will get it in two days. Hopefully it will be better than the USB-C DAC. Can't wait to try it :)

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #2,208 of 6,675
After getting PH-1 and failing on two USB-C to 3.5mm adapters I was looking for a good Bluetooth adapter. I had my mind set on Fiio BTR1, and led to wait for BTR3. Then Amazon &@SubMash got me interested in ES100 and came to this thread. After reading insights from @wslee and the white papers they have published, and their continued support with several firmware updates, and the way they handled user feedback I finally bought ES100. Will get it in two days. Hopefully it will be better than the USB-C DAC. Can't wait to try it :)
Works great with PH1, especially with Android Pie update now :) LDAC is good.

Aug 21, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #2,209 of 6,675
Hi,
the following maybe of interest to you for maximising the size of your audio collection accessible through bluetooth to the ES100.

I think most people connect the ES100 over bluetooth to their mobile phone, but phones are quite limited in storage capacity ( I have been using a Galaxy Note 8 with only 64 GB internal storage + a 400 GB Sandisk micro sdxc card in its SD card slot for storing music and audiobooks).

Now the good news:
the brand new Galaxy Note 9 has a version with 512 GB of internal storage (I understand this is unprecedented) + a slot for a SD card (Samsung should soon issue a 512 GB micro-sdxc card in its EVO series, but some slower 512 GB micro-sdxc cards are already available from less renowned companies). This version of the Note 9 is still ( until Aug. 23) available for pre-orders with a trade-in discount (€ 1250 minus trade-in value of old phone) in most countries. I personally pre-ordered one with a discount of more than € 200 by trading in a quite old Galaxy Note 3, looking forward to choose from a a audio collection of about 1 TB on my phone when using my ES100 (I have quite a number of terabytes of music on my harddisks on my computer ...)

Have nice day and enjoy your music collection,
bidn

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #2,213 of 6,675
That's a pretty loaded question. Do you have a certain board you are trying to compare to?
I am considering those inexpensive BT receiver/transmitter with CSR8675 that works as a DAC, which go for around $20-$40. CSR8675 has received praise for its audio performance so I was wondering how bad its sound quality is to say ES100 and BTR1/BTR3, which include DACs in addition to CSR8675.

For me, as long as the CSR8675 chipset has even slightly better sound than a typical PC onboard DAC I will be happy with the those inexpensive BT receivers. I do not know the specs of the DAC in my PC but generally speaking the onboard DACs found on laptops.

Aug 21, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2,214 of 6,675
I am considering those inexpensive BT receiver/transmitter with CSR8675 that works as a DAC, which go for around $20-$40. CSR8675 has received praise for its audio performance so I was wondering how bad its sound quality is to say ES100 and BTR1/BTR3, which include DACs in addition to CSR8675.

For me, as long as the CSR8675 chipset has even slightly better sound than a typical PC onboard DAC I will be happy with the those inexpensive BT receivers. I do not know the specs of the DAC in my PC but generally speaking the onboard DACs found on laptops.

I think it will largely depend on your headphones and the choice may not be obvious.
Using 2 external DACs in a dual drive balanced setup does seem to have a big advantage for certain headphones. I found that low impedance gets a great quality boost from the balanced mode, whilst high impedance simply gets a slight power boost. If your headphones are say 60 ohm or greater and you are happy with volume level from a PC, then you may not notice much improvement using ES100. There won't be any audible background noise though, unlike a PC.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #2,216 of 6,675
My headphones are around 50-60 ohms. So does that mean CSR8675 as a standalone DAC would be an improvement over a typical PC sound card?

I would say if you cannot hear any background noise with these headphones on a PC, then probably only a very slight improvement for you using an ES100 with a balanced cable setup. If you don't have a balanced cable, you may not hear much improvement.

If your headphones are expensive though, they might pick up the finer details from the better DAC on the ES100 even in unbalanced mode, but this is going to be very subjective.

Edit: ideally balanced cable and less than 50 ohms will show a larger quality improvement.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #2,217 of 6,675

Attachments

• ab357dc8a7d931421a85e2600deb9953_original.png
    ab357dc8a7d931421a85e2600deb9953_original.png
    79.9 KB · Views: 0
Aug 21, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #2,218 of 6,675
My headphones are around 50-60 ohms. So does that mean CSR8675 as a standalone DAC would be an improvement over a typical PC sound card?

Oh wait... You don't mean the ES100 at all, the on board DAC on the Bluetooth module will be very similar to a PC sound card, if you mean a base level soundcard.

Aug 21, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #2,220 of 6,675
Android users stream bt to Es100 what are your favourite music players? I have neutron, UAPP, and rocket player. Any others?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back