Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Jan 26, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #1,819 of 7,842
I got my Jot R yesterday.

Fresh out of box, it did sound veiled without enough bass

But it did not sound sibilant or harsh tthough.

I had kept playing it 4 hours then much of veil was gone with more bass coming out.

After having it on overnight, temperature on the top plate was around 90 degree, thus it appears to be fine to leave it on 24/7.

This morning I had serious comparison between Jot R and Crown XLS 2502(775 watts for 4 ohm), using Dave and Mscaler and Purist Audio Design balanced cable.

To my surprise, they sound very similar.

Crown has slight edge on bass impact and speed.

Jot R has slight edge on clean treble and details.

Soundstage width and depth are on par.

I am 60 years young.

I favor slightly more warm sound of Jot R over Crown.

But really young people under 30 may favor Crown over Jot R with slightly more fast and exciting bass.

You have to be careful not to fry out interface if you use Crown XLs 2502.

When I play some pop music very loud, the interface box got hot, I stopped and put fan on it to cool it down.

After one day of playing Jot R, I can give heartful recommendation of Jot R with Sr1a.

If sound improve further, then I will report update.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,820 of 7,842
I got my Jot R yesterday.

Fresh out of box, it does sound veiled without enough bass

But it did not sound sibilant or harsh tthough.

I had kept playing if 4 hours then much of veil is gone with more bass coming out.

Do you get the same bass distortion like Satcher had:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-ribbon-headphones-srh1a.890603/page-120#post-15434060

Can you test John Legend's "Everybody Knows" on youtube & see if the the beginning of the song crackles/distorts?

Jan 26, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #1,821 of 7,842
Do you get the same bass distortion like Satcher had:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-ribbon-headphones-srh1a.890603/page-120#post-15434060

Can you test John Legend's "Everybody Knows" on youtube & see if the the beginning of the song crackles/distorts?
I do play pretty loud but not at the level to hurt my hearing.

I have not noticed any distortion with Jot R yet.

My main system play only ripped CD stored in music server or CD transport.

Thus I can not test Youtube music on it.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,823 of 7,842
The package deal will be available soon enough.

I can't say when, exactly, as we're trying to find the solution for re-finishing and branding as RAAL-requisite. We can't get that service from Schiit, so we'll do it elsewhere, but that's what makes the delay.
We also need to make different foam inserts for the case...

We'll deduct the value of the Interface box, if you don't need it, so there will be savings.

RAAL 1995 Stay updated on RAAL 1995 at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/raalribbon https://raalribbon.com/
Jan 26, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,824 of 7,842
More news is that we are just finishing our own amp for SR1a, branded as RAAL-requisite, developed and built by another Serbian company, SAEQ, owned by Dragan Domanovich.

We worked very closely together for a year, with countless sessions and circuit iterations, to develop this reference class amp, as you young people would say, a TOTL amp.
It is of, nowadays unusual, quasi complimentary topology with a cap at the output and it is quite surprising to me that this topology has so much untapped potential and that it can work at the level it does. However, once you really get into trying to understand this circuit, it's no surprise that it is THAT good...It beats my beloved Benchmark AHB2 and anything else that I have ever heard on SR1a, so I'm very excited about it!

It can drive two sets of SR1a, it has switchable EQ for SR1a, so it will drive our future models that may not need the EQ, as well as driving a pair of speakers with moderate power. It has RCA and XLR inputs (and it works better on XLR's).

The price will be ~ $3500 and the first dozen will be ready for sale in about 2-3 weeks.

Jan 26, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #1,825 of 7,842
After further testing with

81ySN3LlxNL._SL1200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008FVZHCW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found Jot R give wider and deeper soundstage than Crown.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #1,826 of 7,842
The package deal will be available soon enough.

I can't say when, exactly, as we're trying to find the solution for re-finishing and branding as RAAL-requisite. We can't get that service from Schiit, so we'll do it elsewhere, but that's what makes the delay.
We also need to make different foam inserts for the case...

We'll deduct the value of the Interface box, if you don't need it, so there will be savings.
Wait, so you guys will have two amps that will work without the interface box? I thought you guys will have a red amp that has the Jotunheim R parts inside it?

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #1,827 of 7,842
I’ve got a little over 24 hours on the JotR running continuously. I’m not going to say this makes the SR1a “a completely different headphone that’s better than anything.” No, the SR1a is the same headphone, but it is audibly different and, to my ears, markedly better. I’ve been listening to the SR1a/Buffer/Vidar combo for over a month. I’ve come to the conclusion that, while this is competitive with my Stax009/T2 combo, it’s not better, and probably not quite as good. But the JotR changes that. As I have noted in another post, and additional hours of break-in continue to confirm, this is an improved experience compared to the Buffer Box/Vidar. The JotR sounds:
1. More open, in the sense that higher frequencies have more air around them;
2. Conversely, those same high frequencies are smoother, less sibilant;
3. Bass is significantly better-controlled and mid-bass is very tight and authoritative; piano in this range sounds superb;
4. Mids have a depth and resonance, that makes the Vidar sound thin, though “thin” is not how I would have described it before today (maybe “less full” is better);
5. Percussion is amazing. Transients, attack and decay, are significantly improved.
In addition to the JotR, I also moved the SR1a into the MSB signal path. The Lumin A1 that was previously feeding the SR1a is a very good, musical DAC, but it is a bit veiled, less detailed, and two-dimensional even, compared to the MSB. So in fairness to the Vidar, this DAC switch has probably helped to improve the sound of the SR1a.

I should be receiving a Stax 009S before too long, and it will be interesting to see how it compares. Right now, the SR1a sounds amazing and, while I find the Stax more comfortable to wear, and its imaging and F-B depth more familiar and realistic to me, the RAAL night just sound better overall. It’s going to take some more careful level-matching and extended comparisons to have confidence in that assessment (or its rejection), though. BTW, that’s a 13x cost differential in the amps.

Excellent result! I'm thinking it might make more sense for me to make an adapter box that connects direct to my back of my Puremusic by unscrewing the Furutech binding posts. This way you can remove the box, and still use the Puremusic for speakers if you want. And the connection will be just as clean as if the parts were used internally. Seems there's a lot of performance being left on the table with the choice of resistors in the stock interface box. But to use the best resistors gets quite expensive if you're not selling direct. The MSRP would be too high. THD+N along with IMD on the output of the interface box, compared to the input, tells us quite a bit.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #1,828 of 7,842
Wait, so you guys will have two amps that will work without the interface box? I thought you guys will have a red amp that has the Jotunheim R parts inside it?
It is good to have choices for Sr1a users.

So far I got very favorable impression of Jot R.

It sound smooth (not dry) but with pretty fast transients (slightly short of Crown but still excellent).

With Chesky test CD, I could realize how wide and deep Sr1a can get with Jot R.

I have HD 800s, but it seems that Sr1a give slightly more wide and deep soundstage than HD 800s.

I got Jot R without digital card, since I expect to use it at home paying 800$.

It is an excellent value for the money.

If Raal also make excellent direct amp, users will have more choice.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #1,829 of 7,842
Yes. There's Jotunheim R in whatever livery and there is another one, RAAL-requisite HSA-1a.
Some quick and dirty pics of the prototype:
Amp front - prototype.jpg
Amp back - prototype.jpg
Amp top - prototype.jpg
The changes to what is seen here are: the volume know will be mirror-polished red anodized, the logo will have red zig-zag line.

Jan 26, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,830 of 7,842
Yes. There's Jotunheim R in whatever livery and there is another one, RAAL-requisite HSA-1a.
Some quick and dirty pics of the prototype:

The changes to what is seen here are: the volume know will be mirror-polished red anodized, the logo will have red zig-zag line.
What is the volume pot in this amp ?
Schiit Audio use Blue ALPS Potentiometer in all of its amps which i dont like its sound anymore,
so i pass on any amp use that pot and i hope this amp use a different one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back