R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:04 PM Post #3,406 of 4,410
This is probably about as much as you will find, without hearing it for yourself. Personally, I found that chip set to be a bit harsh and rough around the edges. I much prefer the Cirrus set for aggressive music. It really depends on what genres you primarily listen to.

Got one on the way :wink: I actually find the tuning and implementation to have more impact than the dac. I did consider the r5 warmer than quite a few of the daps I've used but I wouldn't call it warm but warm- ish. I don't expect there to be a ton of difference from the vanilla version. If it widens the stage and sounds a bit more neutral I'll be ecstatic.

I can use the peq on neutron if I need to adjust the sound.

As a total package r5 is unbeatable, great size, sound and features.

Nov 27, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #3,407 of 4,410
Thanks for the reply. Hass anyone also heard the Sparrow? I think it's about the same price?

Sparrow is phenomenal, especially out of balanced. It's 100 dollars more though. Only bad thing is it picks up emi easy.

Balanced is in the high end dap range imo. Best dongle I've heard. The Q is one of few I haven't heard but I'm confident in saying the Sparrow is a noticible step up.

Had the S1 also and liked the sound from the Sparrow better. Also I just turn off wireless when I use it and I get no interference.

Also must say fiio m5 is excellent BT transmitter and reciever. If you just want a tiny great sounding 'strong' BT trans/reciever. Still prefer an all in one solution so if r5 can compete will be selling Sparrow:wink:

Never loses signal, unlike hidiz ap80 or shanling m0.

Ok back to r5, sorry ot.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #3,408 of 4,410
The R5 is unmatched at this price point. The thing that makes this unit different from others in this price range is that it offers all of the detail retrieval you want, but does so without any hint of sibilance present. It gives the listener a neutral signature, but does so with just a hint of lower midrange warmth added in. This results in a musical and non-fatiguing sound, but with all of the detail from top to bottom in the frequency range being present. Many other units at this price range have a far brighter treble response, which is honestly a mistake if you are using IEMs. It can make things literally painful if you turn the volume up to even a moderate level. The R5 does not have this problem. No matter how loud it is, the music just sounds correct. I can not speak more highly about this unit for the price it is.

Nov 28, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #3,410 of 4,410
I was a bit surprised to see that HiBy actually described the base R5 as warm compared with the new Saber unit coming out. I always perceived the unit as neutral but perhaps everything I have heard is way warm and the R5 is slightly warm. You learn something new every day I suppose.
unless you using something like ortofon, most sound perceptions are from the uem you use

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:02 AM Post #3,413 of 4,410
I was a bit surprised to see that HiBy actually described the base R5 as warm compared with the new Saber unit coming out. I always perceived the unit as neutral but perhaps everything I have heard is way warm and the R5 is slightly warm. You learn something new every day I suppose.

I always felt the R5 was a bit warm on the top end, but I like this tonality.

Nov 28, 2020 at 8:00 PM Post #3,415 of 4,410
As long as you like it that's all that matters, and it depends on what you're used to. I had the dx220 'stock card' and caynin n6ii with the ess card, and the looto paw 6000 and Sony wm1A around the time I was checking out the r5. Compared to those daps it's a bit warm.

Not really warm per say, but I liked the wider stage on the others, but liked the size (and price) of the r5 better 😀 I'm hoping the stage is a bit bigger and just a bit more neutral say like dx160 would be cool.

That said I hope it doesn't have an etched or too metallic of a treble. Or it will quickly be on the for sale forums :).

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 11:08 PM Post #3,416 of 4,410
As long as you like it that's all that matters, and it depends on what you're used to. I had the dx220 'stock card' and caynin n6ii with the ess card, and the looto paw 6000 and Sony wm1A around the time I was checking out the r5. Compared to those daps it's a bit warm.

Not really warm per say, but I liked the wider stage on the others, but liked the size (and price) of the r5 better 😀 I'm hoping the stage is a bit bigger and just a bit more neutral say like dx160 would be cool.

That said I hope it doesn't have an etched or too metallic of a treble. Or it will quickly be on the for sale forums :).

waitin’ on impressions ...

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:14 AM Post #3,418 of 4,410
Nov 29, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #3,419 of 4,410
No they ship worldwide, it's the official hiby ali express store. I will say r6 pro treble is a bit more rolled off than r5. I just saw r5 on ebay for 455.00, yikes.

Nov 29, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #3,420 of 4,410
No they ship worldwide, it's the official hiby ali express store. I will say r6 pro treble is a bit more rolled off than r5. I just saw r5 on ebay for 455.00, yikes.
Yeah the stock is in RF and won't ship outside of I believe. Or certainly doesn't to the UK. Had the same thing with their remaining r5 stock when I didn't understand why I could see stock, but wouldn't ship. They explained and said no more r5 stock so

Users who are viewing this thread

Back