R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
May 5, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #2,161 of 4,409
I use Tidal in my R5 connected to Mojo - do you mean I don't get bit perfect for the HiFi subscription I have?
I understood R5 introduces the direct audio output to avoid Android problems; is Tidal using this output or HiBy app is the only one to get benefit of this?
src bypass is only broadcast on dap itself, any attachments will default to what the attachment can do in non bitperfect

unless you uapp it

May 5, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #2,162 of 4,409
not had problems with battery drainage but accuracy on touch the touchscreen is a bit hit and miss when selecting next track on amazon
might be the THICC screen protector, i also face touch issues with sp, but then its still tolerable

May 6, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,163 of 4,409
might be the THICC screen protector, i also face touch issues with sp, but then its still tolerable
ive taken the screen protector off, its not really a problem to be fair, just didnt realise how small the player was, but super happy with the product

May 7, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #2,165 of 4,409
Is it impossible to connect an iOS Hiby app to the R5's Android Hiby app? I want to control the R5 via a larger iPad screen but they refuse to stay connected.

Using an Iphone 8 running iOS 13.4.1

No issues controlling R5 via Hiby app on my phone. My use case is to initially plug the Hiby R5 into the back of my Topping D50s DAC (USB via OTG) and control it via Wi-Fi from my Iphone on the couch.
Note* make sure "Hiby Server" is enabled on the R5 - Hiby app itself. Also note** the number of the R5 in brackets i.e. (105/106 etc) that will be displayed.

For me, the knack was to start the Hiby app up first on the Hiby R5 , plug it into my Dac.. then let Hiby app take exclusive control (window pop-up) [ignore this bit if your not plugging into a DAC]

I then boot the Hiby app up on my Iphone (with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enabled).. Note*** ensure "Hiby Link" is enabled on the iPhone Hiby app first. Always use "search for devices" (unfortunately, the previously found device never works again for me.).. you should now see your device with brackets i.e. R5(105) or R5(106) etc) after search complete.

Click on the Hiby R5 device relevant.

Hopefully you establish the link.. click the "music" icon.. and your good to go.

May 7, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,166 of 4,409
src bypass is only broadcast on dap itself, any attachments will default to what the attachment can do in non bitperfect

unless you uapp it

Thanks for the explanation.
Then I have to open UAPP and from UAPP run Tidal?
Or once UAPP is up & running, Tidal app can see UAPP as an output?
I am looking for the best way to get bit-perfect/SQ from R5 when connected to Mojo.

I have ordered balance cable for my headphones when using R5 standalone.

May 7, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2,167 of 4,409
I am looking for the best way to get bit-perfect/SQ from R5 when connected to Mojo.

You open UAPP, log into Tidal via settings and then play Tidal's catalogue using UAPP's interface. You don't leave the UAPP app.

May 7, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #2,168 of 4,409
You open UAPP, log into Tidal via settings and then play Tidal's catalogue using UAPP's interface. You don't leave the UAPP app.

True, just working in this mode, but I have discovered UAPP can not access to Tidal offline, so if not wifi signal UAPP cannot play Tidal offline, crap!
It works great with Mojo, and even using the unbalanced 3.5mm output, UAPP deliver a better SQ than Tidal.
Anyway of UAPP playing Tidal offline?

May 7, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #2,169 of 4,409
True, just working in this mode, but I have discovered UAPP can not access to Tidal offline, so if not wifi signal UAPP cannot play Tidal offline, crap!
It works great with Mojo, and even using the unbalanced 3.5mm output, UAPP deliver a better SQ than Tidal.
Anyway of UAPP playing Tidal offline?
Unfortunately no, UAPP is online only so far.

May 7, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #2,170 of 4,409

you can use tidal offline , it decodes mqa and src bypass is system wide

May 7, 2020 at 9:47 PM Post #2,171 of 4,409
Hopefully you establish the link.. click the "music" icon.. and your good to go.

Thanks — finally got it to work. This whole time I thought it connected via Bluetooth like it did with my Cayin N3. But all I would get is a perpetual spinning wheel when I tried Bluetooth with the R5. Same thing happened with Wi-Fi — until I turned off the VPN on my iPad.

The other odd thing is that the brackets only showed up for the WiFi connection, not the Bluetooth.

May 8, 2020 at 3:52 AM Post #2,172 of 4,409
Not via USB out it's not, your at the mercy of Android then. Only the inbuilt amp/DAC avoid SRC. So no mqa or bit perfect when using an external DAC unless you use UAPP , but due to music rights permissions only Tidal apps can do offline play same goes for Qobuz, Spotify, etc.

May 8, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #2,173 of 4,409
I got this, but as said in the previous reply, HP -> Mojo -> UAPP in R5 -> ONLY Tidal Online
That's the reason (Tidal offline) I have to use more R5 standalone, when Mojo is out of battery, and when traveling as I do with less number of devices, I am considering to invest on new balanced cables for my MrSpeakers EFO as today I am using them through Mojo only.

Do you really notice the difference of using balanced output compared to unbalanced in R5?

May 8, 2020 at 6:52 AM Post #2,174 of 4,409
I got this, but as said in the previous reply, HP -> Mojo -> UAPP in R5 -> ONLY Tidal Online
That's the reason (Tidal offline) I have to use more R5 standalone, when Mojo is out of battery, and when traveling as I do with less number of devices, I am considering to invest on new balanced cables for my MrSpeakers EFO as today I am using them through Mojo only.

Do you really notice the difference of using balanced output compared to unbalanced in R5?
i found the sound with mojo more neutral than it in standalone

May 8, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #2,175 of 4,409

on my hd650 and LCD-2c, 3.5mm sounds more "constrained" than what i remember the cans are at capacity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back