R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
May 31, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,296 of 4,410
Please see my quote above yours^
All class 10, two U1's one U3.
BTW where are these video settings that you have disabled, I can't find them for the life of me?
Quick question Q

For all these cards, were they formatted as external or internal storage for the r5?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 31, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #2,297 of 4,410
Quick question Q

For all these cards, were they formatted as external or internal storage for the r5?
I chose external, should I have picked internal?

I can't remember what format I chose when formatting the card on my pc after checking it's capacity with H2testw, ex-fat I think.
I always allow any device I'm installing an sd card in to format when first inserting it, so if the R5 requested permission to format the card, I would have granted it.

I'm fairly certain that I chose external though.
How would I go about double checking these settings?

May 31, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #2,298 of 4,410
I chose external, should I have picked internal?

I can't remember what format I chose when formatting the card on my pc after checking it's capacity with H2testw, ex-fat I think.
I always allow any device I'm installing an sd card in to format when first inserting it, so if the R5 requested permission to format the card, I would have granted it.

I'm fairly certain that I chose external though.
How would I go about double checking these settings?
It's alright, if you don't know what I'm talking about, it must have been external, which is the recommended way to go. (as that is the default, and won't change unless you went out of your way to change it to internal))

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 31, 2020 at 7:36 AM Post #2,299 of 4,410
It's alright, if you don't know what I'm talking about, it must have been external, which is the recommended way to go. (as that is the default, and won't change unless you went out of your way to change it to internal))
Nope, didn't do anything like that.

I don't want to jinx things, and it's very early days, but I I'm currently on my third lengthy session since updating Spotify and no stops so far.
I have had periods where playback has been fine over multiple sessions before, so I'm not calling 'FIXED' yet, but my fingers are crossed SO hard they've gone white!
I haven't changed anything else recently (simply ran out of things to try).
Pray for me.

And thanks for keeping on this BTW @Joe Bloggs

May 31, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #2,300 of 4,410
Nope, didn't do anything like that.

I don't want to jinx things, and it's very early days, but I I'm currently on my third lengthy session since updating Spotify and no stops so far.
I have had periods where playback has been fine over multiple sessions before, so I'm not calling 'FIXED' yet, but my fingers are crossed SO hard they've gone white!
I haven't changed anything else recently (simply ran out of things to try).
Pray for me.

And thanks for keeping on this BTW @Joe Bloggs
Hashtag non glitching spotify playback is a must any use to you?

May 31, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #2,301 of 4,410
Hi All, probably this request for advice should go for other forums but I don't want to spread the same question and boring others. So let's start here.

Today I have received my first balanced 4.4m cable to check against R5. It is a cheap cable (https://www.ebay.es/itm/Balance-cable-4-4MM-Male-for-Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-ATH-M40x-ATH-M70x-headphone/202153288953?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) for my closed ATH-M40x as I was a little sceptic about the real SQ increase on balanced output, but it really works it's much better than the 3.5mm unbalanced; I also think this cheap cable is better than stock cable.

My usual rings are
  • iMac - Audirvana (Tidal) - Chord Mojo - unbalanced MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open 1.0 (EFO)
  • Hiby R5 - UAPP (Tidal & SD Tracks) - Chord Mojo - unbalanced MrSpeakers Ether Flow Open 1.0 (EFO)
  • Hiby R5 - UAPP (Tidal & SD Tracks) - ATH-M40x (now balanced), when more hearing than listening
  • Hiby R5 - UAPP (Tidal & SD Tracks) - Etymotic ER4PT or V-MODA Forza Metallo Wireless (aptX), when travelling to avoid extra weight and risk of losing Mojo
The next step is to buy a good cable for the EFO, and after discussing with Matt it's sure the Forza Audio Works Claire Hybrid will be the choice.
And here comes the question for advice (sorry for the above long context):
  1. Do I get the option of 3.5mm unbalanced to get the best from my Mojo?
  2. Do I get the option of 4.4mm balanced to get the best from R5 and maintain the stock cables?
Thanks in advance for your replies. Cheers.
You can find both short cable adapters and plug adapters to go from your 4.4mm cable to anything 3.5mm unbalanced. I use one every day with my Burson Playmate (which permanently has a 6.5mm adapter plugged in). Once I got my R5, I switched over most of my "regular" gear to 4.4 and I haven't looked back. The extra power is the difference for me.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:35 AM Post #2,303 of 4,410
I'm experiencing sound artifacts when using USB Dac mode. There are cracks every minute or so, similar to when needle jumps on a vinyl.
Anyone having this issue? It is present when using Tidal windows app.
try another USB cable

Jun 1, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #2,304 of 4,410
You can find both short cable adapters and plug adapters to go from your 4.4mm cable to anything 3.5mm unbalanced. I use one every day with my Burson Playmate (which permanently has a 6.5mm adapter plugged in). Once I got my R5, I switched over most of my "regular" gear to 4.4 and I haven't looked back. The extra power is the difference for me.
Thanks, I knew it’s not possible from unbalanced to balanced but good to know reverse way it works, so this configuration let me get profit o both worlds and go on with Mojo and same cable.
Could you please me advice of one good 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter?

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #2,305 of 4,410
Thanks, I knew it’s not possible from unbalanced to balanced but good to know reverse way it works, so this configuration let me get profit o both worlds and go on with Mojo and same cable.
Could you please me advice of one good 4.4mm balanced to 3.5mm unbalanced adapter?
DD Hi-fi (https://www.ddhifi.com/) has some really cool ones that are plug adapters. Fiio has some short cable ones (LL-4.4M) that's also really nice. I have both, it's really about your preference. I also got one from Ali that's very nice.

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #2,306 of 4,410
Hi. Need some advice:

I'm looking for a mid-fi DAP but purely for enjoying FM radio.

1) Does R5 offers FM?
2) If yes, can the side buttons be used to skip/change FM preset stations without using screen?
3) Any pricier DAPs from HiBy or others that come with FM Radio?

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #2,307 of 4,410
Hi. Need some advice:

1) Does R5 offers FM?
2) If yes, can the side buttons be used to skip/change FM preset stations without using screen?
i dont think any of them carry FM antennas, but you can download the radio station's app and do wifi stream of the station

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:51 AM Post #2,308 of 4,410
i dont think any of them carry FM antennas, but you can download the radio station's app and do wifi stream of the station

The earphones/headphones act as the antenna for FM, I am afraid. But thank you for the digital radio option suggestion. Very tempting. Will check it out. As of now, traditional FM radio is important to me where I am living.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:25 AM Post #2,309 of 4,410
The earphones/headphones act as the antenna for FM, I am afraid. But thank you for the digital radio option suggestion. Very tempting. Will check it out. As of now, traditional FM radio is important to me where I am living.
for that to work, it also needs hardware for FM inside the source, that's why modern phones mostly dont have fm ability anymore

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #2,310 of 4,410
Hi. Need some advice:

1) Does R5 offers FM?

I think the Hidizs AP80 & AP80 Pro have FM

https://www.hidizs.net/products/ap80-pro

Users who are viewing this thread

Back