Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Sep 9, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #2,642 of 7,847
well, experimenting it seems this situation exists when I use the balanced outputs on my chord dave into the Jotr.....I know it isnt the tracks because when I listened to the same tracks out of other headphones and amps there was no issue....so at the moment it seems in balanced mode with the baffle on I am hearing distortion I hear no distortion when I am in balanced mode with the baffle off....in SE I do not hear the distortion with the baffle on......so it gets more interesting

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #2,643 of 7,847
That’s is definitely more interesting...do you use your Dave in DAC mode (-3dB) or in preamp mode? Might want to try a bring the Dave output down to -6dB or -10dB to see if you get the same distortion with the baffle compensation ON when using balanced inputs on the JotR.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:46 PM Post #2,644 of 7,847
well, experimenting it seems this situation exists when I use the balanced outputs on my chord dave into the Jotr.....I know it isnt the tracks because when I listened to the same tracks out of other headphones and amps there was no issue....so at the moment it seems in balanced mode with the baffle on I am hearing distortion I hear no distortion when I am in balanced mode with the baffle off....in SE I do not hear the distortion with the baffle on......so it gets more interesting
Maybe it is clipping using the Xlr. Maybe turn down the output on the Dave.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #2,645 of 7,847
I have been using -3 in balanced and in SE mode......

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:20 PM Post #2,646 of 7,847
for all those following along and helping out like a detective I think we might have found the culprit...I went back to the balanced connection and lowered the volume on the dave to -8 and thus far it seems to have improved the problem at least for now.....what I dont understand is my roon is supposed to tell me when there is clipping but I have never seen such an indication.....interestingly I have used the dave balanced into several other amps and never had this issue....will have to keep an eye on it for a while

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #2,647 of 7,847
I tried switching the baffle compensation off. It seems to tilt the pitch higher. Basically the bass loses body. It does seem to open the sound stage some. But I think it is just the increase in balance of tone to treble centric.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,648 of 7,847
Interesting indeed, I run both balanced to Jot "R" and SE into Loki into Jot "R" out of Yggdrasil and switch between the two randomly with no issue. Yggdrasil (both 1 and 2) are spec'd to a "Maximum Output: 4.0V RMS (balanced), 2.0V RMS (single-ended)".

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,649 of 7,847
has anyone had a chance to compare SR1a to the Heddphone? The latter one, which I owned for some time, offers (to my ears) the best treble response I have ever experienced (never heard Abyss though). Unfortunately, the pressure of the cups was too much for my ears and neck to enjoy these cans as much as I should. Anyway, so how is treble on Raal compared to the Heddphone I wonder...

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #2,650 of 7,847
it does appear that balanced is too much power to the Jotr out of my dave at -3 which I was using...the problem SEEMS to have disappeared when I used it SE and when I turned the volume down on the dave to -8 balanced.....I will have to keep an eye on this going forward...danny at requisite has continued to be incredibly helpful...a real gentleman

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #2,651 of 7,847
That’s is definitely more interesting...do you use your Dave in DAC mode (-3dB) or in preamp mode? Might want to try a bring the Dave output down to -6dB or -10dB to see if you get the same distortion with the baffle compensation ON when using balanced inputs on the JotR.

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it. I'm using my DAVE via unbalanced into my Jot R and the compensation to ON. No issues. Maybe the -3dB is a bit too much for the amp?

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #2,653 of 7,847
yes since I lowered the volume on the dave thus far it has been behaving well, I do hope that is the end of the issue

Sep 10, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #2,654 of 7,847
has anyone had a chance to compare SR1a to the Heddphone? The latter one, which I owned for some time, offers (to my ears) the best treble response I have ever experienced (never heard Abyss though). Unfortunately, the pressure of the cups was too much for my ears and neck to enjoy these cans as much as I should. Anyway, so how is treble on Raal compared to the Heddphone I wonder...

I loved the HEDDPHONES and reviewed them here:

https://headphone.guru/hedd-audio-the-new-and-amazing-heddphones-yes-i-spelled-that-correctly/

Great headphones for sure! But no question, the SR1a is a top 3-4 headphone for me, yes they are that good! Soundstaging is likely the best I've come across and they are right there with my Phi TC, Susvara, and LCD-4/4z for the very best I've heard. The HEDDphones are more on the same level with the HD800S, etc... Still great headphones, just not among the top tier for me.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #2,655 of 7,847
personally I think the sr1a is the best HP I have yet heard and I own the abyss TC and susvara and love them both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back