Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 22, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #5,087 of 7,847
after reading about the convolution filters and hearing so many raves I decided to give them a go and have been listening with them for several hours and I like what I hear so far...the sr1a is so good I doubted it could really be improved much but I was wrong...it is a real improvement...my only one issue is that the filters require a lot more volume than I needed without them
I found that with a warm preamp and a warm DAC (not too warm for both) I did not need the Convolution filter. I expect the VM-1a to not require a filter, even with the bright Benchmark DAC3B that I have waiting for the VM-1a.

I have been using the convolution filters for 7 weeks now with the VM-1A and before that with my resistor box setup. Although not required the filters do remove some hotness which helps with the voices. I also think that is reason why you can increase the volume one or two notches with the VM-1A.

Here is a review on the convolution filters.
https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revi...isite-sr1a-headphones-to-another-level-r1020/

May 22, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #5,088 of 7,847
I start with Mitch's 'Neutral' convolution filter in Roon, and then use very subtle EQ'ing in a few key areas to top things off. The result is playback that gives realistic weight and tonality to instruments of all types, and a very distinct 'you-are-there' experience that doesn't require a leap of faith to hear. I have heard pretty much all of the TOTL headphone offerings in my system, and nothing comes close to what the Raal's can do when properly setup and driven. Yes, they do somewhat require a system to be planned and built around them to some degree. But once you make that effort, you will be rewarded.

As a disclaimer, my musical tastes favor classical, jazz, blues, folk.....almost anything acoustic....with a few other genres thrown in as well.

YMMV

Bob

May 22, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #5,089 of 7,847
I start with Mitch's 'Neutral' convolution filter in Roon, and then use very subtle EQ'ing in a few key areas to top things off. The result is playback that gives realistic weight and tonality to instruments of all types, and a very distinct 'you-are-there' experience that doesn't require a leap of faith to hear. I have heard pretty much all of the TOTL headphone offerings in my system, and nothing comes close to what the Raal's can do when properly setup and driven. Yes, they do somewhat require a system to be planned and built around them to some degree. But once you make that effort, you will be rewarded.

As a disclaimer, my musical tastes favor classical, jazz, blues, folk.....almost anything acoustic....with a few other genres thrown in as well.

YMMV

Bob
I appreciate that the filters exist as your experience with them describes how I perceive the sr1a with just the vm1a, I'm appreciative though that the stock tuning is to my preference to my system tends to be built around other headphones like it

Primarily HD800sdr, AKG K1000 BassHeavy & SR 009, with a Sonnare Emotion, BHSE and my Bricasti M3.
Tho I have switched over to solid silver interconnects through and through, so for me it was mostly plug and Play into my system and the vm1a just made everything so lifelike and insanely cohesive! To be honest I use it on a regular basis

That said it's good to hear that with rune there's an option for some EQ to adjust it based on each individual's preference, I know @Torq had some success in improving the bass response with equalization which is something I might try here shortly as that's the only real drawback I hear with the sr1a

May 23, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #5,090 of 7,847
I appreciate that the filters exist as your experience with them describes how I perceive the sr1a with just the vm1a, I'm appreciative though that the stock tuning is to my preference to my system tends to be built around other headphones like it

Primarily HD800sdr, AKG K1000 BassHeavy & SR 009, with a Sonnare Emotion, BHSE and my Bricasti M3.
Tho I have switched over to solid silver interconnects through and through, so for me it was mostly plug and Play into my system and the vm1a just made everything so lifelike and insanely cohesive! To be honest I use it on a regular basis

That said it's good to hear that with rune there's an option for some EQ to adjust it based on each individual's preference, I know @Torq had some success in improving the bass response with equalization which is something I might try here shortly as that's the only real drawback I hear with the sr1a
The closed headphones that RAAL is coming out with had a lot of bass when I heard it back in Sept 2021. Now that version was a prototype. I was thinking of buying it after I heard it for a bedroom system, but I got rid of the gear in that room. I do think the bass on the SR1a is just right. Only issue I have with the SR1a is that you cannot easily listen to it while lying in bed.

Can anyone with the Vm-1a amp tell me how many source inputs are in the back?

May 23, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #5,091 of 7,847
The closed headphones that RAAL is coming out with had a lot of bass when I heard it back in Sept 2021. Now that version was a prototype. I was thinking of buying it after I heard it for a bedroom system, but I got rid of the gear in that room. I do think the bass on the SR1a is just right. Only issue I have with the SR1a is that you cannot easily listen to it while lying in bed.

Can anyone with the Vm-1a amp tell me how many source inputs are in the back?
one, but a high quality pre can help manage multiple inputs I imagine

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 3:35 AM Post #5,092 of 7,847
one, but a high quality pre can help manage multiple inputs I imagine
I think I just had a lightbulb moment. I did not realize that a preamp could be connected to the VM-1a. When I demoed it, I thought the Benchmark DAC3L that was used was not used with volume. However, I do remember Danny adjusting the DAC3L's volume and also the VM-1a's volume. He said he likes to use both.

I have a CODA 07x preamp that is incredible with the SR1a and 2-channel amps. I can use that preamp to connect to the VM-1a and use my slightly bright Benchmark DAC3B (no volume control). The beauty of the CODA 07x is that it has dual XLR outputs so 1 set can go to the VM-1a and the other to my 2-channel amp which drives my speakers.

Good thing I asked this question because I was about to sell the CODA 07x preamp. Hopefully this will work.

May 23, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #5,093 of 7,847
The closed headphones that RAAL is coming out with had a lot of bass when I heard it back in Sept 2021. Now that version was a prototype.
Seems more like a semi-open? You'd imagine the imaging and staging would be hampered in a closed back design too.

I'd suggest the cup design serves to conduct low & sub bass, all while angling the driver appropriately for optimal staging.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #5,094 of 7,847
Seems more like a semi-open? You'd imagine the imaging and staging would be hampered in a closed back design too.

I'd suggest the cup design serves to conduct low & sub bass, all while angling the driver appropriately for optimal staging.
mmhm, it's a circumaural design but the back of the driver is still exposed to open air, so I don't quite know that it's even "semi-open" but we'll have to see what details RAAL-requisite share within time! Maybe Danny can shed some light

May 24, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #5,095 of 7,847
I could be mistaken but I think I remember Danny or Alex mentioning that the CA-1a has a 2 inch ribbon where the SR-1a has a 3 inch ribbon. As the magnet structure is where a lot of the overall weight resides I would guess it should be lighter.
Just returned from Munich. Great show, lots of fun and good people. It's going to take a few days to catch up on emails and forums... I'm writing now to clarify a few details. The CA-1a has a 3-inch ribbon. SR-1b has a 4-inch ribbon. Best!

May 24, 2022 at 8:32 PM Post #5,096 of 7,847
If I remember right, I think Danny mentioned $2500 for this headphone. The SR1a is still the top dog in their lineup according to him.
$2,500 is correct for the new CA-1a. As we have all noticed, prices for materials have been going up and up but, we decided to keep it at $2,500.
I still hold SR-1a and 1b in very high regard. The CA-1a is every bit equal to the SR just a different approach to implementing ribbons for headphone application. It's very likely the CA-1a will be more appealing to a wider range of listeners.

May 25, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #5,098 of 7,847
I have my dad visiting from Canada and today he was checking out my SR1a setup in my office. It currently is as follows:

Musetec 005 DAC
CODA 07x preamp
KRELL Duo 175XD amp
Audience Conductor SE speaker cable (unfortunately 10 feet long)
SR1a with silver upgrade cable

The first thing he said was that the SR1a did not sound like headphones and sounded like speakers. Then we proceeded to listen for an hour to a variety of music I was DJ'ing on ROON. To say he was impressed was an understatement. He was blown away at how good these things sounded. Pretty cool since I got into audio gear with his influence when I was about 10 years old. They got me into music by putting a transistor radio in my crib.

The SR1a setup I have listed above is really the very best setup I have put together for the SR1a. I had initially bought the KRELL 175XD amp just for the SR1a but it was so good that I use it only for my 2-channel speakers. The KRELL was moved to the SR1a today because I am waiting delivery on the RAAL VM-1a, which will be a bit better than this killer setup.

May 25, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #5,099 of 7,847
Just returned from Munich. Great show, lots of fun and good people. It's going to take a few days to catch up on emails and forums... I'm writing now to clarify a few details. The CA-1a has a 3-inch ribbon. SR-1b has a 4-inch ribbon. Best!
I also heard from my dealer that he brought some new SR1b headphones - how are they different from the SR1a?

May 25, 2022 at 7:14 AM Post #5,100 of 7,847
Yes, I should have measured my SR1a, as I now stare at it across the living room. Doh!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back