Radiohead
May 12, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #76 of 96
  their recording quality is very bad, which ruins the mood

Wot? Radiohead has some of the best modern recording quality I've heard. AMSP is a bit weaker (especially Burn the Witch) but a lot of their other stuff is fantastic.

May 15, 2016 at 12:29 AM Post #77 of 96
There's a hidden message in Daydreaming at last few seconds. That weird voice bit. Can anyone convert that bit into a shape which we can understand??

May 15, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #78 of 96
I'd say The Bends. They were out to prove that they were no one hit wonder. Guitar work was advanced in terms of creativity. The best rock record with great ballad writing. Are you guys even aware of the mind boggling quality of bsides from that period?!?! Yassss Amazeballs.

Yeah OKC is good too - I says it's the best art album. I just favor their ballads even more.

Ok tie.

Nevermind. Not ok computer.

Edit: I skipped out TKOL. it was their weakest album. How do you guys describe the latest in comparison to all their previous work?

May 15, 2016 at 3:48 AM Post #79 of 96
May 15, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #81 of 96
There's a hidden message in Daydreaming at last few seconds. That weird voice bit. Can anyone convert that bit into a shape which we can understand??

It's frequently said to either be "Half of my life" (Thom's 23 years with his SO) or "Half of my love," but I'm leaning towards the first one.

May 18, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #82 of 96
honestly whoever claims radiohead record great masterings did either not hear the new radiohead album or never heard a great mastered record, the new album by radiohead sucks, just listen to the song burn the witch

May 18, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #83 of 96
honestly whoever claims radiohead record great masterings did either not hear the new radiohead album or never heard a great mastered record, the new album by radiohead sucks, just listen to the song burn the witch

I have, and I really like it. I'm probably in for a flame or two here considering this forums main topic, but the music itself is by far the most important thing - the production and/or mastering is purely the icing on the cake. Good music will always shine through regardless.

May 18, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #84 of 96
Nicely mastered records? Not sure, but Pablo Honey>=In Rainbows>>>More compressed Radiohead releases.

May 19, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #85 of 96
I downloaded A Moon Shaped Pool this morning (paid for of course) and listened to it on the way into work. It's going to take a couple of listens to get into, but overall it seems ok, if somewhat navel gazing. It's certainly not as challenging as TKOL which remains my favourite RH album by a hair.

As far as the production and mastering is concerned, IMO it has simply been mixed and mastered warm - nothing wrong with that as that's obviously the intent, but I can see where some head fi-ers might get the impression that it's less than ideal as it doesn't throw detail in your face. If it did, however, then the album wouldn't have the same atmosphere and feeling.

Nicely mastered records? Not sure, but Pablo Honey>=In Rainbows>>>More compressed Radiohead releases.

Compression as in dynamic range compression is widely misunderstood. A compressor is simply an automatic gain control which cuts the volume by a preset ratio when the signal goes above a preset threshold. There are also parameters to set how fast the compressor reacts. The truth is that without compression a lot of modern records, outside of jazz, acoustic, and classical, wouldn't be as cohesive as they are with a bit of compression. Carefully using all of the settings Compression can be used as a sound shaper, allowing for further creativity. Compression is actually a good thing in a lot of situations.

When people complain of dynamic range compression, what they are generally referring to is brickwall limiting (which admittedly is an very extreme form of compression) which is often used to make a track sound louder than it actually is, and also to ensure that the track has an approximate equivalent volume throughout. When overdone it's bad, very bad, but when applied with care it can gel a track together and make it sound complete. Again, pretty much every modern track has some limiting applied.

Compression and limiting aren't bad things in themselves, it's how they are used which can be bad.

May 19, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #86 of 96
I've heard "A Moon Shaped Pool" several times now over the last couple weeks.  As far as the sound goes, I'd probably rank it on the good side of average for a modern day release.  It sounds fine to me, with my ears, on my system.  

As far as content goes, I think it's really good.  OK Computer and The Bends will almost surely remain my 1st and 2nd favorite Radiohead albums but I could see A Moon Shaped pool ending up between 3rd and 5th for me.  (In Rainbows and Amnesiac being it's competition)  Ful Stop and Idenikit are probably my 2 favorites but I like every song.  True Loves Waits was the only one that took a few listens to grown on me.  Bowie's Blackstar is the only release this year that I would say I like more.

May 21, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #87 of 96
personally I find new album more comfortable to listen to. I like the slight warmth. Not sure whether it affects the clarity though....

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #90 of 96
Radiohead unplugged is barely listenable 
Live @ Le Resevoir fairs much better

In Rainbows and King of Limbs is also available in 24 bit hi rez but haven't really given them any head time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back