R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #3,481 of 4,410
One thing that I have experienced and can't figure out is the following. When playing longer songs on the R5 via Amazon Music HD, sometimes the unit jumps to the next song in the playlist at about the 1/3 to 1/2 through the song. I have tried deleting the song and downloading again, and that does not seem to fix the problem. Anybody have any guesses as to what may be going on?

Dec 18, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #3,483 of 4,410
I've also noticed the sound skipping issue when using USB DAC mode - I thought it was my ears at first so reassuring to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem!
It's a shame as it means I'm less inclined to use my R5 in USB DAC mode.

I continue to wonder whether these original issues with the R5 were addressed at all in the R5S.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #3,484 of 4,410
I continue to wonder whether these original issues with the R5 were addressed at all in the R5S.

I doubt it, AFAIK only change was the op amps and some lpf tweaking. I'll try to try mine this weekend on dac mode. I haven't even tried Bluetooth yet, I just assumed it was weak like 80% of the daps I've used, the r3p kind of is a bit better but still cuts out, I'm assuming r5s is the same.

I'm talking about bt transmission, I've never had any problems in reciever mode but I'm also usually very close to the source.

What I do like is that they added system wide mseb support, and system support for plug ins. So far my general use with Tidal, neutron, and hiby music has been flawless.

Also looks like the new r6 is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Not for me at that size though:wink: but I can see the value in that price for the package. Well I guess like fiio hiby is really good at value. Some people got r5 for 300 dollars and that's a steal in my book.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #3,485 of 4,410
I doubt it, AFAIK only change was the op amps and some lpf tweaking. I'll try to try mine this weekend on dac mode. I haven't even tried Bluetooth yet, I just assumed it was weak like 80% of the daps I've used, the r3p kind of is a bit better but still cuts out, I'm assuming r5s is the same.

I'm talking about bt transmission, I've never had any problems in receiver mode but I'm also usually very close to the source.

What I do like is that they added system wide mseb support, and system support for plug ins. So far my general use with Tidal, neutron, and hiby music has been flawless.
Although the HiBy R5 is not perfect, IMHO, compared to the BT transmission of the iBasso DX160 and the HiBy R6, which I owned, the R5 BT is actually usable. I use the BT transmission mode to send LDAC to the iFi Zen Blue and it works a treat.

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #3,486 of 4,410

I'm talking about bt transmission, I've never had any problems in reciever mode but I'm also usually very close to the source.

Also looks like the new r6 is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Not for me at that size though:wink: but I can see the value in that price for the package. Well I guess like fiio hiby is really good at value. Some people got r5 for 300 dollars and that's a steal in my book.

Yes, I agree about how good the R5 sounds for the money!

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #3,487 of 4,410
One thing that I have experienced and can't figure out is the following. When playing longer songs on the R5 via Amazon Music HD, sometimes the unit jumps to the next song in the playlist at about the 1/3 to 1/2 through the song. I have tried deleting the song and downloading again, and that does not seem to fix the problem. Anybody have any guesses as to what may be going on?
It did that when I had the trial on my phone at the start of the year. Not just a R5 thing.

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #3,488 of 4,410
I've also noticed the sound skipping issue when using USB DAC mode - I thought it was my ears at first so reassuring to see that I'm not the only one experiencing this problem!
It's a shame as it means I'm less inclined to use my R5 in USB DAC mode.
Can't say I have ever noticed this when I have used it in DAC mode. Perhaps it's os related. I have used it on Linux and Mac OS for hours on end and no issues.

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #3,490 of 4,410
Although the HiBy R5 is not perfect, IMHO, compared to the BT transmission of the iBasso DX160 and the HiBy R6, which I owned, the R5 BT is actually usable. I use the BT transmission mode to send LDAC to the iFi Zen Blue and it works a treat.

Yep I do remember it being decent, both Ibassos I had were worse in that department. (Dx220, Dx160) im using fiio m5 for bluetooth headphones anyways.

Dec 20, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #3,491 of 4,410
Used on dac mode today- windows 10, didn't notice any issues.

Also just a heads up, I'm selling my r5 saber for a good price:wink: if anyones interested. It's too much dap for me really (r3 pro is plenty even though it doesn't sound quite as good) and I'm having fun just checking new stuff out. :)

Dec 22, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #3,492 of 4,410
Used on dac mode today- windows 10, didn't notice any issues.

Also just a heads up, I'm selling my r5 saber for a good price:wink: if anyones interested. It's too much dap for me really (r3 pro is plenty even though it doesn't sound quite as good) and I'm having fun just checking new stuff out. :)
Hey maybe its just me but I would keep the R5 and sell the R3Pro

Dec 22, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #3,494 of 4,410
The bass on the R5 is tighter and better extended. The treble has more detail and resolution. The imaging and instrument separation is superior, and soundstage has better depth and layering. The R5 just reveals more of what is present in the music. It just takes everything that the R3 Pro is capable of, and does it even better.

Dec 22, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #3,495 of 4,410
I had the original R3 briefly. It was purchased on crowdfunding (think it was Kickstarter). I did not care for it much; whereas I really like the R5. I realize the the R3 was updated to Pro, and for that that matter the R5 seems to have a mid cycle tweak / upgrade (Saber).

Kudos to HiBy; they seem to have figured out Android firmware. My sense is that FIIO is also on the right track. I have not checked in a while but Shanling a fews months back still was not up to speed. It feels a bit weird to me that at the moment I have nothing by Shanling as that used to be my go to brand. Things change pretty fast in chifi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back