Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Apr 5, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #692 of 7,842
Could you please elaborate more what you exactly mean by that?
The HE headphones sound completely different and to my own opinion not as good as the Empyrean. They offer a thinner sound which I don't like. But, you know, to each their own. And the Empyrean scorches the HE1000 in the bass department.

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:37 AM Post #694 of 7,842
The foam earpads are quite expensive to replace at $99. Are they expected to need replacement routinely (i.e., from compressing over time from the clamping force, such as what occurs with the HD650)?

There is almost no clamp force as they kinda float/hang down loosely from your head. Don't see the earpads needing routine replacements.

Has anyone tried class D amps? SRH1A has piqued my curiosity but kind of want to run them w/ class D monoblocks like Bel Canto. Or do class A amps work better w/ these?

I'm currently using a class D amp with these and they sound great! The good thing is you can run them off your class D amps now and upgrade your amplifier later if you feel like doing so.

The HE headphones sound completely different and to my own opinion not as good as the Empyrean. They offer a thinner sound which I don't like. But, you know, to each their own. And the Empyrean scorches the HE1000 in the bass department.

Have you heard the HE1000se? It's more grounded than previous iterations and come within striking distance of Susvara. Empyrean bass sounded a little sloppy to me. I preferred both the HE1000se and the Diana Phi over it. Anyway, back to the SR1a.

Apr 5, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #695 of 7,842
There is almost no clamp force as they kinda float/hang down loosely from your head. Don't see the earpads needing routine replacements.

I'm currently using a class D amp with these and they sound great! The good thing is you can run them off your class D amps now and upgrade your amplifier later if you feel like doing so.

Have you heard the HE1000se? It's more grounded than previous iterations and come within striking distance of Susvara. Empyrean bass sounded a little sloppy to me. I preferred both the HE1000se and the Diana Phi over it. Anyway, back to the SR1a.
@canjam NYC. Now the Susvara is something else entirely.

Apr 5, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #697 of 7,842

Good to know! Which class D amp are you using?

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #698 of 7,842
I am intrigued by these headphones particularly because I have a respectable two-channel speaker system and can use my power amps (appreciate that this can also be done with certain other headphones but this is truly dedicated to be used in this way). I contacted Alex and Danny yesterday and received a very prompt and helpful response. As I live in Brasil I will need to try and audition them somehow and then if I buy them work out how to get them here without paying about 100% in taxes (Yes, Brazil is insane). I am continuing to read through the thread but has anyone compared these extensively against the SR-009s which I currently own?

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #699 of 7,842
I am intrigued by these headphones particularly because I have a respectable two-channel speaker system and can use my power amps (appreciate that this can also be done with certain other headphones but this is truly dedicated to be used in this way). I contacted Alex and Danny yesterday and received a very prompt and helpful response. As I live in Brasil I will need to try and audition them somehow and then if I buy them work out how to get them here without paying about 100% in taxes (Yes, Brazil is insane). I am continuing to read through the thread but has anyone compared these extensively against the SR-009s which I currently own?
Have you read Zhanming057 review? He talks a bit about that.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/raal-requisite-sr1a.23620/reviews

This is Jerseyboy's impression so far about the 009S

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/raal-ribbon-headphones-srh1a.890603/page-23

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #700 of 7,842
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #702 of 7,842
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #703 of 7,842
Thanks HoloSpice. Reading all I can about these including the 6 Moons review. I am assuming for jazz, vocals and acoustic there are no particular issues once you get accustomed to the directness of the sound, is that right?
No issues at all, providing these are well driven that is... Sold my 009 with no regret. :stuck_out_tongue::thumbsup:

"These will do everything better than the 009,Susvara, Abyss Phi TC, LCD4z,Shangri-La, and HE-1."

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 1:52 PM Post #704 of 7,842
Has anyone measured this yet? Need to see any measurements before considering it seriously.
I suspect that these headphones do not respond well to EQ because of high wattage they require.
If tonal balances are difficult to correct via EQ, need to confirm whether there are any peaks or valley through FR.

Apr 5, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #705 of 7,842
Has anyone measured this yet? Need to see any measurements before considering it seriously.
I suspect that these headphones do not respond well to EQ because of high wattage they require.
If tonal balances are difficult to correct via EQ, need to confirm whether there are any peaks or valley through FR.
Loool thers no need for eqing if your gear is up to stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back