Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jun 28, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #4,126 of 7,842
I’m gonna be the odd man out. I use the back strap and it keeps everything secure, even when I rock in my rocking chair (which I love doing to music. I get to vibe on the song and get rid of restless energy :L3000: )

Jun 28, 2021 at 10:29 PM Post #4,127 of 7,842
I’m gonna be the odd man out. I use the back strap and it keeps everything secure, even when I rock in my rocking chair (which I love doing to music. I get to vibe on the song and get rid of restless energy :L3000: )
This is undercover genius. It just so happens I have a rocker I’m going to try out now. Thanks for the suggestion!

Also, the back strap would make a ton of sense for this use case! Probably necessary actually.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #4,128 of 7,842
I tried it eary on without the strap but I found it no less comfortable with the strap and it definitely allowed me more freedom of movement without the wings changing position. A liittle beard stubble helps to hold those wings in place as well.

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #4,129 of 7,842
I mainly use a Kevin Gilmore CFA3 which is a current feedback amplifier. I have the Primavera when I like tubes although it's very untubed sounding. The SR1a is driven by Kevin Gilmores uberamp direct-drive which was originally just a power amp.

And I have a buttload experience with STAX which piqued my interest regarding the comments of SL/SR

Owned Elektra, KGSSHV, Carbon, DIY T2, I've heard Megatron, KGST, Circlotron, Woo garbage, Audio Valve crap, Cavalli diarrhea and so on.
Hi.

Had you previously posted any pictures, for your Uberamp, within this forum?

Jun 30, 2021 at 4:48 AM Post #4,130 of 7,842
hey for the guys using the ZMF pad on the Raal, is it the Pilot pad, or the Co-pilot pad?

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #4,132 of 7,842
Anyone listening SR1a with fully closed flaps? I prefer it that way since the sound becomes full bodied with amazing bass although naturally the soundstage is narrower. Funny thing is, on certain tracks which I find borderline sibilance with Susvara, there’s not a single hint of sibilance with SR1a. Yet, SR1a’s sound is a lot more resolving and transparent than Susvara. This thing is just too good!

Jun 30, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #4,133 of 7,842
The Raal is on its way to me and i should be getting it on Thursday.

I recall, when I borrowed it from my friend previously, I was constantly adjusting the angle of the wings. Maybe itchy fingers.. But do you guys adjust the wings depending on the song/genre, or do u prefer to keep it at a fixed angle all the time?

Also, with the head strap that goes around to the back of the head.. Are we supposed to make it such that the face pads are just in front of the ears, or a short distance forward from them?
I can't wait for your impressions now that you will own it and spend time understanding this beast. Keeping track on the shipment!

I personally found myself listening to it with the flaps opened at a 25 degree angle - it's the least wonky FR imho.

Also, the headstrap isn't necessary if you're listening sitting upright, but it you want to recline/ move forward or just rock out, it adds extra support.
Anyone listening SR1a with fully closed flaps? I prefer it that way since the sound becomes full bodied with amazing bass although naturally the soundstage is narrower. Funny thing is, on certain tracks which I find borderline sibilance with Susvara, there’s not a single hint of sibilance with SR1a. Yet, SR1a’s sound is a lot more resolving and transparent than Susvara. This thing is just too good!
I agree the bass is impressively punchy when fully closed, but it really throws off the upper mids and makes things sound congested in my opinion.

Also, the comfort of the metal frame touching the ear isn't the best.

If you're listening to the SR1a in this way often, I think you're better off looking at different HP's like Susvara or LCD4 as they will be punchy but also more spacious sounding.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #4,134 of 7,842
I listen with them pretty close to my ears, though not touching.. I still find the sound very compelling. I only play with the wings when I feel I've accidentally moved one, which is very audible.

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #4,135 of 7,842
You are literally the first person I have met that didn't like the ZMF pad on the SR1a, so I guess YMMV.

Pictures attached for reference. The ZMF pad goes over the top leather strap and the metal chassis band. Then you use the top leather strap under the ZMF pad to adjust the high of the ribbon drivers as needed.

I just realized I had the ZMF Co-Pilot Pad, not the Pilot Pad as you have!

Now I'm tempted to get the Pilot Pad and see if it works for me :)

Reporting back on this since I've had the Pilot Pad for about a week now. I still don't like it 😅.

I think I might just have the rare head shape that the SR1A's actually suit well from the get-go.

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #4,136 of 7,842
A follow-up to all the SR1A owners, take a look at this pic
signal-2021-06-30-112312.jpeg

At which point in your head (A, B, C, D) does the top "cushion" in the Raal's rest?

I think it's a little bit above B for me, about the same height as my temples.

Jun 30, 2021 at 2:29 PM Post #4,137 of 7,842
I find fully closed to essentially mitigate all the wonderful qualities of the sr1a...I do not open them as wide as some do but I do open them say 25%...in terms of sibilance I find the resolving ability of the sr1a leads to more not less sibilance on songs that are predisposed to it

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #4,138 of 7,842
signal-2021-06-30-112312.jpeg

At which point in your head (A, B, C, D) does the top "cushion" in the Raal's rest?

I'd wear mine right about point A. Maybe ever-so-slightly higher. Essentially, the bottom of the temple pad lining up with the top of my ear.

Z axis-wise, the vertical cushion 1.5-2 CM forward from touching my ear.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #4,139 of 7,842
I'd wear mine right about point A. Maybe ever-so-slightly higher. Essentially, the bottom of the temple pad lining up with the top of my ear.

Z axis-wise, the vertical cushion 1.5-2 CM forward from touching my ear.
Interesting, I've been trying to align it such that my ear canal is centered (height wise) with the driver, and the vertical cushion sits parallel to my ear where my sideburns would be. I'd say about 1.5cm from my ear sounds right.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #4,140 of 7,842

My ZMF pad rides around C, then the oval temple pads ride a couple of cm's above my temples. I have a pretty big head though. I believe the ribbon drivers are supposed to be aligned on the X and Y axis as much as possible in relation to your ear holes. There is a noticeable difference in sound when they are properly aligned.

Reporting back on this since I've had the Pilot Pad for about a week now. I still don't like it 😅.

I think I might just have the rare head shape that the SR1A's actually suit well from the get-go.

If you find a hard metal band to be more comfortable than a soft padded one, cool. Some people would rather sleep on a slab of concrete versus a feather bed, so I guess perspective and preference are what is important. Glad you found what works for you.

I am curious though. What specifically don’t you like about the ZMF pad? Does is squeeze too much or put to much pressure on your temples? Does it make the SR1a's too wobbly on your head? Too soft?!?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back