1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Raal Ribbon Headphones - SRH1A

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by once, Oct 7, 2018.
First

Back
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
104 105 106 107 108 109
Next

Last
  1. manueljenkin
    The burst responses follow up with thd on good systems. But there are lots of bad systems where they just don't correlate. Happy to hear the raal is one of those good systems.

I personally own thx00 and I know the list of aberrations it produces which go unnoticed in FR and thd charts. I have a full on explanation of why thx00 has a sibilance with male vocals even though it's thd and fr says opposite. I have test tones which can measure the same, I'm currently writing out equations which describe the same.

Also thanks for the measurement advice, using an electret in the ear and measuring. I have to try the same for my srh1540 and if I could find, a srh1840. They seem to measure bad in thd but in reality it's actually the measurement rig rattling. That kind of thd is quite impossible mechanically considering their Csd is among the quickest.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  2. nishan99
    How sensitive are those headphones to the amplifier noise floor? should I worry about that?

3. audioot
    My interest in the Raal SRH1A is certainly awakened after extensive listening tests and I really enjoy the sound reproduction.
    I would like to control this with a Passlabs 350 power amplifier
    But I have a practical problem.
    Because I want to listen about 19 feet from the installation I am looking for an option for the raal to do this without loss of quality in playback.
    Are there very good DIY cabels that are suitable for this and have a low resistance that can be used for these headphones.
    Or should I extend the speaker cables with box to the listening position to resolve this.
    Anyone have an idea or good tips for my solution then I would love to hear from you.

Greetings from Holland

4. Zhanming057
    Extend the speaker cables. Those should be 14 awg or thicker already (and you should definitely avoid overly thin speaker cables too) and is much easier to source than a 19 ft cable that stays below 0.5 ohm. A headphone cable that goes the entire length would be pretty thick and heavy.

5. audioot
    Ok, thanks for your response.
    In the case of extremely low ohm impendance cables, it is therefore not advisable to keep them long.
    So rather thick speaker cables AWG 14 or lower gives the best result here.

Greetings from Holland

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    Zan.Tiago likes this.
  6. KaiSc
    Everything is connected / chained in series:
    Speaker cable - interface box internal resistors and EQ circuit - possible extension cable - headphones cable.
    So soundwise it doesn't make a difference at which point of the chain you insert an extension.
    It's just a question of convenience.

19 feet of 21AWG speaker cable would equal in a total resistance of 0.51Ω.
    So with something in the range of 17-15AWG you are far on the safe side.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  7. PeteSTRADAMUS
    Serious question. Does anyone know a dealer in NJ/NYC that has the RAAL available for demo?

8. nishan99
    Stop comparing. Not just audio, pretty much everything in life. But we enjoy doing it anyway :D

9. joseph69
    Yes, I've been there twice.
    :dt880smile:

10. PeteSTRADAMUS
    Where? Lamaluv sold his Friday. I missed out haha

11. joseph69
    No, he didn't.

12. PeteSTRADAMUS
    What? He said he was selling it Friday.

13. joseph69
    @PeteSTRADAMUS
    I shouldn't have said "no he didn't" if you're referring to yesterday?
    I assumed you were talking about a week ago yesterday, so you could be correct/

14. PeteSTRADAMUS
    Huh? Lol

15. FLTWS
    Sub'd.

dieslemat likes this.
First

Back
93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102
104 105 106 107 108 109
Next

Last