Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Nov 25, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #3,017 of 7,842
after a couple of more hours I am feeling more and more like I won’t need it in the end.
This happened to me. I used to EQ the bass from 60-80 Hz down by +6 dB and after a month or so of ownership I found myself dialing it down to a point that I don’t EQ them at all.

Welcome the world of clean fast bass :)
Oh that bass...I know that there’s no omph as you get with conventional cup design headphones due to reverberation but the bass is fast, clean and simply intoxicating!

Nov 25, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #3,018 of 7,842
For those worrying about the behavior of the Jotunheim R, heat output and position of the volume dial - bear in mind that the volume setting is only part of the equation in determining how much power the amp is being asked to deliver. It is also dependent on the input level from your source. A source with a higher signal level will produce the same output level at the headphones with a lower volume setting.

The practical upshot of which is that, unless you're using the same music and source (DAC), the position of your volume dial is not a useful indicator of how much power you're asking the amp to deliver. You'd need to compare SPL from the headphones themsemselves for a meaningful comparison.

Here's an FLIR shot of my Jotunheim R ... taken in a 72F/22C room after several hours of burning things in at 100 dB/SPL:

Schiit - Jotunheim R - Thermals (1024).jpg

I've never had either of my Jotunheim R units shutdown or trip out, no matter what I've run through them or at what SPL. So if you're getting regular shutdowns that suggests you've got other issues - including possibly a problem with your unit.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #3,019 of 7,842
What temperature is the surface of the case running? The point of your reading is inside the case. Curious to compare to external temp of case. I did infrared thermography for 10 years. Seen a lot of those Flir images.

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #3,020 of 7,842
What temperature is the surface of the case running? The point of your reading is inside the case. Curious to compare to external temp of case. I did infrared thermography for 10 years. Seen a lot of those Flir images.

The picture shows three temperatures.

The outer white rectangle is the case temperature of 93.6F (so cooler than body temperature). The second, smaller, rectangle is the average of the output stage, at 102.8F, and the final temperature of 113.7F is the hottest point of the internals as a spot measurement. None are a concern at all.

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,021 of 7,842
I couldn't see all the readings on my phone. See them now that I'm on my computer.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #3,023 of 7,842
So hopefully I should have the new HSA-1b in house for a full review for Headphone.Guru. I spoke with Danny last night and based on his comments of this amplifier, I am really excited for this one! :)

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #3,024 of 7,842
As an additional data point, I run my Jotunheim R wide open, i.e. volume dial cranked to max. I attenuate volume through my RME DAC, and EQ through Roon. I run the amp 24/7 in a standard temperature room, and even have it under a shelf with somewhat restricted airflow. Mine has never once shut off.

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:21 AM Post #3,025 of 7,842
So hopefully I should have the new HSA-1b in house for a full review for Headphone.Guru. I spoke with Danny last night and based on his comments of this amplifier, I am really excited for this one! :)

I expect you're going to love it, too ... but I'll say more in my write-up sometime over the weekend (need to finish pictures, excuse the quick-and-dirty shot of my unit here).

RAAL HSA-1b - Front (1024).jpg

Nov 28, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #3,027 of 7,842
In case anyone else didn’t realise how adjustable the headphones are - I certainly didn’t and suddenly they are loads more comfortable, no inward pressure at all now from the foam bars on my face :)

Also - is the white stuff on the inner side of of the drivers just a thin protective coating? Mine seems to have a few marks on and a couple of tiny holes - I’m assuming it’s not a problem?

And can I get any old extension cable with 2.5mm female to male? Or needs some special impedance whatever that is!? :)

Thanks all!

Attachments

• 1606552645388.jpeg
    1606552645388.jpeg
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 28, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #3,028 of 7,842
Oh and also - these things are ****** insane!!! (Insert your own expletive!)

Haven’t tried high end headphones really - only IEM.

I can only liken them to the Kii Three Speakers I had, before entering the rabbit hole of headphones earlier this year. They had all sorts of clever DSP wizardry to stop the bass booming in-room and allow the rest of the music to shine through un-adulterated!

But I would have had to have them pretty damn loud to make everything stand out ..... these RAAL serve everything up on a silver platter to you with literally no effort, and relatively low volumes!

Just awesome

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #3,029 of 7,842
And can I get any old extension cable with 2.5mm female to male?

What are you trying to extend?

There are no 2.5mm connections on the SR1a; the connections on the headphone side are 3.5mm TRRS.

Are you thinking of adding extensions at the headphone end of the cable?

Or needs some special impedance whatever that is!?

If you're using the "Amp/Ribbon Interface" box, via a speaker/power amp, then increasing the resistance of the cable will result in increased treble level. Adding adapters will probably double the overall cable resistance and that will be audible. If you're using active compensation and direct-drive, as with the Jotunheim R or HSA-1a/1b then it's less of a factor.

You're much better off just getting cables of the right length to begin with.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #3,030 of 7,842
Ho sorry thought they were 2.5mm.

meant a longer cable from jot r amp to the headphones so I can lounge on the sofa 3m away :)

But don’t want to spend £400 odd on their longer offering.

So any 3.5mm female to male trrs will do?

Thanks - your input is very much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back