Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A
Mar 23, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #407 of 7,847
IMO, they should have added an option to place both a bottom and a top triangle piece of foam on the headphone to touch between the head and driver, to make the drivers sit at a predetermined 30degree angle.
The continuity of "driver surface to the head(ear area) would have increased bass impact and lessened the need for any EQ, for those that felt they may need more Bass impact.
Just a thought.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #408 of 7,847
IMO, they should have added an option to place both a bottom and a top triangle piece of foam on the headphone to touch between the head and driver, to make the drivers sit at a predetermined 30degree angle.
The continuity of "driver surface to the head(ear area) would have increased bass impact and lessened the need for any EQ, for those that felt they may need more Bass impact.
Just a thought.

The thing is, the optimal placement of the drivers depends on the shape and location of your ears as well as personal tastes for bass quantity and imaging. I find myself perferring a wider position which may have something to do with the size of my ears (quite large), while others seems to use them at a much smaller angle away from the ear canal.

I do like the idea of having a few "presets" in maybe 5 or 10 degree increments up to 90 degrees. In practice though, it's not something I find troubling since once you get used to a particular positioning you instinctively know when the drivers are too "wide" or "narrow" in positioning.

Mar 23, 2019 at 6:30 PM Post #409 of 7,847
Several people have already posted about price/availability in Europe but there has been no response. Would be great to get this info.

A 'bang-for-the-buck' candidate high power amp for driving the RAAL SR1As... Hypex NCore NC502MP

My first thought when I heard about these headphones was that they could be a great match with an NCore amp. Would be great to hear more impressions/comparisons of this combination.

New, assembled in case, with the AC & in/out connectors, etc. to order for $825, from an eBay seller in NJ

There's no need to rely on an Ebay seller. There are other options such as buying components direct from Hypex:

https://www.diyclassd.com

or buying fully assembled amps:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/powe...s-d-amplifier-ncore-2x250w-4-ohm-p-13545.html

Mar 23, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #410 of 7,847
My first thought when I heard about these headphones was that they could be a great match with an NCore amp. Would be great to hear more impressions/comparisons of this combination.

There's no need to rely on an Ebay seller. There are other options such as buying components direct from Hypex:

https://www.diyclassd.com

or buying fully assembled amps:

My first Hypex Ncore amps were DIY kits, the NC400 modules (400wpc) and SMPS600 power supply modules, purchased direct from Hypex at https://www.diyclassd.com.

Recently I bought a NC500-based Hypex Ncore amp (dual-mono 500wpc) from eBay - this amp works fine & I'm very pleased with the sound quality. It sounds like my NC400 amps -- that is, utterly transparent, totally neutral, with absolutely no sound coloration = no character of its own, or 'personality' (that's IMO -- don't claim to have "golden ears'')

Perhaps regrettably, shortly after purchase, I found that Nord Acoustics in England offers what could be a better deal.
The Nord One NC500 'UP' amplifier is also based on the Hypex NCore NC500 with twin SMPS1200A700 PSU’s. Nord claims that their 'UP' version of the NC500 Ncore amp sounds better, due to it's proprietary Nord Class A Discrete Input Buffer board with discrete Op Amps from Sonic Imagery or Sparkos. ('UP' amp base price: 1309 pounds + shipping +tax).

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a Nord Ncore amp - Said to be totally neutral, which suits the character of the SR1a headphone. I recall that Moon's review of SR1a favorably mentioned the Nord Ncore amps.

I feel that even my stock Hypex amps are great with the SR1a headphones.
Hypex Ncore are the best amps I've ever heard on my loudspeakers that use Raal ribbon tweeters (this was mentioned in my previous posts).

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #411 of 7,847
Tried something new with lighting this time...

t7YGppx.jpg

And here's one with just the SR1a's...

w9rvxZn.jpg

Mar 24, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #416 of 7,847
Find i edit too

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 6:34 PM Post #417 of 7,847
Edited.

Just want to say

ALL HAIL SONY R-10

Attachments

• legends.jpg
    legends.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 7:12 PM Post #418 of 7,847
There is a lot of scam on eBay with all the 'kings' shown above, which doesn't mean much I guess ;'))

Mar 24, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #419 of 7,847
There is a lot of scam on eBay with all the 'kings' shown above, which doesn't mean much I guess ;'))

Thats cool. You are just helping me! LOL! Sony V6 baby! thats all anyone needs $50

But people who has this scammy vibe going on now. Can not ever call them king of sound or better than He-1! I will come back and poke fun of them !!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back