Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
May 15, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #2,236 of 7,842
I am going to get Jot R back next week.

Since Sr1a driven by Freya and Rogue Crouns Magnum II sounds so sweet and detailed, I am not sure whether Freya and Jot R can beat it or not.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/shootout-of-nos-6sn7-tubes.957631/

By the way I am having lot of fun with tube rolling of 6sn7 tubes.

So far I had been testing with my 2 channel system, but I will do more round of tube rolling with Freya and Jot R to reach the sound that I want.

Since Freya use quad 6sn7, there could be 13 times 13 (169) different combinations.:triportsad:

So far I am happy with Sylvania vt231 in gain stage and Rca gray bottle in buffer stage.

List of 6sn7 that I have

1. Six Syl vt231
2. Six RCA vt231
3. Six Kenrad vt231
4. Quad Raytheon vt231
5. Pair of Tungsol bgrp vt231
6. quad Syl GTB made in 1955
7. Two Amperex 6sn7 made in Canada
8. Six Rca gray glass gtb
9. Two Syl GT "Bad boy " made in 1952
10. Two Melz metal base 6n8s coming on May from Ukraine ( two more coming on June)
11. Five Tungsol 6sn7gtb
12. Two CBS/Hytron 6ns7gt
13, Three Sylvania brown base 6sn7gtw

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #2,237 of 7,842
On Monday, I had got my Jot R back from Schitt after repair.

I played Sr1a driven by Jot R and Freya.

Digital source is Dave and HMS fed by ripped CD stored in SSD of Cocktail Audio X30.

Maria Carey's "Vision of Love" sound clean and detailed.

On the while, Sr1a driven by Freya and Rogue Cronus Magnum II tube amp sounds too gentle and sweet.

Overall Jot R and Freya. sound more balanced and open but not without hard edge.

I use Sylvania vt231 in gain stage and RCA gray bottle in buffer stage of Freya.

Some Nos tubes like CBS Hytron or Sylvania GTW made in 1950 give some hard edge on the sound, but not Sylvania vt231 or RCA gray bottle.

Then I drove Sr1a with Jot R direct from Dave.

It sound fast and exciting but with hard edge from time to time.

I could not listen for long time.

i went back to Freya and Jot R combo to drive Sr1a, then I got sigh of relief.

The conclusion is that Sr1a driven by Freya fitted with Nos Sylvania vt231 or RCA gray bottle.and Jot R sounds musical and balanced.

But I could not listen to Sr1a driven by Jot R only with too aggressive sound.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #2,238 of 7,842
But I could not listen to Sr1a driven by Jot R only with too aggressive sound.

Did you try a different player (something that conveys more body/weight in the music with less sharply defined edges), just to see if you would like it more with Jot/RAAL?

May 19, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #2,239 of 7,842
Did you try a different player (something that conveys more body/weight in the music with less sharply defined edges), just to see if you would like it more with Jot/RAAL?
In general CD ripped in SSD sounds more accurate.

Dave and HMs sounds neutral while Lampi GG or Pacific Dac which sounds warm due to tube output.

The solution is simple.

Just add Freya +(900$) fitted with good Nos tubes(around 200$ for quad) in front of Jot R.

Freya+ in front of Kgsshv Carbon drive Stax 009s with more refinement.

Last edited:
May 19, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #2,240 of 7,842
Running the Freya with NOS Russian MELZ 1578 black plate with holes on the differential gain stage (Right side of Freya) and NOS TUNG-SOL JAN CTL 6SN7GT / VT-231 Round Black Plates/Blackglass with oval top mica on the cathode follower (Left side of Freya) for me is a match made in heaven! Really tames the hard-edged sound of the Jotunheim-R feeding the SR1-A.

Melz.JPG

Tung Sol.JPG

May 19, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #2,241 of 7,842
Running the Freya with NOS Russian MELZ 1578 black plate with holes on the differential gain stage (Right side of Freya) and NOS TUNG-SOL JAN CTL 6SN7GT / VT-231 Round Black Plates/Blackglass with oval top mica on the cathode follower (Left side of Freya) for me is a match made in heaven! Really tames the hard-edged sound of the Jotunheim-R feeding the SR1-A.

I do not think one need to use expensive TS brgp ( I have one) in buffer stage.

It seems that 90$ pair RCA gray bottle work well.

I expect to get 1578 with five holes this coming Friday.

After testing it on my 2 channel system, I may try that on Freya too.

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #2,242 of 7,842
Give the MELZ/Tung Sol blackglass combo a try if you can.
Listening to it right now, the music sounds magical coming out of the SR1a.
And you are not kidding about the cost of this combo, almost as much as the Freya + if not more.
I got quite a few of these holy grail tubes in my treasure chest reason I was able to try it and I am not looking back. YMMV.

May 20, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #2,243 of 7,842
Is SR1a structurally sound? (Weird/dumb question)
I am thinking about buying one used as I loved K1000 when I tried it a few years back, but the warranty is not transferable and I have had bad experience of buying used Stax...

May 20, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #2,244 of 7,842
I am thinking about buying one used as I loved K1000 when I tried it a few years back, but the warranty is not transferable and I have had bad experience of buying used Stax...
I've had mine for a couple of months now. No structural problems, but I have been a bit overly cautious. You can move the earspeakers pretty easily, and they are attached to a metal holder thing you have to bend out to fit properly. The SR1a feels like it could easily be broken, but the Raal guys told me that it would be very hard to break it, and that I shouldn't worry too much. So, take that for what it's worth.

May 21, 2020 at 12:17 AM Post #2,245 of 7,842

I wouldn‘t worry too much on buying used SR1a. The headphone seems pretty resilient. As long as no obvious physical damage to unit, you should be fine. The key thing is many of the parts are modular and easily replaced, including, and most importantly, the ribbon cartridge that is producing all the sound!

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 1:39 AM Post #2,247 of 7,842
in this video:

I see that the headphones are worn all the way forward, practically the driver is not on the ear, the sound is not direct, while in subsequent images the headphones are worn with the driver on the ear.

Attachments

• CF315CF9-3F3D-4088-83FF-5D79620876D6.jpeg
    CF315CF9-3F3D-4088-83FF-5D79620876D6.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BDAA0E2B-98DB-4259-9AFB-CD6AF02DD42E.jpeg
    BDAA0E2B-98DB-4259-9AFB-CD6AF02DD42E.jpeg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
May 21, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #2,248 of 7,842
I wear the headphones with the driver attached to the ear, monitor setting without reflections, voices in the foreground and great dynamics, the flaps not very open.
Precisely for this reason the metal of the driver gave me some itching in the ear and I solved it with acoustic canvases cut on the portion of the driver.
The result is also excellent as a timbre, the headphones always sound precise and dynamic but with a greater presence of low range.
For me, it is primarily a reason for comfort, and that little canvas does not make me itch anymore.
3026356B-1F78-4DFB-ABC5-0B4263E36AB3.jpeg

May 21, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #2,249 of 7,842
I wear mine slightly open, but I listen to genres that do not emphasize speed/bass. This is one of the things I love about the Raals. When I just wanna chill with nick drake I can open them up and relax, and when I want to be taken on a trip by Genesis I can close them up and absorb the detail.

May 22, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #2,250 of 7,842
Give the MELZ/Tung Sol blackglass combo a try if you can.
Listening to it right now, the music sounds magical coming out of the SR1a.
And you are not kidding about the cost of this combo, almost as much as the Freya + if not more.
I got quite a few of these holy grail tubes in my treasure chest reason I was able to try it and I am not looking back. YMMV.
2647272-1d41e2fa-pair-melz-russian-1578-6sn7-metal-base-super-tubes.jpg

I received Melz 1578 tube yesterday and did test on my 2 channel system.

It blew my mind with nice decay and body, deep bass, wide and deep soundstage.

I had not been blown by TS bgrp just impressed with its transparency.

To me this one is one tier above TS bgrp.

I am listening to "The Wall" which sounds full and powerful without subwoofers.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133366164135

I ordered one more tube as spare.

After I get one more pair, I will test it on Freya +.

If I like it on Freya, then I will order some more from Russian dealers in Ebay.

Some Russian dealers offer 60 days return. :triportsad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back