Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jul 1, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #4,156 of 7,842
Jul 1, 2021 at 11:41 PM Post #4,157 of 7,842
Listening to this album with the Sr1a (for a different flavor than with the TC).

Capture.PNG

Bass EQ-ed on my Accuphase e380.

unnamed.jpg

Very pleasurable. Lol.

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:53 PM Post #4,158 of 7,842
i'm listening with the SR1a using Amir's EQ, and added a high shelf at 1500hz, -2.5dB and 0.7Q and i am really very impressed with the Raal.
crazy what some EQ can do for it.. so much more bass and all the harshness/sibilance is gone.

20210701_193806-01.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #4,159 of 7,842
My ZMF pad rides around C, then the oval temple pads ride a couple of cm's above my temples. I have a pretty big head though. I believe the ribbon drivers are supposed to be aligned on the X and Y axis as much as possible in relation to your ear holes. There is a noticeable difference in sound when they are properly aligned.

If you find a hard metal band to be more comfortable than a soft padded one, cool. Some people would rather sleep on a slab of concrete versus a feather bed, so I guess perspective and preference are what is important. Glad you found what works for you.

I am curious though. What specifically don’t you like about the ZMF pad? Does is squeeze too much or put to much pressure on your temples? Does it make the SR1a's too wobbly on your head? Too soft?!?
So, I don’t really feel the metal band at all. The only thing touching my head is the leather strap, the metal band floats above it. Have you tried shortening the strap on them? I have it in the middle hole, but my head is not too big.

The ZMF pads aren’t bad, they just don’t feel any more comfortable. They do make the headphones feel more loose on my head though, and I found it much harder to have the ribbons in a consistent place.

I suspect this might be a head size/shape thing.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #4,160 of 7,842
yeah i just tried it.
it works.. flip of a switch. have to be mindful of the volume though, eg i'm on 40 volume for Raal and 21 for Susvara..
havent determined if the box is affecting the sound to the susvara yet. just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it and heard a difference, or not.
Mine is also the new box. But since I’m using Bakoon, I can use the Susvara out of the headphone jack from Bakoon so no need for the speaker tap from the box. And I need to change Lumin T2’s gain setting from low for Susvara to normal for SR1a.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #4,161 of 7,842
Jul 2, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #4,162 of 7,842
The 13r has 25 watts into 8 ohms not nearly enough power
Have you tried it though? Since you have it, might as well have a go. I’m seriously amazed by the sound. But of course we hear things differently, and we have different sources as well and that could play a part.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #4,163 of 7,842
i'm listening with the SR1a using Amir's EQ, and added a high shelf at 1500hz, -2.5dB and 0.7Q and i am really very impressed with the Raal.
crazy what some EQ can do for it.. so much more bass and all the harshness/sibilance is gone.

20210701_193806-01.jpeg
That’s a nice picture, @Roasty.

These are the stands from the Netherlands-based distributor?

Lastly, would be great to see photos of your entire setup! The headphones are looking nice against the backdrop you have there.

Jul 2, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #4,164 of 7,842
Listening to this album with the Sr1a (for a different flavor than with the TC).

Capture.PNG
Nice record. These guys kind of remind me of an acoustic version of the pioneering band Red Snapper.

Jul 2, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #4,165 of 7,842

Do you need the EQ at 1500Hz , -2,5dB and 0,7Q when listening the Raal with ear contact or without ear contact ?

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #4,166 of 7,842
@NOMOS i don't like the feeling of the metal touching my ear. So I angle the wings out maybe 1cm or so from the helix of the ear.

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #4,168 of 7,842
That’s a nice picture, @Roasty.

These are the stands from the Netherlands-based distributor?

Lastly, would be great to see photos of your entire setup! The headphones are looking nice against the backdrop you have there.

Thanks, Sajid. Have been watching your youtube channel! you are a natural born speaker. keep it up man!

The stands are Rooms Audio Line stands which i ordered from the thomann website. Wish they didnt cost so much.
Haven't gotten round to taking pics of my study room setup.. room is a mess with cables and headphones stuff all over the place LOL
And the backdrop is just some beige curtains which really need to be washed soon...

what do you think about the SR1a? are they keepers?

Jul 2, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #4,169 of 7,842
yeah i just tried it.
it works.. flip of a switch. have to be mindful of the volume though, eg i'm on 40 volume for Raal and 21 for Susvara..
havent determined if the box is affecting the sound to the susvara yet. just wanted to see if anyone else has tried it and heard a difference, or not.

This is really good to know. I just ordered the Raal speakerbox. Not sure if I'll fully go the speaker route long term, but I'll at least be experimenting over the next few months.

Jul 2, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #4,170 of 7,842
Thanks, Sajid. Have been watching your youtube channel! you are a natural born speaker. keep it up man!

The stands are Rooms Audio Line stands which i ordered from the thomann website. Wish they didnt cost so much.
Haven't gotten round to taking pics of my study room setup.. room is a mess with cables and headphones stuff all over the place LOL
And the backdrop is just some beige curtains which really need to be washed soon...

what do you think about the SR1a? are they keepers?
Thanks, @Roasty. Trying to do a TC vs Susvara comparison video as we speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back