Rackmount Surge suppressors :
Jul 12, 2002 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

badtz

100+ Head-Fier
Do most people use rackmounted surge suppressors? or do most just use something like a brickwall?

any recommendations?

comments about the tripplite isobar rackmount suppressors?

thanks! :_)

Jul 12, 2002 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 8
First of all, in my opinion -- based on all I could find to read on the subject of surge suppression -- there is nothing available that provides surge protection like a Brick Wall unit.

From Brick Wall's site:[size=xx-small] Quote:

A Brick Wall Surge Filter will never experience a surge related failure....

....Consider the following:
  1. IEEE (The Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers) states that 6000V is the largest transient that the interior of a building would experience.
  2. IEEE defines its harshest interior surge environment as one that could experience 100 surges of 6000V, 3000A in a years time (category B3).
  3. A new federal guideline recommends that a surge protector utilized in a harsh environment should be capable of withstanding 1000 surges of 6000V, 3000A or ten years worth of IEEE’s category B3.
  4. UL (Underwriters Laboratories) now provides a new adjunct testing service (in addition to the 1449 safety classification) that will test to the 1000 surge, 6000V, 3000A federal protocol.
    Passing such a test is a virtual guarantee that a surge protection device will never experience a surge related failure.
Early in 1996 UL applied 1000 surges (at 60 second intervals) of 6000V, 3000A to an off-the-shelf Series Mode Surge Filter.

There was no failure. There was no performance degradation. Let through voltage did not exceed 290V. Certified by UL.

[/size]

I actually had a lengthy and cool conversation with Ryan at Brick Wall yesterday, and I'll post a little more of what he said if I get a chance to this weekend.

One of the things he did mention is that their rack mount units are generally not as quiet as the "brick" shaped units, for a couple of reasons:
  1. The "brick" shaped units have smaller outer surfaces than the rack-mount units, and so they're more rigid and less likely to vibrate.
  2. The rack mount Brick Wall units are only about 1 3/4" high, and so the inductor inside comes in closer contact with the top/bottom panels, making the panels more likely to vibrate or hum under heavy draw situations.
So, long story short, I'd recommend you go with a brick-shaped Brick Wall unit unless you really have a need for the rack-mount form factor. My brick-shaped Brick Wall is silent.

Read those specs quoted above again -- I know of no better rated surge protection devices (not to say they might not exist, but I've looked and found nothing rated higher for surge protection).

A bonus is that my Brick Wall did a fine job of quieting line noise my rig was picking up from other devices in my home (sump pump, air conditioning, etc.), and so improved my rig's performance.

If you can't tell, I'm a big fan of these devices, and may pick up a couple more down the road for my video system, as well as my office headphone rig.

Jul 12, 2002 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the great info. jude! Actually, before I made this post, i read some past [09/01] threads of yours regarding surge protectors.....
smily_headphones1.gif

anywho
smily_headphones1.gif
:::

I have a PC setup and audio gear [for studio recording].....

my plan was to use a rackmount to provide the clean power to my audio equipment while using one of the outlets to go into a UPS, for use with my PC........

rackmount isn't NECESSARY, but it would make it much more convenient
smily_headphones1.gif
but again, not necessary.

I just happen to be on the tripplite site and saw their rackmount suppressors. I didn't know brick wall made rackmounts.

Too bad their rackmounts aren't as capable as their box units :frowning2:

suggestions?>

Jul 12, 2002 at 9:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Badtz
....Too bad their rackmounts aren't as capable as their box units :frowning2:

suggestions?>

From a surge standpoint, the Brick Wall rackmounts are every bit as capable as the brick-shaped ones, from what I understand. But they're potentially louder under high-draw situations.

I would definitely suggest calling Ryan at Brick Wall to ask him about using the rackmount Brick Wall with your setup, telling him exactly what you'll be plugging into it. If he thinks it might be noisy, then I'd recommend you go to the brick-shaped Brick Wall. Since rackmount isn't necessary for you, I'd recommend the Brick Wall over the TrippLite rackmount for a couple of reasons:
  1. Based on what I've read of the Tripp Lite rackmount unit you're probably considering (assuming you're looking at something like this), the Brick Wall has much more impressive surge suppression specs.
  2. Brick Wall makes units they've designed with audio in mind, with isolated outlets, and what I've found to be effective filtering. Again, before I went to BPT balanced power (which is still plugged into the Brick Wall), I was running directly into the Brick Wall, and experienced sonic gains (read some of my older posts about this by searching the forums). Prior to the Brick Wall, I was using a Tripp Lite Isotel Ultra, and it did not provide any sonic benefits, nor did it prevent the line noise I was getting from the other household devices I mentioned in the previous post.
If your budget allows, go with the Brick Wall. If Ryan recommends not going for the rackmount unit for whatever reason, then go with the brick-shaped one.

Jul 12, 2002 at 10:03 AM Post #5 of 8
ahhH!!

I was reading the thread when you were considering the BPT Balanced power........

Was it worth the investment? How is it?

[so expensive
wink.gif
]

I'll give ryan a call........

when you say "louder", do you mean sonically louder? or electrically louder?

thanks for more great info!

now if you can answer my question on the headphone forum about my sennheiser 280's that I just bought, that'd be great
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 12, 2002 at 10:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I was reading the thread when you were considering the BPT Balanced power........

Was it worth the investment? How is it?

Here's a link to my review of the BPT BP-3.

Quote:

when you say "louder", do you mean sonically louder? or electrically louder?

I mean "louder" as in the panels on the rackmount unit may physically vibrate more.

Jul 12, 2002 at 12:31 PM Post #7 of 8
how would the panels vibrating more cause problems?

if i only can pick one, which would be a better choice? a brick wall or a BPT?

also :::

how do i know if my house/apartment has more than one circuit [transformer?] running in it? and which outlets belong to which?

thanks!!! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back