Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 27, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #4,591 of 7,842
I take the Can Jam impressions with a grain of salt. No way can you properly evaluate a pair of headphones with a very limited amount of time, or in a loud conference room. If I heard the SR1as for the first time in that environment, I have a feeling I wouldn’t have liked them. However, I love the SR1as at home in my quiet room :metal:

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #4,592 of 7,842
Sep 27, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #4,593 of 7,842
Hello!

Just wanted to drop a big THANK YOU for all your comments, impressions and visits to our booth!
We are humbled by many, many compliments on the sound quality at the show and we couldn't be happier!

Danny did a great job in tending the booth all alone, which is not easy, but he managed to prepare well and hold the fort admirably!

We got the big solid-state amp for planar and dynamic headphones (PDA-1a), then small tube amp for planar and dynamic headphones (PDT-1a), and unfortunately, broken-in-shipping Tube amp with variable mode (ultra-linear - triode - pentode) for just the ribbon headphones (VM-1a) on display.

We did a lot on developing cables for ribbon headphones, minimizing parasitic inductance, etc, required when the total resistive component in the circuit is between 0.2 and 0.4 Ohms and that turned out really well. Science helps in matters like these.

And, of course, there was the SR2a, a curcumaural type of ribbon headphones! Not planars that we just renamed "ribbons", like some do, but real ribbons, wanting to show that ribbons can do bass and do it wonderfully well when the playing field is levelled by adding earpads to them.

Most importantly, we are learning a lot from all of you about how to setup the sound of the Circumaurals (SR2a)!

They are definitely ugly! That headspring in reality is not what it was on the computer screen, but there was no time to change anything before the show...But, we'll change all that. I'm not promising some great beauty, though! :) I'll do my best to make piece between functionality, reliability and good looks (in that order)...

The earpads were makeshift as the initial variations of suede leather/memory foam, perforated, non-perforated, foam combinations, etc. ALL had too much bass (!) and too much midrange suck-up, so more leakage was needed, therefore the naked foam type quick-fix before the show, as any type of foam wrapped in any type of leather just had too much "loudness" effect.

So, we'll work more on earpads as they are the dominant factor in tonal balance of open-backs.
The goal is to bring up the bass but not overdo it. For now, the ticket seems to be naked foam pads to let the sound get out freely from the earpad chamber, so the bass-pump isn't too effective.

Though, I must admit, I really liked that huge, visceral, bass that we get with leather pads! Sadly, the midrange was sucked in, but somehow, I didn't mind :) ! It sent me to my 20's when I had two 12" coupled-cavity subwoofers in my trunk!

All in all, it's a work in progress that needed some feedback from the show and that's you guys!
If anyone has some impressions to add about the tonal balance, etc, I would certainly appreciate it!

Thank you all and stay healthy!

Alex
RAAL-requisite

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #4,594 of 7,842
Hello!

Just wanted to drop a big THANK YOU for all your comments, impressions and visits to our booth!
We are humbled by many, many compliments on the sound quality at the show and we couldn't be happier!

Danny did a great job in tending the booth all alone, which is not easy, but he managed to prepare well and hold the fort admirably!

We got the big solid-state amp for planar and dynamic headphones (PDA-1a), then small tube amp for planar and dynamic headphones (PDT-1a), and unfortunately, broken-in-shipping Tube amp with variable mode (ultra-linear - triode - pentode) for just the ribbon headphones (VM-1a) on display.

We did a lot on developing cables for ribbon headphones, minimizing parasitic inductance, etc, required when the total resistive component in the circuit is between 0.2 and 0.4 Ohms and that turned out really well. Science helps in matters like these.

And, of course, there was the SR2a, a curcumaural type of ribbon headphones! Not planars that we just renamed "ribbons", like some do, but real ribbons, wanting to show that ribbons can do bass and do it wonderfully well when the playing field is levelled by adding earpads to them.

Most importantly, we are learning a lot from all of you about how to setup the sound of the Circumaurals (SR2a)!

They are definitely ugly! That headspring in reality is not what it was on the computer screen, but there was no time to change anything before the show...But, we'll change all that. I'm not promising some great beauty, though! :) I'll do my best to make piece between functionality, reliability and good looks (in that order)...

The earpads were makeshift as the initial variations of suede leather/memory foam, perforated, non-perforated, foam combinations, etc. ALL had too much bass (!) and too much midrange suck-up, so more leakage was needed, therefore the naked foam type quick-fix before the show, as any type of foam wrapped in any type of leather just had too much "loudness" effect.

So, we'll work more on earpads as they are the dominant factor in tonal balance of open-backs.
The goal is to bring up the bass but not overdo it. For now, the ticket seems to be naked foam pads to let the sound get out freely from the earpad chamber, so the bass-pump isn't too effective.

Though, I must admit, I really liked that huge, visceral, bass that we get with leather pads! Sadly, the midrange was sucked in, but somehow, I didn't mind :) ! It sent me to my 20's when I had two 12" coupled-cavity subwoofers in my trunk!

All in all, it's a work in progress that needed some feedback from the show and that's you guys!
If anyone has some impressions to add about the tonal balance, etc, I would certainly appreciate it!

Alex
RAAL-requisite
Perhaps you can also offer a number of options on the pads and make them user replaceable, so the customer can decide which they prefer?

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #4,596 of 7,842
Thanks, normie610! Well, the range of bass level possibility is huge, from blue whale to dolphin size bass, so that's certainly a possibility!
I agree on the different ear pads. As a bass head, I want to hear them :L3000:

Sep 27, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #4,598 of 7,842
Hello!

Alex
RAAL-requisite
When are you guys gonna have more info on the small tube amp for planars/dynamics? Like price and such.

Sep 27, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #4,599 of 7,842
I take the Can Jam impressions with a grain of salt. No way can you properly evaluate a pair of headphones with a very limited amount of time, or in a loud conference room. If I heard the SR1as for the first time in that environment, I have a feeling I wouldn’t have liked them. However, I love the SR1as at home in my quiet room :metal:
that is exactly how I first heard the sr1a at can jam a couple of years ago and they left me cold...first off I had no idea how to wear them properly..the noise negated the strengths of the sr1a and the completely wide open nature made them impossible to discern properly...I moved on to other exhibits with my girlfriend and didnt think much about the sr1a..fast forward, I was implored to give them a chance by a friend of mine and after a short time of experimentation I was shocked by how good they were....completely different and that is part of the charm and difficulty because when you go from a conventional HP to the sr1a it takes time to acclimate yourself...bottom line...I only will pay attention to the words of those who already had listened to and owned the sr1a regarding any of the other gear

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #4,600 of 7,842
Hello!

Alex
RAAL-requisite
Have you had any success experimenting with angling the drivers during the SR2a enclosure design phase?

The soundstage and imagining could be TOTL in the right configuration.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #4,601 of 7,842

Yup, agreed. And the time factor is even more important than the ambient noise imo.

It's really nothing more than a preview really. Can basically get an idea of whether you'd like to get to know a piece of gear better in the future. Nothing compares to having the gear in your home for at least a week and preferably for months.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #4,602 of 7,842

I know that, though they look similar to see, the tech behind Ribbon is really different from AMT, but I remember that HEDD explained US they had to use huge pads to separate the driver from the ear canal by a lot.
Actually, HEDD managed in a rather reasonable price to offer probably the most convincing bass impacts of the market without any loudness effect. HEDDphones are ugly too ... but they work rather fine, though they are many issues.

As HEDDphone are using lot of plastics, they are rather fragile for an everyday use (plastics are getting old very soon, in less than 18months in my case), I hope RAAL will manage to solve 3 major issues :
-> more durability with less plastics than HEDD
-> less bulky than HEDD
-> make the SR1A tech transportable in our home or even outside at office. They should build an adapted portable Amp, like it exists with Electrostatics Headphones (Stax SRM-D10 or Kingsound M03) or Less Bx2+ for AMT tech.
That would be a nice target.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 3:57 AM Post #4,603 of 7,842
Hello!

Alex
RAAL-requisite
Please make them easily swapable and offer several options.
From dolphin to blue whale

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #4,604 of 7,842
Tube amp with variable mode (ultra-linear - triode - pentode) for just the ribbon headphones (VM-1a)

Hi Aleksander
Maybe a little early but do you have idea on when the VM-1a will be in the shops and an indication on prices? Less then the HSA-1b, more then HSA-1b or much more then HSA-1a.

Sep 28, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,605 of 7,842
Hi Aleksander
Maybe a little early but do you have idea on when the VM-1a will be in the shops and an indication on prices? Less then the HSA-1b, more then HSA-1b or much more then HSA-1a.
Unless things have changed, I believe Danny said it would retail for $5500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back