R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Nov 12, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #3,302 of 4,410
Yeah I’m having the same problem. Tried at least a dozen times with the same error message.
remove micro sd, as usual

Over at Aliexpress, Hiby has the R6 Pro on sale at their store for a shockingly low 425.81 US. This is the lowest it has ever been. I just figured I would let everyone know.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...g0o.store_home.promoteWysiwyg_4000000433420.1
with r5 being so impressive already, doubt im gonna step it up anytime soon

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #3,303 of 4,410
I received my R5 yesterday and am very impressed. The sound quality is excellent -- this is my first DAP so I have nothing to compare it to, but it sounds great to me. System-wide MSEB is wonderful -- I haven't played with it much yet but the ability to change the sound signature is really unique to Hiby and one of the reasons I decided to go with the R5.

I was hesitant to order it because of the known battery issue, but my unit barely gets warm when charging or streaming. The WiFi is very solid and on par with my other devices.

Bluetooth really does require line of sight and if you try to force the highest LDAC rate in developer settings it gets choppy sometimes. But it seems to be able to maintain the second highest rate fairly well.

Does anyone know whether there is a utility or a separate app to display the current LDAC rate? The unit sometimes reverts to the adaptive rate setting and it would be useful to know how much of the time it emits at what LDAC rate.

In any case, thanks to everyone in this thread for sharing their thoughts. I love researching products before I buy them, and this was definitely a great purchase, and not just for the money.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #3,305 of 4,410
you need to plug in an iem before setting it up, same with the 4.4
Just want to say thanks, that was indeed the issue!
Agreed on the worthiness of the R5. 👍 I updated my R5 yesterday and had no issues with the tray being inserted.
Same-same, I would have removed my card if I'd remembered, but I forgot and the update worked fine.
On some devices, with offline streaming content stored on the sd card, if you remove the card for any reason, the streaming services app will remove all your stored content forcing you to download it all again, but to be honest I can't remember if this happened to me with previous R5 updates (I usually remove the card but I'm sure I forgot one before too).
Over at Aliexpress, Hiby has the R6 Pro on sale at their store for a shockingly low 425.81 US. This is the lowest it has ever been. I just figured I would let everyone know.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...g0o.store_home.promoteWysiwyg_4000000433420.1
That's a superb price, and even though I really prefer the size of the R5, I'd have considered the 6 pro at that price, especially if it had a volume wheel, but it doesn't and:
with r5 being so impressive already, doubt im gonna step it up anytime soon

Yeah, me too.
I got a Qudelix 5K recently, and while it is hugely impressive for a BT device (even better than the BTR5 IMO, 5K sound is of a very similar quality, maybe very slightly better than the Fiio, but BT stability of Qudelix @LDAC 990 is WAAAY better than the BTR5 I had) The Hiby R5 just sounds so much more engaging and pleasent to listen to though (not that the Qudelix is unpleasant by any means), bass (Hiby) seems to provide a more concrete foundation somehow, and clarity up top and throughout the FR generally is better, yet avoids the very slight 'edgy' quality present on some upper mid and treble playback via the Qudelix (I find myself gritting my teeth a little with the Qudelix, only very occasionally though).
The sound is just more mature somehow as well, it's easier to get lost in/enraptured by the music on the Hiby.
Unfair comparison I know, but it's a comparison, not an equivalency, and the R5 is much more satisfying to me.
I'm keeping the Q5 though, it'll be useful for those time when I think I might want some tunes to listen to, but I also don't want to risk losing my R5 whilst train surfing or leaping fences to evade the police 🚨.

I feel no need to consider a Sabre R5, but I would be seriously tempted by an R5 with a volume wheel.

Nov 12, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #3,306 of 4,410
Is it a good deal of R5, US$289?
Screenshot_20201112-224925_AliExpress.jpg

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:46 PM Post #3,311 of 4,410
The R5 has such a dynamic, musical, and engaging sound. I have been very impressed with it since I got it about a week ago. I don't think this DAP can be beat for sound quality in the 300-400 US price range.

Very impressive dap for the money. I wonder if the new R5 will continue to use Cirrus dacs ...

Nov 12, 2020 at 8:58 PM Post #3,312 of 4,410
With regard to the updated firmware; my unit finally offered that to me last night. It installed over the air with no hitch. I did not need to remove my memory card.

I have barely begun to use the new firmware. My initial reaction is positive. Who knows if it will last, but the forward and back track buttons worked with Amazon HD. At one time they worked in the past for a day or two then stopped working. That was a known challenge of working with Amazon, but at least for now it looks like HiBy came up with a workaround. But keep in mind that this could stop working based on a previous experience.

I also want to thank Joe Bloggs for encouraging the new feature that allows volume to be set separately for line out and phone out. I have not used it yet since I am traveling, but at home I love to feed the unit to the auxiliary input to the car which demands full volume to the 3.5 output. But before this update that would blast my ears (and probably hurt the IEM) for my balanced out. Now it appears that this is fixed in an elegant fashion. I do know that other units with HiBy firmware have had that feature and it is great to have that feature on the R5.

For that matter, I would like to hear more from Joe. I started working with him back in the FIIO days and have always enjoyed the experience.

As others have stated, I think this is one of the best personal hifi values on the market today. And yes, $299 is a fair price (what I paid a while back). I think I saw it for less once but really $299 for this kind of quality blows me away. And knock on formica but I have never had a battery problem. I had a HiBy R3 once and did not like the sound whereas I have really enjoyed the R5.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back